AuthorTopic: How did the old masters create their pixel artwork (e.g. Simon the Sorcerer)?  (Read 33245 times)

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange
Dusty, please reread my posts I was nothing but appreciative and polite about the feedback I got.
Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile
Bkeegan, you deleted most of your responses. You said something about me sounding crass and you're right, I did. I was trying to be blunt and not pull any punches, but I should have listened to the golden rule about a page ago and not have been an ass. I just hope this thread doesn't sour you experience, and I wish you wouldn't victimize yourself so much.

Speaking of "no rants" I wonder if next time something like this comes around we should start enforcing that rule in earnest. I wonder if the cumulative 'letting off steam' benefits of threads like these are worth the negatively charged atmosphere.

Definitely. Having sipped from these brackish waters possibly more than anyone, I can tell you ranting is, in general, not worth the mental effort. I'd say pronounce this the official Pixelation 2010 Rant Thread, let people get in their last words, and shut it down.

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange
Bkeegan, you deleted most of your responses. You said something about me sounding crass and you're right, I did. I was trying to be blunt and not pull any punches, but I should have listened to the golden rule about a page ago and not have been an ass. I just hope this thread doesn't sour you experience, and I wish you wouldn't victimize yourself so much.

I can deal with people telling me my work is rubbish as long as they provide some constructive feedback (which they did, thanks helm and rawsushi) but when I get pointed to the "rules" section for stating my opinion on something (whether or not my opinion is right) as if I broke some rule and then be chastised for not being grateful for help with my art (which I felt I went out of my way to express gratitude).  All this happening in the first couple days of using a site does not inspire me to continue use of said site. There are plenty of ways to learn that don't involve the hassle of forum drama.

I deleted my posts because I am ceasing use of this site. The ones I kept relate to actual pixel art being critiqued and refined and not stupid drama.

P.S. Yes admittedly, I was wrong about dithering. I have used dithering effects in the past to create texture but I just thought the term "dithering" referred to the optical illusions of shades.

-Cheers
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:27:12 am by Bkeegan »
Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile
But you even deleted your very first post. Was that "stupid drama"? It just bugs me because it's made that useful thread sort-of incoherent. It was full of thoughtful examples & now it's unintelligible.

Even the offending response from blumunkee... I though it was pretty clear he was invoking the rules to point out that they "[say] nothing of what constitutes pixel art", not intimidate you into assimilation. & he was gracious enough to apologize anyway!

It's sort of incredible.
I love you guys.

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange
You're right, I'll fix those, I can at least add the original images - perhaps I was a bit aggressive.

EDIT: I've re-added what I could recall to the original thread.

Think about it from my perspective for a second. I make a thread looking stating that I'm a noobie and  for C&C, my first response is unwelcoming (i know that's not the spirit of pixelation). It then gets mostly ignored. I go to other threads and I try to provide some C&C (of course due to my experience level, what I can do is limited, but still trying to contribute) My stuff only gets some proper C&C when I inadvertently draw attention to myself by wrongly defining the scope and dithering.

So I got some good feedback from Helm and rawsushi and I tried to make it clear that I was both very appreciative and willing to try their suggestions. Helm suggested that I take a more purist approach (even if in the end I don't want to be that) so I tried using a limited palette of colors.

And then I get accused of "taking helpful replies and blowing them out of proportion into something negative", what the crap? I was even polite to the guy who actually responded in a negative way. That was really what tipped me over.

EDIT: I've given it some thought and cooled down a bit. I'd like to apologize to pixelation community. I didn't intend to cause issues, I just want to be a better pixel artist. If you guys would accept my apology and move on from this I would like to continue to be apart of this community.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:35:01 pm by Bkeegan »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Hey man, no worries. I can definitely remember how it is to join an art community for the first time and how even a couple of indifferent or even just one slightly aggressive post can make one think they're not welcome. It happened to me back when I joined Pixelation...5 6 7 years ago? (not sure about the exact date). One of the first replies to me was an one-liner accusation that I was ripping off St0ven that made me feel like 'wow, this place is harsh', heh.

It helps in you try to not have that view that people are against you on the whole when you get some negatively charged feedback in a new art place. I am one of the older moderators here and I do not harbor any ill will against you, for example. Feel free to peruse the forums and see if they have something to offer you, try to not draw too much attention to your opinions until they're the result of a few years of experience, heh :)

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange
Thanks Helm,

I guess it did feel like the world was against me so I got defensive. I'm also more accustomed to participating in forums in my primary field of expertise so my opinions already are based off years of experience.