AuthorTopic: New Game BG  (Read 5190 times)

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

New Game BG

on: March 04, 2010, 01:31:51 pm
Hey everyone,

I've made some progress on this piece and I am looking for some Feedback on the background and if you have some time, the character as well.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Re: New Game BG

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 02:57:09 pm
First, is this the entire background?

If not, you can't make it scroll because of the perspectivic effect you've made at the floor
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:41:06 pm
This is the entire background. There will be no scrolling effects as the character never moves.

Offline Starscream

• Transform!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:05:05 pm
Desaturate the background tiles a bit, and maybe lower the brightness a hair. The character needs to pop more.
Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies.

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:56:26 pm
I will give that a go tomorrow when I resume this project. I'll post the progress

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 07:20:20 am
scrolling the floor wouldn't be much of an issue on a good engine: it's just a matter of having line-by-line scrolling speed, as you would find in e.g. Shadow of the Beast.
Is that a LEGO head I spot on the machine ?

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 12:46:07 pm
scrolling the floor wouldn't be much of an issue on a good engine: it's just a matter of having line-by-line scrolling speed, as you would find in e.g. Shadow of the Beast.
Is that a LEGO head I spot on the machine ?

The floor will be stationary as the character is never meant to move, however thanks for the example because I might re do the treadmill in the back so it looks more like the flooring. That is a lego inspired character you see, we call him bolt/plug head.

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange

Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:23:53 pm
First of all, looks great mate! I love the style and the colors - reminds me of some of the megaman games.

one thing I noticed though:

Inconsistent shading: I was trying to figure out where exactly the light source is coming from.

-the gray block has the light source set coming right from above.
-the blue and green arms look like it has 3 light sources, one on either side and then one right above.

Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:52:07 pm
First of all, looks great mate! I love the style and the colors - reminds me of some of the megaman games.

one thing I noticed though:

Inconsistent shading: I was trying to figure out where exactly the light source is coming from.

-the gray block has the light source set coming right from above.
-the blue and green arms look like it has 3 light sources, one on either side and then one right above.

Thanks for the comment. Indeed Megaman was my inspiration for such a game, actually everything Capcom/Konami/Square is my daily inspiration.

I wasn't trying to give a definitive light source. My aim was to push the colours to make the shape I wanted to see while using no black lines. Everything I've done in this game is brand spanking new for me also. Definitely I need more practice in pushing the colours to show some sort of general light source. I'll be keeping that in mind on the next game project.

If you have a tip to pass my way I would love to read them :) thanks.