AuthorTopic: TBS RPG sprites  (Read 8919 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: TBS RPG sprites

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 08:59:54 am
Yeah thats true which is because Im not an artist.
I'd dispose of that kind of thinking. If you're working on art, interacting with an art community to gain ideas and receive critique and reviewing art theory to improve your technique, you are an artist.  ;)

Ill check that out, but the head was meant to be intentionally bigger since its a side top view but I knew I didn't convey that well enough.
The angle is generally referred to as 3/4 oblique, or just 3/4 view. Making the head bigger/body smaller is a perspective method known as foreshortening, but it doesn't really apply to oblique projections because lines remain parallel to the axes regardless of distance from the viewer.
Typically sprites have larger heads because there's not much canvas space to convey facial expressions at such low resolutions, so the artists  alter the proportions to maximise the space they have to work with.

Bit of an edit:

Colour unification, clarity of face and hair, more defined shading. Maybe try taking a look at Chrono Trigger sprites for ideas.

Offline Trub

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 10:13:17 am
Wow Thanks! Your right I am an artist just not an experienced one. Thanks for the technical advice. But yeah I always found the skin colour tough to work with. Yor edit shows me that is was too yellow (porabably partly because I started off using the default GraphicsGale's pallatte). Was probably going to change hair as well but I was trying to work on other things, unfortunately I love pixel arting too much. those blue pixels in the pants seem off-putting to me? Also do you know any sprite tutorials that explain colour unification? I've heard of it but never read how to do it.

Offline Trub

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:17 am
Ok this is my final (probably shouldn't speak to soon) sprite. Need to work on others! This time with less help.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:15:58 am
Doesn't look that finished at the head. The hair looks too blobish.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Trub

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:54 am
Your right. I knew I could improve the hair but I just can't seem to get it right.

Offline Trub

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 10:53:17 am
Final?

Should I make hair more like this? (Battle for Wesnoth)

http://units.wesnoth.org/trunk/C/Rogue.html one on left
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:07:57 am by Trub »

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 02:07:29 pm
The hair is much better now.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair