AuthorTopic: [WIP] Yggdrasil  (Read 8439 times)

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP] Yggdrasil

on: February 27, 2010, 06:24:07 pm

been working on this on and off for a while, got some good crits from the crowd at pixeljoint and at #pixelation, here's where i am on it at the moment.

yggdrasil is a giant tree from norse mythology that is basically the 'tree of life.' this is but one interpretation of how it could look.

i'd really like input on the colors and mood. i want the top half to create a "happy, love, life" feel, whereas when you go down, you are pulled into a darker, more "dreary, desolate" feel.

crits on pixeling and design are good, too. it's really fun playing with the idea of something and interpreting it as your own; yet i would like others' personal interpretation of the design and idea, as well. this piece is quite the endeavor, and in-between soccer and school it will be a good relaxation device, i'd say! haha.

thanks in advanced!  :)

-Dex

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Re: [WIP] Yggdrasil

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:00:42 pm
The clouds look more like exploded marshmallows to me.  The point where the blue hits the murky green is also throwing me off, it seems a little sudden - maybe some dither or AA would help.  Otherwise, the tree looks good, and the form of the island is nice.  It could use a tad more contrast, but it's great otherwise!

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:39:30 pm
The clouds are unnatural, they look like they're forming around the object and that's not how clouds roll.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:52:16 pm
this is probably one of my favourite of your pieces   :y:. anyway, i feel like the whole thing looks too smooth. its really soft on the eyes, which is nice, but nothing stands out or has any impact.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:08:57 pm
The clouds are unnatural, they look like they're forming around the object and that's not how clouds roll.

Mind you, this is the TREE OF LIFE, the fact that the clouds don't behave naturally around it might just be deliberate.

I think something like that might be needed to express the magic-ness of the tree.
' _ '

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:32:16 pm
Yes, I agree.

As an artist, you're often supposed to bend things out of realism, to enhance the actual artwork.

Offline snakesqzns

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 01:05:22 am
I think the background is a bit too distracting from the tree.  Maybe a little more contrast to pop it out a bit?  You could probably push the colors overall some as well.

Also the large root on the right seems out of place.

You might consider casting some shadows on the statues and undergrowth...

Also a tree is supposed to have as much root as it has tree...and it seems like your roots are much bigger/deeper than they should be.

I think you're having fun with some whimsical risks here, but overall being too safe.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:50:02 am
ohh massive potential in this piece, looking nice as is. Be sure to render the tree/trunk and figures much sharper than everything else, if they are going to be the focal point.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:33:35 am
There are some composition issues, I'm not sure I see them all clearly yet.

The clouds upper limit is tangent to the tree top, which is distracting because they already have not too dissimilar textures and tones.

The bg textures (both clouds and 'rock') have lines that 'go around' the center, which tends to make the eye wander aimlessly. Pointing those features towards the center might help.

The light is too even, both bg and fg. The typical idea would be to have a well-lit tree, darker ground level and darkest underground. Other options would be nice too: inverted, lightest in the middle, etc. The bg light gradient might be opposite to the fg's.

And maybe for a tree that's as unique as this, you'd expect wilder colors.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 04:27:42 pm
also, a cloud pattern sort of like this one

would put the focus on the tree without looking so oddly shaped