Critique > Pixel Art

I'd like some feedback on a grass tile.

(1/2) > >>

ShakaRule:
Hello

I'm trying to make some pixel art. Im not an artist, i cant draw at all. But I'd like to learn.
I've got 2 tiles made right now.
32x32:

16x16:

16x16 in a grid(3x3):

32x32 in a grid(3x3):

This is my first ever pixelart. Im open to any feedback :) Especially the bad things :)

Thanks
ShakaRule

Curly:
Well the first one is just randomly placed pixels. Try to avoid that.

The second one is way better. There's less noise and you can see some purpose in the placement of the pixels. Still a bit random but there's some meaning.
Look for tilesets from games you like or just google "16x16 grass tile" and you will find lots of references and ideas.

Chonky Pixel:
If you post images at the original size (not scaled up) then we can made edits to demonstrate points. We can also expand them ourselves by clicking on them.

What kind of game are you making these tiles for? What perspective will in have? Seen from directly above? Isometric? Etc. If you want to make great grass tiles, that will have an impact.

Also, is there a style of pixel art you want to go for? Can you provide examples of games that have a similar style?

I agree with Curly's comments, but we can do a lot better.

Mekeninzo:
I'm pretty terrible at pixel art; however, I have been focusing on the elusive grass tile for months and have finally figured out a passable method of creating them on a 16 x 16 scale. You need 4 different shades of green. Colour the entire 16 x 16 box in the darkest green. use the next brightest green to paint curved lines 1 pixel thick and about 5-8 pixels long. I tend to use a 3 by 2 by 1 method. Make sure non of the lines touch each other and try not to put the bottom of the grass blades in the same line or else it looks funny. Once the lines are drawn, add the brightest green to the tops and the last shade of green (one shade darker than the brightest) below the brightest green on the grass blade.

I attached an example for you to this post. Hope this helps.

ShakaRule:

--- Quote from: Curly on September 08, 2019, 07:15:28 pm ---Well the first one is just randomly placed pixels. Try to avoid that.

The second one is way better. There's less noise and you can see some purpose in the placement of the pixels. Still a bit random but there's some meaning.
Look for tilesets from games you like or just google "16x16 grass tile" and you will find lots of references and ideas.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Chonky Pixel on September 09, 2019, 11:43:57 am ---If you post images at the original size (not scaled up) then we can made edits to demonstrate points. We can also expand them ourselves by clicking on them.

What kind of game are you making these tiles for? What perspective will in have? Seen from directly above? Isometric? Etc. If you want to make great grass tiles, that will have an impact.

Also, is there a style of pixel art you want to go for? Can you provide examples of games that have a similar style?

I agree with Curly's comments, but we can do a lot better.

--- End quote ---

Im trying to make a top down rpg, in the style of pokemon(So i guess thats a 45 degree angel) but the graphics are more based on games like stardew valley or harvest moon. I like bright colors like in Pokemon fire red and stardew valley.

Here is the actual 16x16 pngfile:

Im not sure how i can actually give the file. but i uploaded it to imgur here:
https://i.imgur.com/YKFiQXL.png

And yes, the 32x32 is horrible, i first sprayed random, then tried drawing somekind of leaves over it. Ive moved to only trying 16x16 for now. Ive also made that grass tile with some dirt around it. Here:

Also made a naked character running down animtion:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version