General > General Discussion

Potential Activity

<< < (5/6) > >>

CFKaligula:
Why would new people participate in the contest if they know they have no chance of winning? I know that its mostly meant to be for fun, but not everyone sees it that way. I think you need to randomize the winner or find a different way to make newbies have a chance of winning.

MysteryMeat:

--- Quote from: CFKaligula on June 23, 2017, 08:45:41 am ---Why would new people participate in the contest if they know they have no chance of winning? I know that its mostly meant to be for fun, but not everyone sees it that way. I think you need to randomize the winner or find a different way to make newbies have a chance of winning.

--- End quote ---

I think running two contests would help mitigate any saltiness on skill-focused artists. One for technical skills, and one randomized. However, randomization seems to be a dangerous path since people could stuff votes with quick and crappy junk art. Obviously moderation could mitigate that, and it would be neat to have kind of a "speed draw" contest to see who can pump out the most at once. Thoughts?

As for prizes, fancy hardware for sure. Donations for a prize pool would help fund neat stuff like cintiqs for bigger contests.

Ma3vis:

--- Quote from: CFKaligula on June 23, 2017, 08:45:41 am ---you need to randomize the winner or find a different way to make newbies have a chance of winning.

--- End quote ---

I could use Community Critiques as an entry requirement instead, then select the winner like a lottery.
Those who post critiques under multiple topics would be entered in multiple times
This encourages and gives an advantage to users with frequent activity
It also allows newbies to participate

But there'll need to be a content restriction to prevent low-effort posting, which probably leads to trolls
Similar to what situation MysteryMeat described about stuffing votes with quick, crappy junk art

32:
I actually like the idea of a collaborative critique based competition. Something like all entrants submit a piece and are assigned some number of randomly selected participants who have to work with them to help develop their piece. The winner is the person who's piece shows the greatest level of improvement (decided by popular vote) rather than the "best" overall piece. Probably their assigned buddies would also get some share of the glory.

I feel like any outright competition undermines the ultimate goals of the site to a degree, but something like this would support our values.

Runensucher:

--- Quote from: 32 on June 24, 2017, 02:43:22 am ---I actually like the idea of a collaborative critique based competition. Something like all entrants submit a piece and are assigned some number of randomly selected participants who have to work with them to help develop their piece. The winner is the person who's piece shows the greatest level of improvement (decided by popular vote) rather than the "best" overall piece. Probably their assigned buddies would also get some share of the glory.

I feel like any outright competition undermines the ultimate goals of the site to a degree, but something like this would support our values.

--- End quote ---

This sounds great. I want! ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version