Critique > 2D & 3D

Crocodingus [iPhone version]

(1/8) > >>

madPXL:
The return of the cube-shaped crocodile!

This time, it will be a "commercial" version of the nindendo ds homebrew game to run on the iPhone.
Currently, I'm trying to do my best on it. I just learned Blender to work on 3D and I'm using cosmigo promotion for all of the textures. Gimp will be used to create mockups.

The first wip, but I'm not entirely happy with the global color. Maybe I will make sand instead of grass, or not...

some textures:

In need of C&C :)

madpxl.

ndchristie:
it could be my bad taste in colors but i think that there's an important range here (the blue) that you haven't explored in the context of a green map.

Might not be your groove but I think it works better.  Also in the future look for what the pink/fusia range might bring you in terms of variety and priority.

PypeBros:
- Green blobs at the top of walls are okay, but green blobs at their base imho don't do it. They show little coherence with the grass and are shaded in the wrong way.
Maybe some pebbles instead would be better, or just a plain grass/wall transition.

- Seconding ndchristie on the need for a better distinction between the grass and the playground elements. I barely played further than level 2 on DS due to the frustrating readability on my low-contrast DS-phat screen.

- Shadows on the ground for sign and palmtrees are nice, but they don't do it with flowers, imho. maybe an alternate shape would be better, or flowers that are more round-shaped. Btw, flowers are a nice opportunity to bring those pinks/fuschia ndchristie was talking of. they are distractingly reusing the same hues as the palmtree, atm.

dock:
Loving this! :) Saw it on your site a while ago, and I've been meaning to try it out on the DS.

I agree, the tree leaves need to be higher contrast, and in general things could do with higher contrast. For example, the walls could be darker and more red so that the crates and signposts show up against them better.

Is the water supposed to be a reflection? It would be nice if it were (using the whole flipped geometry trick), but right now it is just transparent.

nelis:
Love the environment! great style on everything.

I know that the whole point is to have everything blocky but i dont think it works on the character.
Your environment reminds me of the sonic series, but even there the character is fully fleshed out.
Maybe the blocky character design works better in a sidescroller type of setting, i just think you're gonna run into problems when you rigg and animate this character.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version