Critique > Pixel Art

[WIP] Space Guerrilla Character

<< < (2/2)

Kiana:
Much better! Don’t worry about your English - I can understand you just fine. :) I hope my comments are easy enough to understand with Google translate.

In reference to the new big sprites, “3/4 back” view (where the character is turned away from us, but not completely) is considered by many artists to be the most difficult angle to draw. I think you could lower the position of where the arm attaches a little bit, so we can see more of the area between the neck and shoulder (there is a muscle called the trapezius here).

For the shading, be mindful that the spine has an “S”-shaped curve to it. Under standard top-down lighting, the top of the shoulders will usually be lit, and then underneath it will be a shadow as the spine curves forward. This might be more subtle depending on how puffy the clothing your character is wearing is. You might be able to find some reference material if you search the keywords “3/4 back view” with Google. Or you could try looking behind yourself in a mirror.

Consider darkening the lines for the nose and mouth in the large sprites so they’re easier to see. You could recycle the color you used for the hair for this since it’s sufficiently dark.

I like the new small sprites. Your character is easily identifiable from them. A minor thing you could adjust is making the head bob more subtle, or making the body move more. The motion feels slightly unnatural when the head is moving much more than the body is.

The prototype is very cool! I like the hi-tech look. Although the floor tiles are a bit visually busy, the character stands out very well thanks to the high contrast. The green and yellow colors you used complement the color palette of your character nicely. Good job!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version