General > General Discussion

Isometrics (Pixipedia)

<< < (2/4) > >>

miascugh:
i think i've found a mistake in zoggles tut concerning the percentage, and i'll ellaborate on the 30° too, but i have no time at all right now. i'll get to it asap

miascugh:
ok, about the 30 degrees, for the common pc-iso perspective 30° is the angle between the 'view ray' and the groundplane, which, looking at a line (running along in the groundplane at an angle of 45°), creates the notorious 26,565°-lines that make up your iso-grid and when looking at a square you get a 2:1 ratio rectangle (see below, sorry for the size -_-*. i guess the setting-windows aren't too hard too decipher despite the evul german).

there indeed is a mistake in zoggles explanation, i got my 65,47% backed by the cad-program now too:
this by zoggles should actually either look like this or this

i hope that's a somewhat acceptable answer post, i'm quite drained still from the past week, so i don't really feel like writing much

Akira:
Uhh could there be a seperate topic for this more advanced iso on the wiki? You wouldn't want to freak out people who are just starting with the mathmatical side of things but you would want to keep this stuff for the people who want to convert to iso or make more correct/advanced pieces.

G_Dragon:
I think Zog's math is right though. Using simple trig, you can get 26.565.

Starting with what we know. We know the horizontal and vertical of the triangle (1/2, rise/run), which is 0.5.
Then we use some trig (yay!). We are trying to figure out the hypotenuse, and we have the opposite and adjacent. Now, we try to find which trig function we need to use. SOH, CAH, TOA. Sine=Opposite/Hypotenuse, Cosine=Adjacent/Hypotenuse, Tangent=Opposite/Adjacent. Since we don't know the Hypotenuse, we use the Tangent=Opposite/Adjacent. So, tan x=y/z, tan x=0.5, x=26.565. Also, if you plug in 27 into microsoft paint while skewing an image (Using the vertical skew), it'll give you a perfect iso line.

If my math is wrong, then please tell me :P

AlexHW:
yeah, but Zoggles doesn't keep in mind the depth aspect..

a simple picture is 2d, such as a painting.
now if you want to translate it into an isometric world which imitates depth, you need to keep in mind how the painting would tilt, and based upon the tilting into the z-axis, you figure the amount it needs to be shrunk in it's x and y dimensions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version