General > Archived Activities

Community Game Development Project

<< < (2/6) > >>

Skalle:
Yo there Alex. It seems you haven't mentioned anything about programming, and I think you know as well as I do these games won't make themselves. Are you the programmer, lead programmer, neither, or whatever? Might be good to know things about that. Might want to know about music, debugging too etc.

--- Quote ---Those interested in doing art for a game shall submit some examples of their
work and I will decide which team they get placed on. I will also decide what
type of art they will be doing. For example: I could tell one person to do
background tiles, another person to do linework & animations, and another person
to color the linework.. or I can make just one person do all the art, haha! But
I will likely not do that.

--- End quote ---

These I's seem to say that you are the man when it comes to decisions, though there are some things here I don't agree with completely. I think those who wish to participate should be able to apply for certain positions, like tileartist, AI programmer or sfx creator (or random for that matter, if they want to). The thing about you making one person do all the art seems stupid:(although you probably said it as a joke) there should be any number of artists I think, as long as they are not to many making it too messy.

--- Quote from: crab2selout.png on November 18, 2005, 09:57:42 pm ---Can anyone tell me the name of this puzzle game? You control a cannon at the bottom and it shoots coloured bubbles. At the top, rows of different coloured bubbles are added every x amount of seconds. The point is to shoot the bubbles so that they connect to bubbles of the same colours. Three or more and it pops. Also, if any balloons have no link to the ceiling they pop as well.

--- End quote ---

I think you're looking for the name "Bust a move". I was going to suggest this game too. There's also another version of the game I like, called FrozenBubble.

AlexHW:
At this point we do not need programmers, the majority of the work will be focused upon the visual and conceptual stages.
Once we surpass those stages and teams have a solid product to display, if possible, coders could be seeked out to construct a working program from the assets produced by the team. Those who work with sound can be seeked out as well.
From there, we can question how the games can be shared, whether there are any good ways to go abouts selling it if need be.

People are allowed to voice there interests in regards to a specific position, but that doesn't garuantee them it. I will be the one choosing like you said. Teams will be small, I'm thinking a maximum of 3 artists per team, but most likely there will be only 2 per team.

Conzeit:
Alex, what a great comunity activity, hopefully this catches on.

arent we forgetting about nyanyakoneko? he offers to make programmer-art games in his campaign, I'm sure he'd have no problem colaborating with this activity.

what I dont understand is, why a puzzle game in a art-based board? it makes no sense, puzzle games would seem like the typical project programmer only project, why have one of those here? seems like it would be much better to start off with a sidescroller, an adventure...hell even RPG or RTS.

AlexHW:
Thanks Camus,
I encourage people to be creative, but my intention is to be somewhat restrictive and minimal. By focusing upon the puzzle genre, I feel we can still maintain the creative aspect without being too excessive in regards to ideas and art. It is when things become bloated that issues may arrise such as people slacking or people being complexed over extra things.
By keeping things small and simple, it hopefully will allow us to make good progress and finish things. None of these projects will be huge, it's not worth trying to make a large game with this type of system where a team is put together on the fly. Normally you'd want to build your team first.

Derek_R:
Sounds liek a great idea Alex. I'd pitch in, but im out of time atm, and don't really think im up to any of the positions other than coder xD. Hope this all works out! Maybe if theres another later ill join up :).

good luck guys

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version