Critique > Pixel Art

Critique on Run Cycle

(1/3) > >>

Sammy:
Hey guys!
I made this run cycle for a game. I appreciate any critiques on how to improve it  :)

MysteryMeat:
where's their hips? looks like you confiscated their pelvis a bit, you might want to give it back :'p

Sammy:

--- Quote from: MysteryMeat on October 26, 2018, 04:27:43 pm ---where's their hips? looks like you confiscated their pelvis a bit, you might want to give it back :'p

--- End quote ---

My first language isn't English and I'm a little bit confused with what you said. So you're saying the hips should be bigger? It's the base sprite I'll use for a game. And it will be covered by clothes. I'm afraid it will look like a female if I make the hips bigger  ???

eishiya:
The problem with the hips isn't that they're too narrow, but that they're too squat, they need to be taller. If anything, extending them vertically will actually help make the character look less feminine.

Another problem is the character looks unbalanced because their feet are to far apart. A wide stance is fine when standing still, but when walking, it looks a little unnatural unless the character shifts their entire weight between feet with each step, which this character isn't doing. It also makes for a very "angry drunk guy swagger" look, which is nice for some individual characters, but probably isn't appropriate for a base character.

Bringing in the legs a pixel each also helps the thighs look narrower and more "masculine", and it helps reinforce the perspective, with their legs looking smaller since they're farther away from the "camera".

The character seems to be looking up. Their body is clearly seen from above, but the proportions on their face are as if we're seeing them from the front, eye-level with them. This creates the appearance that they're looking up. If they're looking forward, we'd see more of the top of their head, and their face would be lower on the head.

Sammy:
I thank you so much eishiya for the great suggestions. Helpful as always. I really appreciate it :)

I made the changes you suggested. Changed the hips some. And also brought in the legs a pixel each. Made the legs movement more natural.
Also brought the eyes down one pixel, so it doesn't seem like he's looking up.

Below is the second version I made based on your comment "it looks a little unnatural unless the character shifts their entire weight between feet with each step, which this character isn't doing."
I tried to make it look like the weight shifts with each step. Let me know if I did it right :noob:

Thanks again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version