Critique > Pixel Art

[WIP] How can I improve this piece ? Quiet island

(1/3) > >>

Ambroiz:
Hello everyone,

This is my first artwork for a side project.

(scroll horizontaly to see the full image)

I would appreciate to get your feedback and suggestions, especially on these points:

-perspective/ shadows.
The overall perspective feels weird. Do you have any tips?

-Trees and leaves
The leaves don't feel right..

-Textures
The overall impression feels too "flat". See what I mean?

Feel free if you have other suggestions :)

Thanks for your help!

Ambroiz

tessellata:
The reflections are not pixelated. This makes the image feel awkward to me.

Add depth to the sky by incorporating generic dithering or whatever technique you enjoy.

In my opinion, flat is OK.

Ambroiz:
Thank you @Tessellata for your feedback.
 I'll try generic dithering for the sky, and I'll also add some more details on the buildings (moss, rocks..) and see if it makes it better.

fskn:
I think the angle of the reflection is wrong... What we usually see when people try to do those is that they just mirror the image from top to bottom, and that's what it looks like you did there. So the perspective looks wrong, despite the camera being so far away and at a low angle.

So, for instance, if the islands have depth, I don't think you would be able to see all of the features that are just on top of the grass. And you would be seeing more of the underside of everything.

The colors of the shadowed parts and the lit parts being so close in luminance also help (in a bad way) to the feeling of flatness.

Chonky Pixel:
When shading things, be careful not to fall into the trap of just embossing everything.

Only got a few mins so here's a rough example.

The left object looks more like a solid sphere because thought is given to how the light will fall on a 3D object and produce areas of shade and highlight.

The right image looks like an embossed circle, because shading is just applied to the top-left and bottom-right areas of the shape, with no thought given to the volume of the object and how it will interact with light falling on it.

I'm looking at your rocks especially here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version