Critique > 2D & 3D

Realtime Rendering of 3d Meshes as Pixelart

(1/32) > >>

Howard Day:
Working on custom shaders and rendering in unity to make 3d objects render like classic pixel art. Some success so far! The web build is here: http://www.hedfiles.net/PixelShader/PixelShader.html

I'm going to put together a tutorial and release the source when it's closer to done-ish.
Enjoy!

Gil:
Oh hell yes. I was looking for something like this a while back. Combined with normal mapped pixel-art, we should be able to pull off some great stuff. I should get back into 3D.

Seems like there's still a fair amount of pixel noise. How much leeway is there left to eliminate that in a real-time situation? I imagine there must be a way to put basic cluster theory into a shader to get it just a bit better, but I can't imagine putting that into a pixel shader.

Howard Day:
Well, you can increase the AA quality. 2X AA was simply done for speed on mobile devices (though, honestly shadows are the slowest part right now).
Here it is with 8X AA:

It's pretty smooth.

Conzeit:
 :o Howard you did it again. that's pretty effn good. are you trying to Force me to learn 3D?  >:( :P

it's looking pretty nice so far. I saw something like this on tweeeeeter a while ago but it didnt look nearly as good, that example pretty much looked just like low res cel-shading, are you doing anything new here that you hadnt explained in that Irkalla mech topic?

Also, one of the most appealing things of pixelart is controling shade by shade how the hue and saturation changes with the luminosity ("hueshifting") and I do see that the ramps on these do not stay on the same hue or saturation, but they seem to bounce around without much reason. Are you tweaking the values of the ramps by choosing them manually or is it some other more automated way?

lachrymose:
Pretty sweet. I know of a japanese program that does something similar. Doesn't work with ATI cards though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version