AuthorTopic: Blue Falcon  (Read 12572 times)

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Blue Falcon

on: December 18, 2009, 03:13:30 am
I'm trying to model the Blue Falcon from F-Zero, and it looks pretty good to me so far. But once I tried to UV it, the UV map looks kind of funny. I'm not sure how to UV correctly, but I'm pretty sure that my UV doesn't look right. I'm using Blender, any thoughts?

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Re: Blue Falcon

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:49:35 am
Could you post a wire frame of the car/ship with out transparency on, it's a bit hard to see whats going on with the geometry.

The UV looks alright, its a bit weird but I think you could probably mirror some parts and put them on top of each other, most notably the sides and the top of the car. You could also probably make the underside smaller since it won't need a very large amount of texture animation. I'm not sure if you know how to move the UVs around and I don't use blender so I can't really help you out there if you don't.

I assume you are making this in a chibi/Choro Q kind of style? It looks really cool, I really look forward to seeing this textured :D

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:05:17 am
Straighten out those UVs. You'll have a hell of a time painting sharp details at a diagonal at that texture size. With smaller textures, you really want the UV edges to be as close to vertical/horizontal as possible without introducing too much stretching/warping. The main shell, for example; you can straighten out the back row of edges. The side panels should probably be overlaid on each other (go with the orientation of the top one). Looking at the flats, you're going to want to move and resize stuff to maintain similar texel density; right now the main shell is being given less than a quarter of the texture space, even though it's going to come under the greatest scrutiny. You can probably get rid of the underside entirely in the geometry, unless you plan on being able to see it, in which case you can still reduce the size of it in the unwrap significantly.

Also, what jakten said about the wires sans transparency. Show us wires from various angles.

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:36:59 am
This good? Nothing changed, just showing it from every angle.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:14:54 pm by bonofthedead »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 06:54:31 am
Could you post a wire frame of the car/ship with out transparency on, it's a bit hard to see whats going on with the geometry.

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:00:51 am
Like that?

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:10:55 pm

Offline Koi Kami Mauro

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:37:53 pm
Like that?

No, the opposite. Only the wires, not anything else.

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:38 pm
Is the geometry not a bit to "chubby"?
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/fzero/images/2/27/Blue_Falcon.jpg
I'm going for the SNES style. I don't know, I think the old chubby cars looked cooler.

I uploaded both the solid and wires.

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 01:40:41 am
I remade the model from scratch removing a lot of verts. I also got the UV looking right, though can't texture it at all. All in all, I think it looks better than the first one.