AuthorTopic: [wip] vine-invaded woods  (Read 25758 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

[wip] vine-invaded woods

on: November 25, 2009, 04:48:28 pm
Okay, you may remind my little world, where i progressively reworked my coder art into pixel art for my on-going homebrew game on the nintendo DS

latest update : progress done on the vines : progress done on the background colours
--

level maps as of 9/9/2009
Here comes the full-sized level (without the background) i'm using in the demo. I'm trying to polish it, as you will certainly notice not-yet-completed / missing elements. The two things i'd like comments on are the "background leaves" (obviously, i need a better trunk/leaves transition) and the "vines" element. I am unsure about the vine's shading, and i'm having hard time to tile it to a larger structure or to terminate it the way i'd like. Any suggestion/edits would be welcome.

Oh, and just to set the mood, a screenshot of the demo, with the character (the blue ball) and two ennemies (the bopping "funky funghi" and the "appleman") that will let you figure out the palette for the background. I'm somehow in an "artistic impasse", and haven't progressed for month. I'm currently digging the net for reference pixels and pictures.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:47:53 pm by PypeBros »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Re: [wip] help me improve my woods.

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:19:08 pm
I think the background tiles (the rocks) need to be a bit darker and less detailed. Right now they get in the way of the foreground for me. I'm thinking Bitmap brothers magic pocket kind of background tiles..

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:47:45 pm

Ignore the harsh border between the trunk tile and the "sky" background, tileset wasn´t created with that in mind.
-
My approach is to create a silhouette with a border(red line) and draw any details or platforms in there.
In that image here, 32x32 tiles are used. It should be even easier when using smaller tiles(like you do apparently  :crazy:).

And yeah, the rock tiles should be a bit darker, maybe even with a few gray spots here and there to indicate different kind of stones.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:05:43 am
My approach is to create a silhouette with a border(red line) and draw any details or platforms in there. In that image here, 32x32 tiles are used. It should be even easier when using smaller tiles(like you do apparently  :crazy:).
Point taken. I'll give it a try and adjust my level editor accordingly if it turns out to bring better results.

I'll post a tree built with that approach asap.

Anything on the "vines" shading ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:20:38 pm by PypeBros »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:41:44 pm
Anything on the "vines" shading ?

I think you're looking at them too much as abstractions in space and shading them by learned manner and not observation.  consider that in reality, most light on matte surfaces is not observed by direct reflection (where planes oriented towards the sun are bright, those away dark, and any curves a smooth direct transition between these), but rather shows the light that falls across the surface first.  Think of the moon - it's not a gradient.  There is a broad lighted area, a broad dark area, and then a transitional space which varies in size (due to irregular surfaces, dirtiness, reflected light).

Here are some references which better illustrate my point:
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/syria/images/palmyra/resized/colonnade-c-irma.jpg
http://employees.oneonta.edu/farberas/arth/Images/109images/greek_archaic_classical/parthenon/parthenon.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Wartburg-Colonnade.JPG - most useful
http://inchinapinch.com/hab_pgs/marine/mangrove/images/roots3.jpg
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:48:38 pm
Seems that you need more than 1 sprite for those floating bushes. They get rather repetitive.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:06:19 pm
Hey there!

Glad to see your still working on this! When I was working on my other games, I used your thread as part of an inspiration piece in order to help me get better. This part of this particular thread shows eventually what I did with my trees.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7962.50

The edit Ai did was especially useful. I don't know about the images not showing up, maybe majhost is down for a bit. However, your trunk texture could be worked on a little bit. I don't know if you intend to continue that twisted trunk look all the way up the tree, but maybe you should. It'd look much better with that.

@Verbit: I don't think those "floating grass platforms" would work actually. In every older pixel game that I've looked at that had tree sections in them, they just used branches with a few leaves on them for platforms. Nice crit though.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:56:33 am
I think you're looking at them too much as abstractions in space and shading them by learned manner and not observation.  consider that in reality, most light on matte surfaces is not observed by direct reflection (where planes oriented towards the sun are bright, those away dark, and any curves a smooth direct transition between these), but rather shows the light that falls across the surface first.  Think of the moon - it's not a gradient.  There is a broad lighted area, a broad dark area, and then a transitional space which varies in size (due to irregular surfaces, dirtiness, reflected light).
Point taken. I've collected a few reference material on flickr, as well. I hope they'll help coming with something better. I have googled for the "magical bean" of "Zelda : Minish Cap", as well, but i couldn't find it, unfortunately.

Seems that you need more than 1 sprite for those floating bushes. They get rather repetitive.
#true. That will be a real challenge for me to repeat this performance, but you're not taught unless you're challenged, ain't you ?

I used your thread as part of an inspiration piece in order to help me get better. This part of this particular thread shows eventually what I did with my trees.
* PypeBros feels honoured.

your trunk texture could be worked on a little bit. I don't know if you intend to continue that twisted trunk look all the way up the tree, but maybe you should. It'd look much better with that.
Somehow it's not tiling the way i'd like it to. I need to ensure i can easier spot those texture inconsistences when editing a level.
As for the twisting, my real-world observations here shown that trees are usually less and less showing the twisting as you move up (the "pipes" they're made of more and more merge so that twisting can no longer be noticed), while scarves due to broken branches and cracks in the "skin" of the tree became the things you notice the most.

PS: I haven't translated what I identified from my latest pixel art reference materials into my own "little woods", but I finally "de-draft" it for the reference. Most the comments i made about it isn't translated in english (yet), though.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:47 pm
Vierbit, make a platformer so I can play the shit out of it. Please. That looks amazing!

Pypebros, I would add another interior dirt tile, one that tiles with itself and the existing one. The variation could help break up the repetition in large areas. Also, I would make the background dirt (in places you can move) a bit darker to help differentiate it from the other dirt.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 12:12:17 am
Oh, good to see this still going.

I think you're treating your trees too much like tiles and not enough like trees. You have no depth to the tree, it's just a kind of patchwork of light and shadow that communicate nothing of a total form of the tree.

You need clear areas where the shadow is, and the highlight. I know it will take more tiles, but I think it's very possible. Use aerial perspective to help imply the depth of the tree as well, show sections of the leaves that are further back from the viewer.

As for the vines, if you want to do something like in your sketch, you'll need more vines! Either that or think of an interesting way to split them. But your vines are so thick that I think it would end up looking a little strange.

Also played a little with the background rocks, just showing some ideas, really.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:13:48 am by EyeCraft »