AuthorTopic: [C+C]Into the Dungeon++: Orcs and Skeletons [FINISHED-with attack animations!]  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
So here they are.

Final version:

Well, all of them have attack animations now. It's been a lot of work!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:34:25 am by Psiweapon »

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
Bumping for new version :3

At first I was meh but now I really like these little guys.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.
Maybe it already works well when animated, but I'd usually recommend a "finishing attack" frame that differs from the plain idle frame. Here you have "attack charging" pause frame (where the monster do not hurt), and the actual "attack hit" frame where the hitbox will be active. Because of the "motion blur" you've put there, it cannot last for more than 1/30s (at 60Hz, i'd keep it for 1 or 2 retraces, at most) to keep it "flashy". But then, the player needs to be convinced that he got a fair hit, which you do by another non-hurting pause frame -- a visual feedback, in some sense.

(stafos boss in castle 5 of Zelda: Link's awakening shows that well).

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
Thanks a lot for the animation tips, because I know almost nothing about animation, but I can't apply them =/

I didn't decide on making two frame animations, that came from the dev, and game movement is grid-based (and turn based for that matter). The game is a roguelike so that it is actually *animated at all* is quite out-of-genre.

I haven't seen these sprites in-game yet, but I've seen the hero sprite, which shares the same spritesheet layout, and looks believable.