AuthorTopic: The Retro RPG Challenge 1  (Read 197613 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: The Retro RPG Challenge 1

Reply #90 on: September 01, 2005, 01:49:05 am
Whoof...

Been looking at it too long now, and I need to get back to work. :P I'll do number two tomorrow or sometime soon. I'm pretty happy with the textures, not so sure about the color choices for the actual walls and floor. 20 colors total including duplicates in the three tile palettes and two sprite palettes. 16 unique colors. Never counted the tiles. Crits welcome!

Sawtooth: Very impressive! I love the grass and dirt. The little rocks on the wall of the cave aren't so good though, I think they look a little gridded, maybe if you made the outlines a bit less distinct and some of the higher rocks bigger it'd help. I like the monster and his texture too.

Schu: Looks good, I like the general desgin but something's nagging me about it that I can't quite put my finger on... Something about the sides. Sorry I can't help much.

Pju x2: Good so far, the edge of the trail does pretty well to not look gridded. The whole thing could use some highlight colors though, maybe try to emulate Sawtooth's dirt shading a little. The thin grass tile with the few dark pixels doesn't look too much like grass, it might be better to just use a flat green with patches-of-grass tiles.

Pep: Ditto to Ptoing's comments. The two red characters in the bottom could probably also use a bit more contrast. Haha! I just noticed that dark ninja hiding behind the wall, great stuff!  ;D

I would crit more but I gotta go. Great work all!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #91 on: September 01, 2005, 02:33:18 am
Another great entry! Excellent! I'm not a big fan of the dirth on the floor.. maybe something a bit more ordered? But otherwise great. Nice to have you around again Pawige. Please restore your awesomely animated avatar for posterity's sake!

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #92 on: September 01, 2005, 02:49:25 am
Heres a screenie to inspire you guys, got this off gamespy for the new dynasty warrior game, supposedly it's for gameboy advance, but look at those grasstiles!

- Dog
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #93 on: September 01, 2005, 03:49:58 am
Some more screenshots for reference :)

Legend of the River King 2 - A Fishing RPG :P

Harvest Moon GBC 3 - Not too spectacular as far as graphics...

Dragon Warrior I & II GBC - DW1 shots:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone - Do not do art ike this! You can do better!

Offline PixelPusher

• View Profile

Reply #94 on: September 01, 2005, 07:10:34 am
Sweeeet. This challenge is so sexy. Even if it's over, I want to get some tiles done.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #95 on: September 01, 2005, 12:56:40 pm

Right now I'm working on a small character to fight this mofo.

:o

It's so good you've uninspired me...

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #96 on: September 01, 2005, 06:43:44 pm
Pawige, yours has so much contrast between the background and its characters, i love everything about it, man. I'm really glad to see you and that avatar back. Make more sprites!
@darionmccoy

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #97 on: September 02, 2005, 10:24:49 am
Heres some colours that will make your retinas bleed:

16 colour
Got pretty lazy in the end. Tiling isn't my favourite.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline ShadowGuy

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: September 02, 2005, 03:02:16 pm
my first post here on pixelopolis:
Its not very spectacular, but I quite like it anyway.
The game is about a renegade necromancer who is trying to ressurect the 4 first evils, and defeat any competition/oppostion. In this screen, you can see one of the other necromancers performing some sort of ritual to ressurect a fire demon...which you will stop.

I am not 100% sure I got everything right...well, its not that big of a deal anyway...

mysticaurora

Reply #99 on: September 05, 2005, 11:27:04 am

There's my first mockup. It uses 17 colors excluding black and white. 16 is possible with optimization. I'm not too pleased with the cabin, but I couldn't come up with any other ideas. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the other mockup.