AuthorTopic: HEXQUISITE CORPSE COLLAB II - DONE!  (Read 214256 times)

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Re: HEXQUISITE CORPSE COLLAB II - DONE!

Reply #300 on: November 09, 2009, 12:29:13 am
Wow this is awesome! just pure awesomeness! And do I see a tiny hexquisite collab  near the middle?

Offline pgil

• View Profile

Reply #301 on: November 09, 2009, 02:30:06 am
it's beautiful  :'(

A side note, where did the palette come from? Something ptoing made up? It was challenging to work with, but fun. Looks like it was used to its full advantage  ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:41:27 am by pgil »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #302 on: November 09, 2009, 05:17:32 am
Shocking - the improvement in overall quality compared to the first one.

The conceptual and technical effort put forth is insane. No one artist could ever complete something so random, yet so cohesive and flowing and diverse. The word gestalt certainly jumps to mind. What fun to inspect!

It's always educational to look at work that is superior to yours (a painfully common phenomenon for me), but especially so when you're now 'rubbing shoulders' with the authors of such work while using the same contraints; palette - how they make choices, how they use the palette is very revealing and a poignant lesson if you pay attention.

@Carnivac: Setz's 41's upper left region reminded me of Samurai Jack, hence the Aku - glad you like it! Hopefully most recognize him, it's one of the best cartoon series out there, IMO.
Setz, you really switched it up for this collab, I was agonizing over how to unite things until the Aku idea occurred to me. Your 41: At first I wanted to dock some points for going the abstract swirl route . . . but, it looks pretty cool actually.

Veirbit, your method of wielding the pixel consistently amazes, love the unsuspectedly mundane and dissonant yet awesome Swiss building with sidewalk . ilkke, that skull takes the cake. Big Bro, t he hand is very appropriately surreal, great choice. Conceit, your style is interestingly chaotic. For some reason Helm, I really appreciate your mini wheelbarrow, yus I do, all the details are pleasant, glad you made time for a tile. Lackey, what are you summoning?  Jad, the upsidedown world is great. pgil, #43 - a reference to the first collab's bottom-most tile? The comments go on and on . .

-There are a few neglectful uses of space and a few tile transition "mistakes", but nothing major really.

-Love the way the hex grid obfuscates and denies that this was ever set up on any sort of grid at all. The seams must be undetectable to uninvolved viewers.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:56:05 am by Mathias »

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #303 on: November 09, 2009, 08:50:34 am
 :y:

This is incredible in so many ways... perfect example of how the result is greater than the sum of it's parts. Huge compliment to everybody which was brave enough and took his time to contribute to this unique experience.
There are so many different approaches and styles - the restricted palette really is capable of making it look coherent. It's very interesting to see how small regions tells their own stories.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #304 on: November 09, 2009, 08:52:21 am
Congrats to everyone for pulling this off. We rule! Especially mr.Ptoing.
A couple of people have really surprised me with the quality of their tiles. I'll have to add them to my little book of big names :)
i

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #305 on: November 09, 2009, 11:13:00 am
Conceit, your style is interestingly chaotic.

-There are a few neglectful uses of space and a few tile transition "mistakes", but nothing major really.

haha, dankeshen Mr.Math! indeed it is quite chaoitic, as is my process for making things.....I never know what form to give the wild ideas cursing trough my head, or just how much of it to try and harness in the picture, it seems the pixels are never enough :ouch:...ask Ptoing! XD

I was amazed at how off-place #33, my second tile  seems when compared to the surrounding ones, I was trying to do a black hole effect like what Setz pulls off at 41, except I wanted an evil edifice like that of  Goodbye Blue Sky ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0v07InoFiU ) to be the one sucking everything in...it failed spectacularly O_O (how didnt I pick up that I was cutting off Ptoing's tentacle from #1??? )

The other tile, #21 since it isnt surrounded by as many things...I felt was rendered less beautifully but actually comes out far far more acceptably, it links everywhere exactly the way I would want it to! I love how Pgil linked to it, we made two little magnificent dust brothers erupt out of the earth  :D besides the way my guy's spit becomes the sky couldnt have come off any better!, also #18 is a tile I gave up and it comes amazingly close to what I would have done, except it meshes with the Zog's style there far far more than anything I could've done =D kudos!.

I am loving how Vierbit used the browns! you just continue to stand out in any Collab you get into  :crazy: you magnificent basterd! Ptoing's #1 tile reveal had me LMAO WTF and BBQ all at once  :P as did  Dex's little mud monsters at #8 AND Lackey's awesome little homage to the Zogs at #74

Another one that takes the cake is Big Brother and Lackey's #55,#54 HandDragon, Morgy's dragon at #31. Opacus'es crazy little skull...it looks like something I would've liked to do, painterly as St0ven would've put it ::)

I bet I'll found many other little things to pick apart and be amazed at the more I look at it  :o does anybody feel like this second one came out a little bit more self conscious? I feel like the first one is more relaxed and has more empty spaces, while in this one everyone is trying to fit as many stuff in as possible  ???

Offline pmprog

• View Profile

Reply #306 on: November 09, 2009, 12:59:34 pm
Congrats to everyone for pulling this off. We rule! Especially mr.Ptoing.
I second that.

Looking at my tile now, I'm thinking I could have done some things a little bit different (and a lot better)... I look forward to the next one

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #307 on: November 09, 2009, 03:53:35 pm
. . . does anybody feel like this second one came out a little bit more self conscious? I feel like the first one is more relaxed and has more empty spaces, while in this one everyone is trying to fit as many stuff in as possible  ???

Yes. I assume the participants all saw the last one, and noted the things they felt could improve, namely density of detail. Hence the hex2 collab has more crammed into it. It's true that an established fact per design principles is that some "white space", or any area more sparse than surrounding areas, creates a resting place for the eye and is pleasant because of that  -BUT-  it's also true that there are no design rule constants, meaning that no one rule always applies.

In my opionion, this is an example of an exception to the white space "rule". Do you not find yourself wishing there was something more to see in such tiles as: 35, 53 and 59? (zero offense to the authors; just a subjective observation)

As I start to feel that I've taken in all the details, I do find myself wishing there was more to find in the stingier tiles. Compact detail is what makes this collab concept strong. I'm just a detail oriented person I guess.

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #308 on: November 09, 2009, 04:12:54 pm
I thought I'd upload these images which show all the individual tiles and the borders they had to work with to make the tile.
(Green indicates an empty tile at that time. The absence of a border on any edge is because it is at the edge of the board)

Hopefully I got the actual creation order correct enough that the given borders are as they were - sorry if there are any errors in that.

I love the fact that the whole things appears to emminate from the brain in the center as a weird and wacky collection of its bizarre imagination. Also (nice one Lackey) anything with a little iso-wizard doing his magic somewhere in it gets a big thumbs up from me ;)

-Z-
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:17:13 pm by Zoggles »

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #309 on: November 09, 2009, 04:38:02 pm
Well, ain't that nice and useful :D
i