AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)  (Read 111356 times)

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Re: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)

Reply #70 on: March 12, 2006, 05:44:47 pm
A update

-fixed the the street tiles
-added some details
-change colors
-here and there some minor changes
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:58:33 pm by vierbit »

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #71 on: March 12, 2006, 06:13:48 pm
@Helm: Pimpin' colors. All hail the Yus bird! *worships*

@Vedsten: I swear your entry looks like a cleaner version of terranigma's world... Awesome work!

@Vierbit: I really love your entry. Great details, great color, excellent composition. You're making me jealous *pouts*.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: March 12, 2006, 11:54:15 pm
I almost didn't enter 'cause of all the sexy, but I decided this afternoon to give it a go after all:

40 tiles, 22 colours, if I'm not mistaken. Kinda bland results, but fun to pixel all the same :D Oh well, guess I have a week to play with it before the deadline...
everyone else's are looking great!

EDIT:
Here's a mockup:

I thought about making my background more cluttered, like the ref pic, but then I decided I liked it simple ;D

EDIT(again):
Changed the tiles (and mockup) slightly. Now people over 3 feet tall can use the doors!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:01:45 am by Tremulant »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #73 on: March 13, 2006, 12:03:51 am
Hey, thanks, Crazy Asian Gamer! I'll look into that, guess i didn't look hard enough the first time. Good luck with you entry!

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: March 13, 2006, 06:04:24 am
Vedsten: I just have to say I love the clever use of sky tiles in the shop windows.

Tremulant: You should probably mix up your palette more. It feels very bland as is.

Jalonso: You have a lot of room to add colors, I would suggest adding some to bring more life to the street and buildings. The signs don't do it enough. The scale of the image is also very small.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #75 on: March 13, 2006, 09:42:40 pm
bleh..

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #76 on: March 13, 2006, 09:52:28 pm
Alex, that's amazing! Love it!! Really do!! You might want to tone down the road-colors though.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #77 on: March 14, 2006, 01:08:06 am
wasn't too happy about anything but the tiling in my last entry, so thought i'd give a new one a quick go:

(the colorramps are made afterwords, so they're pretty fucked up, 27 clrs overall)

the tiling in the first one was way better, and im not too happy with it overall, so i hope i'll have the time to redo the coloring my first entry
~thx for all the comments
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 01:14:56 am by vedsten »

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #78 on: March 14, 2006, 02:46:17 am
Wow, we've got some great ones coming through here. 

@vedsten: I'd say your first submission is the most aesthetically pleasing for me; It works very well as a background.  The colors preserve the detail while keeping it second in importance to the sprites that will go in there.  Not too much detail, just right.  The second one doesn't work as well for me; The outlines and dark, bold colors pop it out a bit too much.  It still shows some amazing technical detail, though.  Great entries.  I love your style.

@Alex Hanson-White: The composition of the street is very, very well done.  You keep great visual interest with your tiles, I just love the changes in elevation and the street twisting away into the background.  I like the colors, they give off a classic "summer street brawl" feeling.  Really no crits here.

@Tremulant: The bland colors and lack of stimulating details bring down the excitement of the piece.  Definitely breathe some life into the colors and use the tiles for all they're worth.  In the mockup, there's a little too much space above the fighters' heads.  Keep going, man.

@vierbit: Gosh, your details are so cool.  Beautiful colors, except maybe those window teals...they aren't too appealing.  Quite the solid entry; The details are amazing.

@jalonso: The world you've created with your tiles is very hard to grasp.  The same colors are used pretty much everywhere, and the textures make it hard to distinguish brick from door from window from road from sky.  The signs, though creatively made, only add to the confusion.  Also, the world is a bit too small to support fighter sprites with fully articulated moves.

@neverest: It's very technically well done.  However, the colors/style aren't quite enough to distinguish it from the other entries.  But the basic details are all there, and it's got a solid area to work from.

For all of you guys, I'd love to see more of what jalonso did: taking the tiles and making different rearrangements.  Though I don't really have any importance in this contest, It'd be great for me and WayForward to see what can be done with the tilesets--I'd love to see some other realizations.  Well done everyone.

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #79 on: March 14, 2006, 03:40:46 am
After deleting 5 times I've decided on this and I'm finally pleased, albeit a little sparse...

(40 tiles, 32 colours)

...but after a snickers bar, some ice cider and a lot of Jrock on my winamp:

It seems functional at least.

Vedsten - Your first one was so nice, it was truly my favourite. There was just some weird thing going on with the brick of that back building though, I couldn't tell if it was a slanty, attached piece or if it was going behind the front building. But I have to say, I liked that one so much more than your new one (Though also cool, but too dark for my personal taste...it doesn't seem finished so I'm reserved in commenting more on it).

Alex Hanson-White - I like yours as well :) I kind of imagine little dudes skateboarding down around on it.
------
Schu