AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)  (Read 102713 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)

Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 10:24:21 am
ok, I still have the seperated version, I thought it might be a little easier if i pointed out which tiles were flipped horizontally, just incase your program doesnt pick it up automatically
[edit]see third page[/edit](excluding the arrow sign above the doorway)
also, speaking of this program, would you mind giving me a link to download it? all Ive ever had is a homemade detiler, its a bit clunky but gets the job.. unfortunately a .dll has gone missing and it wont run anymore.. so yeah, it would help me a lot.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:30:10 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 11:01:58 am
"also, speaking of this program, would you mind giving me a link to download it?"

Sorry, it's one of WayForward's proprietary programs. ;)

- Adam

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 11:12:23 am
i was hoping that wouldnt be the case lol.. oh well thanks anywasy :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 06:32:50 pm
TakaM, good job, I'd suggest you lose the broken perspective after all, though. This has a huge De chirco thing going, paranoiac perspective, the stuff of nightmares. Whereas a very fitting effect in some cases, I think this would make me cry in a fighting game. Psychological violence.

The thing is, double dragon gets away with it because the screendumps Adam posted are from a lot of screens connected. You never get both perspectives in the same view in the game because it runs at 320x240 or something, whereas the screendump is 3 screens x 6 screens or something (eyeballing). It's unfair to have to do the double perspective in the tiny GBA resolution.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 06:34:58 pm by Helm »

Captain Blood

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 07:07:13 pm
The thing is, double dragon gets away with it because the screendumps Adam posted are from a lot of screens connected. You never get both perspectives in the same view in the game because it runs at 320x240 or something, whereas the screendump is 3 screens x 6 screens or something (eyeballing). It's unfair to have to do the double perspective in the tiny GBA resolution.

That's pretty much whats been preventing me from making a start.  It's clear on the Double Dragon shot that theres a big screen sized gap between the severe angle change.

I can't quite figure how to begin on this.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 07:21:50 pm
Go with one perspective, as a sane man would.

Adam, do we have priority tiles and tile offsetting? Can I move a tile from it's 'tiled' position to somewhere else theoretically via very easy GBA hacks, and if I can, shouldn't there be some rules for what takes priority (what is drawn over what) over what tile? This partains to issues with trasparency too, which I think the art should have.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 07:35:32 pm
Sounds interesting, but i prolly wont have time to enter.

What's with the 16x16 tiles? GBA has 8x8 tiles natively and i am pretty sure you can flip horizontally and vertically and it's still the same tile, no matter how you flip it (noflip / x / y / x,y = same tile). You can not rotate tho. and why only 10 palettes and not the full 16? I guess reserve for hud or something?

Could you clarify?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 08:05:04 pm
Hey guys, I'm working on a C++ tool called 'mockup2tile'. I hope I'll be able to finish it on time. Could be useful to some of you competing.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 08:45:50 pm
I notice in the photo that there is a yellow line along the right curb. Was this street cut in half at some point or something.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 09:01:21 pm
"What's with the 16x16 tiles? GBA has 8x8 tiles natively and i am pretty sure you can flip horizontally and vertically and it's still the same tile, no matter how you flip it (noflip / x / y / x,y = same tile). You can not rotate tho. and why only 10 palettes and not the full 16? I guess reserve for hud or something? Could you clarify?"

When we build levels, we do so with 8x8 tiles but 16x16 matrixes. Level building is done in 16x16's not 8x8s. Horizontal flips do not eat up additional tiles, but vertical do - that's GBA. As for the 10 pallette rows, that's just the number I decided on.

"It's unfair to have to do the double perspective in the tiny GBA resolution."

I'd certainly recommend choosing one. But that's entirely up to each artist.

"Adam, do we have priority tiles and tile offsetting? Can I move a tile from it's 'tiled' position to somewhere else theoretically via very easy GBA hacks, and if I can, shouldn't there be some rules for what takes priority (what is drawn over what) over what tile? This partains to issues with trasparency too, which I think the art should have."

1 layer, no transparency. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by offsetting. If you mean shifting the tiles 8 pixels over in a direction, no, that will create new tiles. Think onyl in 16x16s on this one. We're keeping this simple. On GBA you can have multiple layers and up to 2048 tiles across 3 layers. But the more restrictions we place here, the less time it takes each entrant and the more conservative and creative everyone's forced to be. This contest isn't meant to properly emulate the GBA process.

- Adam