AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)  (Read 102608 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)

on: March 01, 2006, 08:50:22 am
Hey guys,

The developer I work for (WayForward Technologies, creators of Shantae & Sigma Star Saga) is always on the lookout for new talent. Our last two contests (animation and pixelling) went over incredibly well. So we're going to do at least one more contest if the mods here don't mind. If everything looks fine, maybe one of the mods can move this topic to the challenges section. Our last contest carried a $250 prize. But I always feel guilty completely dissing whoever's in second place. So this time we're going to award first place $150, second place $100 and third place $50. Sound good? This contest focuses on that other side of game pixelling  - background tiling.

Below is a map from Double Dragon II on NES.

And here is a random photo of a city street.

To enter this contest, the artist has to complete only one task:

Create a background in the same perspective as the Double Dragon map above, adapting elements, color themes and details from the above photo (basically, making a game background of the scene in that photo). Your final image must be 240 pixels wide by 160 pixels tall (GBA res). You will be tiling in 16x16 squares (so 10 tiles tall by 15 tiles wide). Each tile can have a maximum of 15 colors in it (this is one 'pallette row'). The scene can have a maximum of 10 different pallette rows across all tiles. A GBA screen has 150 tiles in it (10x15). Your scene can use a MAXIMUM of 40 unique tiles. You can flip any of these tiles horizontally and it won't count as an extra tile (although a vertical flip will). If any of this is violated, you cannot place in the contest. If I notice any errors, I'll try to point them out so you have time to fix them. (This is all pretty complicated, so please post questions below, although we're not going to explain the basics of what tiling is here. This contest is for the familiar).

The winning entry will be the background that looks impressive visually, showcases strong pixelling ability, pulls essential detail from the photo and creates the most fully-realized game world.

Additional rules:

1) No animation whatsoever is allowed (single-frame only).

2) All pieces of art must be posted in this thread and be accessible (no dead links) for consideration. You can post the file in any web-displayable image (gif preferred). If it doesn't show up for the judges, the art won't be considered.
3) No previously-created art may be used in this contest.
4) Multiple entries are allowed. If you end up pixelling multiple backgrounds, we'll consider all of them.

So that's it in a nutshell. Create a background, post it below, best three entries with regard to the rules above and according to WF's directors win the cash. Post below and feel free to comment on everyone else's posts.

Deadline:

The deadline will be in a little over 2 weeks (March 17th). No extensions on this one (I feel like when we do that, we're punishing those who rushed to get their entry in on time).

Prize:

The winner will receive $150. Second place will receive $100 and third place will receive $50.

FAQ:
(I'll add to this as people post below)

1) Can we enter if we're under age? Of course. Again, just a contest. Unless you know of a specific reason why you might not be allowed to enter, the contest is open to everyone.
2) Can I post my sprite entries on my website? Of course. Post away.
3) Can mods submit? Of course. The contest is open to everyone except WayForward employees.
4) Can we submit collabs? Nope, sorry. One artist per entry.
5) Can I put sprites and HUD over my background to show how it would work? Yes, however you must have a 'naked' image too, with just the background by itself. Failure to supply this will result in non-consideration.
6) Can we flip tiles? Yup, as newly stated above, you can horitonally flip tiles without adding to your tile count. A vertical flip will add a new tile to the total, though.
7) So we're keeping the same details and perspective as the photo? No no no. I mean, you can, but you're meant to be looking at the photo mainly for some key details (not everything) and colors. I'd reccommend making the perspective the same as the Double Dragon maps. Anything else and you're gonna run out of tiles fast.

- Adam
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 05:56:29 am by AdamTierney »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:36:16 am
Are we allowed to use only one projection angle, or must we provide a mockup with both angles?

|   ||   ||   |     |   ||   ||   |
 \   |\   |\   | or  |   /|   /|   /

Vs.

|   ||   ||   |
|   /|   |\   |

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:53:33 am
You're talking about the fake perspective, right? Yeah, that would serve to be cleaned up because the double dragon example is akward. all-left or all-right would be better, I think. However, emulating the broken style of Double Dragon would be a neat challenge.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:36:24 am
Yes

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 06:36:05 pm
I've got a question,
Is there tile flipping(ie: can you flip a tile vertically or horizontally and not have it count as a unique tile?).

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 09:33:24 pm
My finished entry:

(40 tiles, 14 colours overall)
and the proccess animation:

:)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:33:09 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 10:53:07 pm
"Are we allowed to use only one projection angle, or must we provide a mockup with both angles?"

Entirely up to you. You're only limited by what I said in the rules. Although I think the obvious method would be to pick one perspective.

"You're talking about the fake perspective, right? Yeah, that would serve to be cleaned up because the double dragon example is akward. all-left or all-right would be better, I think. However, emulating the broken style of Double Dragon would be a neat challenge."

All left, all right or a combination of both would be fine.

"Is there tile flipping(ie: can you flip a tile vertically or horizontally and not have it count as a unique tile?)."

Excellent question! I'll clarify this in the rules. A horizontally-flipped tile does not count as a new tile. However, a vertically flipped one does. So horizontally flip all you want.

- Adam
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 10:57:36 pm by AdamTierney »

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 11:05:28 pm
Each tile can have a maximum of 15 colors in it (this is one 'pallette row'). The scene can have a maximum of 10 different pallette rows across all tiles.

mmmk. so just a small question. sorry if its obviouse.
so, every tile can have15colours, but you can have 10 different sets of 15??
Would that mean you are allowed 150 colours overall for the whole image?
not exactly sure on what a pallete row is.

oh. and what about layers. havent thought about design yet.. but incase I do.
are we allowed to overlap tiles?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:15:53 pm by flaber »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 12:38:55 am
this is totally awesome. I usually blow at tiling but I'm insane so I'm gonna give this a try too
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:41:54 am by Camus »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 03:37:07 am
[edit]see my first post[/edit]
what Ive made so far.. I havent made anything in such a warped style before.. so my approach is to get it done in a simple way first, and then i'll cean it up a hell of a lot..

Ive also moved a few things around as its quite hard to convert this street to 40 tiles and the perspective
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:34:07 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise