AuthorTopic: Old and new---  (Read 5325 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Old and new---

on: August 11, 2005, 04:29:40 am
I remade an old avatar of mine;

(New:: ::Old)

Of course, I think it's an obvious improvement from the low-contrast, over-dithered, ball-headed Terror Raven*(No offense to ditherers or their art.), but it looks more zombieish than scarecrowish to me. Honestly, I don't really care, and I don't think I'm going to change it, but... Well there are no buts. I'm fairly happy with it.

C&C, please.

*Terror Raven- that's his name, if you didn't know.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Re: Old and new---

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 04:49:37 am
I definitely like the new as compared to the old.

As far as some Crits:

I think overall, it's kind of flat, you have some shading on the piece, but it isn't consistent. I think you need a more defined light source on the head and arm that's on the left side of the piece. I'm guessing your lightsource is coming from the top right, so the left side of the head and arm need to be shaded accordingly. As far as the anatomy, the only thing that really sticks out to me is the arm, where it comes in to the torso near the pectoral and the elbow. It just looks odd to me how the arm curves in up towards the neck, and theres no clearly defined bicep, to worsen this the arm almost looks like you're looking at it straight on, yet the elbow almost comes in to the opposite side of the arm, almost like he has his elbow on the opposite side of his arm. I think if you push the elbow back, add some shading to the left side of the arm, that help make the elbow have some depth, and manipulate where the arm comes in to the torso at the pectoral it will give it a more "fit" look. That's all for now, give you some stuff to think about, I definitely would like to see any revisions :D

- Dog
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 04:54:36 am
I really like this.  It's such an improvement over the old one.  It's always interesting to see how an artist revamps their old work.  I think the greatest improvement in this is the colors... that and the detail.  It looks very nice and creepy.  As dogmeat said, the shading could use work.  The head looks flat compared to the torso.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 01:42:06 pm
Hey, dang. Looks good. Nice to see you again, Xion.

Heh, who really cares that much about anatomy on a scarecrow? All I know is that he looks good. And that I prefer him without a "mouth" of any type. Actually don't mind the perfectly circular head either, but... new one looks great, still. Well done.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 04:13:54 pm
Thanks everyone!

Yes, now I see it...I will most definately work on the shading and see if I can find some good arm references.

Nice to see you too, Rox. I agree that a scarecrow really doesn't need anatomy, but I should learn anyway, eh?

Thanks again, people.  :)

[edit]

I dunno If I fixed anything, especially with the arm-natomy, but I tried.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 06:58:11 pm by Xion Night »