AuthorTopic: Updated my tutorial.  (Read 17789 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Updated my tutorial.

Reply #20 on: August 11, 2005, 04:38:40 am
*bows to Tsugumo*

Thank you so much for thinking of Pixelation. My life would not be the same without you.

Also, btw, why did you stop being head honcho anyways?
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 12:06:00 pm
Again, I'm not saying selout is the way to do everything, but I'd say it can solve a good 90% of situations where the other 10% can be solved by big artistic design decisions, so I consider it an extremely useful tool to have in a person's arsenal (even if you just use it as a base for another technique (going lighter with the selout instead of darker), understanding the concept can help you choose that...like studying realistic anatomy before you draw Marvel characters).  It's sort of like duct tape, heh...might not be pretty, but often, it gets the job done.

To this I agree completely. The zen way, heh, learn selout before you forget selout (and if something can't be worked in another way, conviniently remember selout).

Shame about you not sticking around, but I understand the reasons completely. Good luck in the industry. 

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 01:38:22 pm
Dang! A Tsugumo.

... Hey. Nice to see you still alive.

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 12, 2005, 12:40:24 pm
that was the tutorials that got me pixelin
great work Tsugumo hope to see you doing one containing coloring

helm . that mock is very nice and the ninja too  :P

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 07:43:22 pm
With the updating of the tutorial, can we expect an active neh too?

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 05:48:47 pm
 Awesome! There's a new chapter and it totally PWNs. Now I know what kind of outline Capcom and other pro game companies used. In the past, I thought it was anti-aliasing lol.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 07:17:08 pm
That tutorial was the one that i first found and got me into pixel art in the first place.  Creepy...
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 08:06:12 pm
Whoa, Tsugumo lives!!! Good to see you around man even if its just on a part-time basis... :)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 09:51:31 pm
so... I hope im not to late, but I wanted to get in on this too.
So from what I was reading and what I grasped was that Tsugumo has his selout with using darker shades than those in the sprite. Helm was saying to use lighter shades.

So that got me to thinking. Why not combine both?
Heres a small example I through together in 5mins just for explanation purposes.

The first image shows the sphere. I have 3 colours used in it, and then one darker and one lighter for the outline. I figured that why not colour the lines like they were the sprite themself. Use the darkest shade where the shadows would be on the sprite, and the highlight colour thats closest to the lightsource. Then select one of the colours you used in the sprite itself as a transition colour. For me I used the darkest colour. BUT, the colour you used for the transition colour, CANNOT touch itself within the image. You used it as an outline therefore if it touches itself it looses some of that outline crisp, like the second image.

Now the second image, I just edited my display pic just because its the closest thing i have to a sprite that could be used in a game. Here I have only one new colour. Thats the darkest shade. I used it the same was as I did in the first. I put it in the darkest places. Next I used the colours within  and extended them to the lines. I find it doesnt look as crisp, but it can still get the job done. Perhaps I even went too far and added a new darkshade for each set of colours. I could of very easily done this using one one new colour. But owell.

I just thought Id show my thought on the subject. Perhaps a solution or another viewpoint to this that helm and tsu have created. Hope it fits.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 10:35:15 pm
Well, that IS what helm said. Don't just make all the selout dark, but according to the lightsource. Just look at his lil ninja edit :0
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.