AuthorTopic: Any one know the specs for psx/ps1 games?  (Read 24281 times)

Offline PAT BUTCHER

• View Profile

Re: Any one know the specs for psx/ps1 games?

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 09:24:19 pm
Well well! thanx dudes, i'm pretty blown away by the depth of the replies but i guess i shoulda expected that from the the topic. I'll be honest and say that perhaps things are a little bit too technical but i now know exactly what i can do now. sounds like making a character or object within specs can be pretty easily put into perspective but as soon as we get a scene the only way to really know is by chucking that fucker through a real psx.

side note:

recently read a ghostbusters review and it refers to the fact that the ps3 version has lower res textures, this is attributed to lower texture memory which as said above on previous systems can be gotten around. Seems like sony does this on every console and people are still bithing about it, but considering mgs and shadows of collosus, i think the extra dev time might be worth it  :crazy:

ps. please check my final viper post

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 11:29:19 pm
Shadow of the Collossus still uses tricks to get around the low texture memory. As far as I know, no game has truely used the PS2 as it was designed, meaning high bandwidth streaming textures all the way.

Prove me wrong please, I'm looking for an article on a game that didn't try to circumvent the low RAM, but worked with decent streaming.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 02:12:29 am
I am pretty sure that god of war uses streaming a lot, because there are perhaps 2 places in the whole game where the action has to be interrupted due to player noticable loading (other than cutscenes and such).
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 01:52:40 am
Prove me wrong please, I'm looking for an article on a game that didn't try to circumvent the low RAM, but worked with decent streaming.

I don't have any articles, but off the top of my head, I know Metal Gear Solid, Soul Reaver, and Jak & Daxter all use streaming. Grand Theft Auto 3 and it's progeny also use a lot of streaming, though there are a few cases in the earlier games where you have to load between islands.

I'm sure there are plenty more games that use streaming, you just can't notice it most of the time. Ideally, you'd have all your games using a seamless world system like SotC, but even if most games do load between levels, a lot of them probably do some form of streaming, considering how freaking stingy Sony is with their dedicated RAM.