AuthorTopic: Robot wip  (Read 17467 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Robot wip

on: June 14, 2009, 09:37:34 pm
Getting into 3D again. Render setup at bottom by fra.

So far only head and torso.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline astrofra

• View Profile

Re: Robot wip

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 03:56:08 pm
I love how it looks like a cyclops !
The huge antenae on top of its head has something of a mis-conception, which makes it even more interesting, like a flawed design !

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:57:59 pm
This is looking pretty slick so far!

At first glace I had a bit of trouble deciphering the head but I think once its coloured there will be no problem at all.

Are you trying to keep it under a certain amount of tris?

Can't wait to see this fleshed out a little more!

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:59:29 pm
Nah, not going for a specific poly count, atm he is around 1000something tris I think.
A bit more tweaking and then I will try to texture.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:51:26 pm
UV is pretty much done apart from bits which will be mirrored.

Started to texture. FUN! \o/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:47:32 am by ptoing »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:17:41 am
I think you should have all the UV-maps in the same scale so that there's no resolution differences in different parts of the robot.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:58:44 am
I could have done that, but I did not do it out of choice. If you have no other crits I am happy :P

Current state.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 06:20:11 pm
While edge highlighting is fine, it can also be interesting to sometimes tone it down or up, and not keep it equal everywhere. I think there's a danger in accentuating the edges too much. This isn't necessarily done with edge highlights alone, it can also be done by adding details which conform too much to the quad/poly. Some texture artists just add an embossed bevel inside every quad to make 'techy panel stuff'.

I think textures should make it seem like there's more geometry, or in some cases, by skipping an edge you can make things seem smoothly curved. Maybe the chest of this thing could benefit from that.

If you have the Q3A textures, it could be interesting to look at TankJr. It does do the inset quad aligned detail here and there though. Crash's helmet has some interesting shadow gradients going on rather than just edge highlights. My favorite texture is probably Major's. On her single player skin you can see the edge highlights for the worn metal, but on her team skins there's a nice smoothness going on.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:06:47 pm
I know totally what you mean, tho the problem here is that the model is too boxy. You can only make a cube look like a sphere so much.
On things like the sides of the legs and arms there need not be edgehighlights/wear, but then again on the sides it would look odd if there was not.

The Quake 3 models have MUCH flatter angles on most things, so making something look smooth is not that hard. Here it is pretty much impossible, because once you rotate to certain areas stuff looks broken as hell.

If you want I can give you the obj file once i am done, and you can have a shot at texturing it and try to hide the corners.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:47:36 pm
I'm rather lousy at texturing because it's too indirect and not wysiwyg.... although I guess texturing programs is a bit better nowardays.

The Q3A meshes are not all that I hear. I do know that they put a lot of polies around the... rounded areas of some models though.

There are other things you can do than making things seem round. You can add little gaps from armour plating which are placed on the edge or not. Like, on the shoulder front, there's a Gundam'ish beveled armour plate.

________
 /________\
|..o....o..|

So you can place a 'fake' subtractive (dark) edge with greebles where the ..o....o.. is, making it look like perhaps it's geometry. It also breaks up the solid block feel with mostly additive edges.

The chest plate could perhaps continue with a subtractive edge into the polygons, making it look like it's an armour plate which has been slapped on and there's some gaps in the model (again, to break solidity).