AuthorTopic: Hexquisite Corpse Collab - DONE!  (Read 193821 times)

LODYblokady

Re: Hexquisite Corpse Collab

Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 01:41:13 pm
I call #21 :D

DONE!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:02:34 pm by ptoing »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 03:46:53 pm
Ptoing, you come across Start A Story yet? This collab reminds me of it. Love the hex idea. I take it the name is based on this term. I didn't get it at first. At first I thought the collab had a holloween of horror theme, etc, but no. I take it there is no theme, this is totally open-ended.

So, this is designed so that only you get to see the picture as it's put together? The surprise will be massive once it's all done, can't wait! You've created a lot of anticipation - something the ISO collab lacked. It was almost dreary to watch that unfold because it starting taking so long and it got old, but this is idea addresses that well.

**. . . ok, I just now understood how you're handling letting artists know what the tiles adjacent to the one their working on look like - by masking the inside with a black hexagon. This will enable others to design tiles that seamlessly match the adjacent ones, but only technically, the content will be totally random. For instance, I'm almost posotive I know what your masked tile is, and so I may draw my adjacent tile, if I claimed it, to continue your drawing as best as possible, whereas someone else might interpret your masked tile, trying to deduce what's there by using the pixels visible, completely differently and therefore end up drawing something different and "wrong".
It's more work, but what if you sent artists that claimed a tile, only the completed adjacent tiles so they knew for a fact what was adjacent? I guess this would be a totally different approach. But I think I'd prefer it. If I was doing tiles.
Though, for people to not know what's really there will get some really crazy and random results, and I think that's probably what you're going for. Just throwing that out there.

I'm a little repelled by the C64 palette (I'm kinda of sick of it and wish to grow my pixel art skillz in other ways) but I still may try and get a few tiles. Thanks for taking the time to put this collab together.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 04:10:53 pm
Yes, the name is a play on the Exquisite Corpse game. Which had a high random result, hence the blackening out of the tiles. It is fully intended that the result will be totally random.

Also, I know, the C64 palette is getting old (pun not intended), and next time I will take the effort to make a custom palette.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 04:41:41 pm
Great collab, I guess I was a bit slow though =[ Could I preorder a tile? If so I'll take 31. NO

But I have to agree with Mathias about the c64 palette...I look forward to the next collab with a custom Ptoing palette.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:44:05 pm by ptoing »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 07:00:04 pm
Me gustaria 2 :D

Damn time zones..  I can't be the first to post.  Should be done soon.  Unless I should wait until number one is posted?  ???

Read the rules again, THANKS!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:28:24 pm by Shrike »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 08:22:03 pm
I hope you guys choose side-panels after this is done so more tiles will be claimable. (Common, show a little love.) If you choose the ones in the middle, the other 2 next to it won't be claimable until they're done. Just saying.

On another note, this seems like it's going to turn out awesome.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 09:15:19 pm
I'm not seeign a theme or anything like that, so I guess this is completely open and upto the first tiles to set a mood and perspective. Interesting. Where does the corpse in the collab title play into this?

Probably a good idea to start off with a preset palette this time. I bet we'll still have a problem with people muckign it up though, hahah.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:30:34 pm
Don't know if you'll be able to determine a mood and perspective only by seeing a few pixels width 'border' of each tile. You won't be seeing much of any tile until the thing is fully complete.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 01:53:23 am
I think half of the point is there will be no theme, and that (hopefully) other peoples tiles will be misread, and lead to some kind of really mismatched piece. The most interesting thing could well be the way that all the tiles will lead into each other, regardless of what the edge was supposed to be. I guess I'm saying, maybe it would be better if you didn't try to integrate your tile into the opposing ones, but the opposing into yours, if that makes any sense :-\.

Offline Don risotto

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 02:30:12 am
calling #20. wouldn't mind seeing border of 21 but I guess it's not too important

Read the rules!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:35:41 am by ptoing »