AuthorTopic: I am looking for Joshua Astorian. (AKA Joshua Robinson)  (Read 62255 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: I am looking for Joshua Astorian.

Reply #70 on: November 02, 2015, 11:17:54 am
4) As I keep saying, never pay artists before the work is done. Obviously Josh is using the system to scam people constantly, but if it wasn't him, someone else will scam you. Don't pay artists before the work is done and you will not get ripped off. If they tell you they need to be paid upfront, that is unusual and unprofessional, and you should move on to the next artist.

I have to disagree with this because scamming goes both ways.
If there is an agreement (speak a contract) and some reputation it's absolutely ok to not pay the artist upfront.
Wayforward is an established and professional company, I also worked for and there are assurances that the artist will get paid.
In this case it's completely ok to not pay the artist upfront.

But if one works for "untested" clients or new companies who don't have built up this level of trust as Wayforward it's something else.
Even with a contract, it's safer to ask for a bit of money upfront. This can be 25-50%, depending on the exact job (size).

Usually people who don't mean it earnest don't sign a contract.
People who don't mean it earnest won't give out any money if they don't intend to pay someone in the end.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:19:39 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: November 02, 2015, 04:07:32 pm
I'm new to the community and I'm glad this thread was around to read. Crazy stuff.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #72 on: November 03, 2015, 02:16:18 pm
To clarify, when I say "Don't pay the artist upfront" I'm speaking entirely as the person hiring (not the artist). The reason isn't just about not getting ripped off, it's also about maintaining motivation. If there's outstanding payment, someone will work to complete something. If all rewards have been collected, then there's no driving incentive. Even if the artist doesn't rip you off, they will (at least subconsciously) feel less driven to complete the assignment ASAP, and might prioritize other (yet-to-pay) assignments over it to bring in $$$ as quickly as possible. That's just human nature.

So if you're hiring an artist, I would recommend NOT paying them in advance. And if you do anywy, NEVER pay them the full amount until you're 100% happy with the work (that includes revisions).

Speaking as an artist now, definitely, if you can get some $$$ up front or get a contract or anything else that covers you, go for it. I've gotten ripped off a few times when this wasn't the case. But I will say that I was given any sort of payment in advance of the assignment's completion less than 10% of the time. So while getting an advance (or partial advance) on compensation is preferable for the artist, don't expect it, because I've found it to be a rarity.

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: November 03, 2015, 04:31:42 pm
I don't work unless I get 50% up front or I really trust the person and I've worked with them a lot over time. I don't think it's right to not pay an artist something up front

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: I am looking for Joshua Astorian. (AKA Joshua Robinson)

Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 02:00:12 am
It seems Joshua has changed his name and website in order to separate himself from his past.

http://www.jrobportfolio.com/

Offline janedoe

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: December 04, 2015, 12:47:16 am
I know where to find Joshua Astorian (aka Robinson). [SNIP] If you guys are really trying to find him, file a police report... I'll get an address for you if you're serious about pressing charges.

A Concerned Citizen

[Mod edit: too much personal information given publically.  PM me if you have concerns -Indigo]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:55:29 am by Indigo »

Offline sniffysnails

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: December 04, 2015, 01:25:00 am
I have recently contracted Joshua for pixel art. Unfortunately at the time, his name of Joshua Robinson did not show up in google searches. I have paid him an upfront amount and hopefully he makes good on his word and completes what he said he would. I confronted him with this thread and his new name and he says he has changed. I hope he does and time will tell. I will keep everyone updated on this.

Offline sniffysnails

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: December 05, 2015, 05:08:02 pm
Joshua has unfortunately ceased contact with me and stopped providing any art. Needless to say, he is up to his old tricks.

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 09:27:18 pm
Jesus he's got to be like the best pixel artist to constantly keep getting work even after all of this.

How do people think its still okay to hire him???

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #79 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:06 pm
They probably just didn't background check hard enough (or are super trusting).