AuthorTopic: I am looking for Joshua Astorian. (AKA Joshua Robinson)  (Read 62856 times)

Offline jrjellybean

• View Profile
Hey does anyone know Joshua Astorian?

I paid him 200 US dollars advance to do some work and he stopped responding to my e-mails.  I received the following information about him getting arrested:

http://suburbanjournals.stltoday.com/articles/2009/04/22/madison/crime/0422cvj-cvblotter.txt

Is this him?

This is really frustrating because now I want my 200 dollars back and I can't even get a hold of him.

Can anyone confim that that is him?  Does anyone actually know him?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:56:02 am by Atnas »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: I am looking for Joshua Astorian.

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:11:28 am
Pretty sure it's him. The address matches up with the one in his CV on his homepage.
I only know him via the internet but have not chatted with him in quite a while now.

This is a multi-page thread - make sure to check all pages!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:24:20 pm by Cyangmou »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline majimojo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:43:08 am
Yah I paid him $150 to start some work a month and a half ago and it's been the same here.. just nuttin happening.  I hope he's doing okay.  But yeah.. would be nice to hear back from him or get a refund.

Also.. don't read too much into him getting arrested.  It's probably cause his landlord or something was being aggressive with the law.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:47:57 am by majimojo »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:07:41 pm
Knowing Joshua a little, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario you'll get a refund when he can get back online.

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:13:32 pm
I'm sorry to you guys, it'll be a couple of weeks or so before I'll be able to refund your money. I was just kicked out of the place I was staying so I've been sleeping outside, and trying to find food where I can. I didn't anticipate this problem arising before I agreed to complete the work. I'm really sorry, I'll definitely give you guys both refunds as soon as I possibly can.

Also, thanks for being so patient. Oh, and in regard to me being arrested- I was trying to sleep on my mom's porch one night and she called the police on me. I'm not a criminal, I just keep getting delt a crappy hand. I'm working on it though.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 04:44:53 am
Gives new meaning to 'starving artist' for me. Dang Joshua, hope things improve soon. Your mom sounds like a jerk.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 11:48:27 pm
I hope your situation gets better, as I can empathize with your situation.  I once got arrested trying to jimmy the lock on the office door of where I worked (Where I was one of only 3 employees and mostly had free reign of coming or going) because I accidentally locked myself out with my paycheck inside at night.  The owner of the company was going through financial troubles and was over a week late paying me, so I was pretty hungry having not eaten since the day before while waiting for my check.  A person from the office connected to the building to us was leaving late and called the cops on me so I had to get frisked and thrown against a car while they called my boss and while the rest of the neighborhood got to rubberneck at me agains the car.  Pretty humiliating but the officer ended up giving me 20$ to eat for the night and drove me home.  A couple weeks later things turned better so let's hope it goes that way for you too  :blind:

Offline Johnathon

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 12:38:34 am
Edit: Disregard this post. I've been able to get in contact with him again  ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:18:38 pm by Johnathon »

Offline grayaii

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:54:09 pm
I'm also on the same boat.  I gave him 150 to redo some graphics, and I haven't heard a peek from him since then and it's been almost a month now.
I hope it's just because I don't have his recent contact information, but I've tried joshuaastorian@hotmail.com and joshuaastorian@yahoo.com (along with sending a private message through this forum) and I haven't gotten a response.
Does anyone know a way to get in contact with him?

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:14:56 pm
As far as I know at least one of those mails should work. And he was just on MSN for like 5 minutes.

Offline grayaii

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 05:18:27 pm
Hmm... He's still looking for a job, despite not finishing mine (or the others on this list):
http://www.odesk.com/users/?nbs=1&to=yes&g=&q=pixel%20artist%20animator&qs=1

I would like for him to at least tell me:
1.  I'm going through tough times and I won't be able to do your drawing in the near future.
2.  I have a better job. Here is your 150 back.
3.  I don't plan on doing your drawing, and I don't plan on giving back your money.
I just want closure on this.  That money came out of my own pocket, and I worked hard to get it.

It seems he's online, but no one can get a response from him.

Offline BobBaker92

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 05:56:21 pm
Same boat here, lost $300. No response. Tried every contact/msn I have. Really starting to make me mad....

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 09:21:20 pm
Try adding him on myspace or something, it came out on google results...
http://www.myspace.com/joshuaastorian

EDIT =

Is this guy josh astorian an imposter? as in, a fake identity? I think that this is something that maybe you guys should get more deeply into it maybe? and well I don't mean to be too nosy since this isn't something that involves me, but I just have to say it out there... at least just as an opinion.

I personally don't think he's who he say he is, or that the whole josh astorian identity is a fake. For some reasons...

a) The real owner of his website isn't joshua astorian... it's some guy called Adam Tierney.
http://www.adamtierney.com/

b) I don't really buy this portfolio:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/14580992/Joshua-Astorian

...looks more like a bad rip off adam's long term working history:

http://www.adamtierney.com/index_resume.html

c) if he's kicked out of the house and all that, how does he get online and start taking on jobs? he can't have a computer if he doesn't have a place to live in the 1st place haha...

well I'm not trying to start drama here, and these are just speculations since you guys brought these issues up... so yeah, I'm just saying since you guys are worried asking for a response.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:12:01 pm by Antifarea »

Offline BobBaker92

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 10:08:43 pm
Sent him a message, doubt I'll get a response though.  I do live in the same state as him though, maybe we could file a lawsuit against him as a group, anyone who has lost money and I could represent us in small claims court.  Does anyone know if there is protection in the law against something like this? Basically what he did was fraud, claiming to give a service, and one receiving payment not talking to his clients any more.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 10:11:03 pm
If you have no contracts that's not a good start. I think what Josh did is basically in the gray area as far as taking legal action goes. Tho I dunno if you get enough people together it might work. The threat alone might work that he actually forks over the money or the work he owes.

In any case this is just getting messier and messier.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 10:13:42 pm
I edited my post, and added my views and some other information over the matter... try contacting adam tierney, who is the owner of joshua's domain... also try contacting the companies he swears he worked at...

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 10:30:12 pm
Antifarea: This is how things get even worse. Misinformed people spreading misinformation or in your case conspiracy theories.

Josh very much is a very real person. Some people here on this board worked with him at Gameloft in NY, also he has been around since pretty much the start of pixelation when earning money was not as issue because he was a minor. He worked on quite a few titles for wayforward because Adam Tierney also was/is on pix and that is how they know each other.

Josh actually is a good pixel artist when he gets stuff done.

So again, no, Joshua Astorian is NOT a fake person, he is very much real.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:33:35 pm by ptoing »

Offline BobBaker92

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 10:40:47 pm
Hi, the only problem is that i know he is real.. he took $300 from me lol...  I do agree that what little art I saw (not completed) was good for the first day or so, but what good is art if it's half done and no where near what you paid for.  From the looks of it I counted 5 or 6 people, all recent, that he has taken money from, and not talked to again once the transaction was complete.  Does that sound like the work of an artist to you, maybe a scam artist...  From the totals here it's a rough $1000 that he has taken from people in the past few months, with nothing to show for it.  I for one would think that the moderators would want him off these forums since it appears that he is preying on programmers, and giving artists a bad name.  I don't think that you are condoning what he did at all, hopefully my post doesn't seem that way, it's just frusterating to see so many people hurt by this guy and everyone trying to get a hold of him with no luck.  The least Joshua could do is show his face and explain his actions.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 10:48:09 pm
The problem is that banning him would do nothing at all, he could still just sign up with a new account and just lurk. It would not hold him back from checking what's on the job forums.

And no, I do not condone what he does with scamming people. But as it stands banning him would be pretty much equal to tarring and feathering him because the angry (rightfully) mob wants it. It would change nothing at all about the situation tho, sadly.

Offline BobBaker92

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 10:50:35 pm
True... Although tarring and feathering sounds like a good idea right now.. j/k ;)

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 10:59:26 pm
I think it would be wise to remember that paying up front is both risky and, quite frankly, unprofessional.  If someone asks for a large lump sum up front, that's typically because s/he is in dire need of some quick cash.  Maybe a warning should be added to the "READ THIS FIRST" post.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 11:22:03 pm
Ptoing = I'm glad that you have clarifyed it.  :y:

Well people can't just be left off like that, there has to be regulations or something added to his reputation or like an special thread that shows off situations of people involved in scams... I wish the karma system worked that way on the site, aside from just having to do with how you behave in the forums... Just an idea... haha talking about that, I just seem to have too many ideas to change the world around me as of lately, it's just one of those weeks.  ;D

...also for the victims, I want to say, if you guys ever work on serious projects, try making contract works next time, that way you can sue those people and get your money back a lot easier... good luck guys.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 12:45:51 am
Hi everyone,

Sven (Ptoing) pointed me to this thread. I helped Josh get a lot of his early gigs, through the company I work for (WayForward) and through recommendations to other companies. I also set up a website for him, which is why my name is listed as the register of joshastorian.com. Josh is an incredibly talented pixel artist, but he's had trouble finishing pieces on time (from what I've heard), and frequently requests money up front. I was contacted by someone a while back about Josh skipping out on a contract after being paid, but before doing the work. I contacted Josh and told him that he needed to set things right for that individual or I wouldn't be a part of him finding anymore work in the future. I didn't hear back from Josh on the subject, so I haven't recommended him since, and can't in good conscious recommend him currently.

Like I said, he's a fantastic pixel artist, but he needs to get his life together because he's ruining any potential for a career in the industry. Apologies to anyone who was scammed by Josh or is owed work by him. I see Josh online every so often so I'm not sure why he can't just finish the work he owes. But it doesn't concern me anymore as I haven't vouched for him in some time.

- Adam

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 02:10:56 am
I want to apologize to everyone I've received money from and didn't complete the work. I have just been incredibly busy dealing with major life situations and its caused me to take on work in the hope that my situation would change I would be able to do the work. I recently found out my fiance is pregnant and I have literally no place to live for me or my family. I am homeless. I'm not trying to give that as an excuse for my irresponsible decision to take on work that I wasn't absolutely certain I'd be able to complete but it has hindered my work.

I am currently trying to work this out with everyone so if I missed you please send me a pm.

Thanks,

Josh

Offline trentg

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 12:47:00 am
I've also been ripped off by Josh for $200. Oh, I did get one simpe little 240x160 graphic out of it, something I could have done myself in about 5 minutes... I wouldn't get your hopes up from this guy, he's told me several times that he is going to do the work he just hasn't got around to it, yet he takes more jobs and rips more people off. So Josh, I don't accept your apology because it's a load of crap. You may very well be homeless and have a kid on the way but you and I had an agreement before this so called pregnancy and you didn't get anything done then either. And FYI I've been homeless and I never took a dime from anybody, it's not an excuse for theft and fraud.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 03:05:37 am
in all fairness, $200 for a 240x160 image may have been well worth the cost considering his skill level.  Though broken contracts are another story

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 03:28:42 am
Hello,

I'm interested in the job of which you have specified.

I have 5 years experience creating graphics for licensed GBA & mobile phone games and about 3 years in the Nintendo DS industry. You can find my portfolio and work history here: http://joshastorian.com. (You will need firefox to view at the moment) Heres a link to my current resume: http://joshastorian.com/Resume_JoshAstorian.doc and you can find a letter of recommendation from a Director from the licensed game developer "Wayforward Technologies" whom I've worked for the past 3 years here: http://joshastorian.com/Josh_letter.doc. I'm great with deadlines, and I can adapt to whatever graphical style that's needed.

Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Joshua Astorian
http://www.joshastorian.com
MSN: joshuaastorian@hotmail.com

In all fairness and assuming your situation to be true, why were you still trying to take on new work when you appear to have current unfulfilled obligations to other clients, and no means or time to satisfy new clients. You are not doing anybody here on these forums any favours whatsoever by such actions.

I sincerely hope you can sort yourself out and sort things out between those that have posted complaints and concerns here. I know very well what it is like to suddenly have ten tonnes of real life shit suddenly bear down on you, so for that I can sympathize with your situation, and I hope you can mend whatever fences you seem to have crashed through in the process. But, to continue the analogy, please don't go breaking down another fence to get wood for the ones you've broken.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline trentg

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 04:52:05 pm
in all fairness, $200 for a 240x160 image may have been well worth the cost considering his skill level.  Though broken contracts are another story

Here is the image:

It's literally something I could have done myself in 5-10 minutes.

--

Ok, here's something I paid $150 CAD for, which worked out (after exchange rate and Western Union fees to be $100 less than what I paid Josh):

I was on MSN with Josh (about a month after he took the job) and he said he's do something for me and 5 minutes later he had that little blue design... I hardly think $2400/hr is fair for that thing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:59:58 pm by trentg »

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:25 pm
The following quote is from an interview with Feng Zhu, which I think fits the current topic:
Is there any way to stand out from the rest besides being good?
Being good is 90% of it. The other 10% is your personality and business sense. Nobody wants to work with someone who has a bad attitude or awkward. [...]

I know nothing from Josh apart from his pictures, which I really like. But to successfully work as an artist, you must have a professional attitude. Once you gain mistrust in the internet, it's hard to rehabilitate. Bad cookie, that's the internet for you.
But don't let your head down. By the words of someone I really admire: "It's not the obstacle, but your reaction to it. It's up to you if you use your obstacles as stepping stones to your dream or stumbling blocks. There is no such thing as failure until you admit so yourself."

On the other side, as an employer you have your own responsibilities. Do some serious research before you hire a new artist. Blaming the employee in the internet is imho not very professional either. Try to solve the problem on a direct level and don't display your anger on the internet. Cookies might taste bad. For your self-gratification: In google, this thread appears above Josh's own website.

Offline trentg

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 10:00:55 pm
Try to solve the problem on a direct level and don't display your anger on the internet.

Time is money and I've already put a lot of time into trying to get something other than lies out of Josh... I can't do it anymore. In his last message he said leave me a pm... well Josh, if you _really_ want to fulfill your duties, it should be you pm'ing everyone who you've taken for a ride.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 09:20:17 am
trentg I realize you're upset but should you be posting stuff like that in Pixelation? I mean, the problem exists and the relevant parties should resolve it in private, a public document also exists to serve as warning to whomever needs to be warned, do we need to drag this on?

Offline montonero

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 10:52:27 am
Eh, I wish I have read this before I paid Joshua Astorian $85 in advance for a mock-up yesterday.
He told me that (quote):
"Joshua: oh alright. well i'll be updating you as i progress, somethng like every hour or two"

Obviously there were no updates since then.

Leaving this message here to warn other people.

There is more about him on other sites: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7124

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 04:19:59 pm
Montonero: hopefully he will get back to you, it's only been a day so far. I really hate when people like him do others wrong. In the future, perhaps make use of the half now half then method? or if that was what you were using you may have to explore as extreme a measure as pay every hour. I'm sure an artist would understand that you've had a case like this before and would not mind if their paypal account lists 4 payments of $12 as opposed to 1 of $48.

Offline montonero

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 05:03:41 pm
so I haven't recommended him since, and can't in good conscious recommend him currently.

- Adam

You recommended him in 2011 on linkedin. Because of that recommendation I paid him upfront.
Could you please update or delete you recommendation of him on linkedin? That would *really* help other people. I don't understand why would you intentionally mislead other people?

Thanks.

UPDATE:
- sent PM to Adam Tierney asking for removing recommendation on linkedin.
- contacted linkedin and provided them with numerous links to forum posts by people who were defrauded by Joshua Astorian.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:46:30 pm by montonero »

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 10:03:21 pm
Okay, I just replied to montonero via email, but since he felt the need to bring me into this publicly, I'll repeat here what I told him:

1) In 2009, I was brought into this topic here. I commented, but I have never personally been ripped off by Josh (I've only heard of others' situations).

2) I didn't work with Josh for a while, primarily due to the fact that my company wasn't doing many pixel games for a few years.

3) Last year (2011), my company brought Josh back on for some of our games (including Hotel Transylvania and Adventure Time on DS) and he did work for us. As far as I know, there were no issues.

4) I was asked to endorse Josh on LinkedIn, he was working for us fine at the time, so I wrote the following:

“Josh Astorian is one of the strongest pixel artists in the industry. He contributed character models, environments, and additional illustrations on several of our game projects. I can fully recommend him for any 2D game project that you are staffing. His artistry will elevate your product's visuals.”

Everything in there is 100% true, and remains true. Josh is one of the best character pixel modelers I've ever known.

5) DON'T EVER PAY ANYONE FOR WORK BEFORE THEY DO THE WORK!!!! Maybe this is the reason I've not had any issues with Josh on my own projects. It should be common sense. There is NO LOGIC to paying someone before they complete a task. If you're willing to do that, you should expect to kiss your money goodbye.

6) AGAIN, DON'T EVER PAY ANYONE FOR WORK BEFORE THEY DO THE WORK!!!!

I am not removing my LinkedIn recommendation because it was accurate when I wrote it, it remains accurate, and because I've personally had no issues working with him.

Offline montonero

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 10:13:21 am
Thanks for the clarification, Adam. Glad you are happy publicly recommending a fraudster/scammer/lier which Josh Astorian is.
He actually uses your recommendation when applying for jobs (quotes):
- " my linkedin account with recent employer recommendations"
- "LinkedIn page (includes work history and references):  "

It looks like that this lowlife  has 10 clients he ripped off for 1 he didn't. AVOID HIM AT ALL COSTS.

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 03:50:32 pm
@AdamTierny:  I can't say anything novel to this situation, but I find your response somewhat disingenuous.  I would never recommend someone who I thought would accept money and then not produce work for it.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #37 on: October 28, 2012, 03:55:45 pm
Okay, here's what I did (and I still don't appreciate your snarky attitude toward me, montonero). You can't edit a LinkedIn recommendation without the person's approval, which I'm sure Josh wouldn't give. So I removed the previous recommendation, then added this one:

Josh Astorian is one of the strongest pixel artists in the industry. He contributed character models, environments, and additional illustrations on several of our game projects. I can fully recommend him for any 2D game project that you are staffing. His artistry will elevate your product's visuals.

Note: Please do not pay in advance of receiving the final work from Josh.

It is up to Josh now whether he wishes to add this to his LinkedIn profile. I hope he does, because he is an incredible artist, and he deserves to get work, so long as he actually does the work.

I'm not being disingenuous. This is a person who can do fantastic pixel art, and continues to do fantastic art for the company I work for. His issue of skipping out on work does not affect me because I do not pay him in advance, which should be everyone's standard practice with ALL artists, regardless of their history.

Offline piebear

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 03:50:11 am
I'm sorry to you guys, it'll be a couple of weeks or so before I'll be able to refund your money. I was just kicked out of the place I was staying so I've been sleeping outside, and trying to find food where I can. I didn't anticipate this problem arising before I agreed to complete the work. I'm really sorry, I'll definitely give you guys both refunds as soon as I possibly can.

Also, thanks for being so patient. Oh, and in regard to me being arrested- I was trying to sleep on my mom's porch one night and she called the police on me. I'm not a criminal, I just keep getting delt a crappy hand. I'm working on it though.

Hello Josh, it's Andy.
Of course I ended up googling your name since you took £80 off me for a project, and then another £20 when you told me you were kicked out and needed money for a hotel.

I have mixed feeling about this whole situation and am not quite sure how to approach it.

As for people questioning this character I can only say he appears to be genuine from what I gather.
i don't believe Josh is a serial con-artist as I've been careful to google all his claims.
However he has taken money from people and clearly not been able to provide his work which is a negative on his C.V (domestic situation excused if improved finding to be true).
Take all online transactions with caution.

As for Josh, please email the people you have taken money from as not to upset.
After all this link is the first link when your name is googled.
I send you the best and hope your situation improves (if of course you're not a scammer).

Offline chrizt

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 05:18:54 am
omg luckily i read this thread before giving him transaction code of the money i sent via western union. i think i will just ask for the work to be done first before giving him the code or the deal is off.

Offline Torokun

• View Profile

Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 09:24:29 pm
Sigh...

I wish I got to see this post first.

I still don't think Josh is a total scammer.  Looks like he is in a very tough situation... and has been for some time now.

I did pay him upfront last weekend.  I decided to give him a shot because of his Wayforward work experience and Adam Tierny's endoresement.  I had no idea something like this was going on... 
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline polliwog

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:27 pm
Apparently he is still looking for more work, as he responded to my post looking for an artist just yesterday.  Seems like he will never change. I responded to him stating that he had already taken money from me on another project without doing any work, and haven't heard back from him.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 04:23:35 pm
Guys, please - never pay ANY artist money for work they haven't done. It is industry standard to receive the completed work, and all revisions, before the artist can even invoice (let alone get paid). I'm not justifying Josh's actions at all, but you should never feel like you need to pay someone before they can begin a project. That's just not how it works, and any artist telling you that you need to pay them first is taking advantage of you.

Offline wishie

• View Profile
    • Deviantart

Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 06:09:42 pm
Um, what happens if the client doesn't pay the artist for their work? This is why artists ask for some payment up front. It's a way to protect themselves from getting screwed over as well. I like the half-half idea that someone stated earlier, sounds pretty fair to me, but it also depends on the client and artist discuss amongst themselves.

With graphic design work, I read somewhere online that some people take payments in little increments. They do a sketch, get some payment; do the actual work, get some/the main payment; any revisions or further editing, get more payments.

It's seems to be all about communication, which isn't there with this josh person. If I were someone that didn't get any work from him after 30days of sending the payments, I would report him, even if it's just on the site that you found him on like linkdn or other portfolio based sites that help client and contractors find/get work. Start demanding your money back because he didn't send any form of work yet. Even if he's in a tough situation, he should have told you guys ahead of time that getting WIPs may be a a little slow or not promised to do any work for you at all.

Are there any contracts involved with this person? even if you're just an independent programmer or artist, there should be contracts to protect yourself. This might something that should be considered. I'm just starting to learn more about contracts myself, it's something that I didn't know about when it came to freelancing until a few months ago :blind:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:11:31 pm by wishie »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:49 pm
Um, what happens if the client doesn't pay the artist for their work? This is why artists ask for some payment up front. It's a way to protect themselves from getting screwed over as well. I like the half-half idea that someone stated earlier, sounds pretty fair to me, but it also depends on the client and artist discuss amongst themselves.

With graphic design work, I read somewhere online that some people take payments in little increments. They do a sketch, get some payment; do the actual work, get some/the main payment; any revisions or further editing, get more payments.

It's seems to be all about communication, which isn't there with this josh person. If I were someone that didn't get any work from him after 30days of sending the payments, I would report him, even if it's just on the site that you found him on like linkdn or other portfolio based sites that help client and contractors find/get work. Start demanding your money back because he didn't send any form of work yet. Even if he's in a tough situation, he should have told you guys ahead of time that getting WIPs may be a a little slow or not promised to do any work for you at all.

Are there any contracts involved with this person? even if you're just an independent programmer or artist, there should be contracts to protect yourself. This might something that should be considered. I'm just starting to learn more about contracts myself, it's something that I didn't know about when it came to freelancing until a few months ago :blind:
The truth.. It hurts me so....

Offline wishie

• View Profile
    • Deviantart

Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 05:56:58 am
No matter which side you're on, whether you're the client or the artist, there is that small chance of getting taken advantage of. There's a certain level of trust that both sides place with each other. One expects work and the other expects payments. It's also why we got to try to protect ourselves by taking the necessary precautions if possible.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 03:29:16 am
When working with a new client, it's a good idea for the artist to arrange a small deliverable and bill upon its completion. This approach establishes trust and manages the artist's risk without having him/her to ask for money upfront.

Offline Torokun

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 10:08:22 pm
Guys, please - never pay ANY artist money for work they haven't done. It is industry standard to receive the completed work, and all revisions, before the artist can even invoice (let alone get paid). I'm not justifying Josh's actions at all, but you should never feel like you need to pay someone before they can begin a project. That's just not how it works, and any artist telling you that you need to pay them first is taking advantage of you.

Bit of an update on the situation as well as reply to Adam's posting...

Adam,  I have been on the both end of being a client and an artist in the gaming industry numerous times.  I know you are familiar with working with people on different size projects. Big projects often require some percentage of payment up front...  Small project like this situation with Joshua... I would probably wait until the project is done.  Not knowing Josh's past record...  I just felt bad about his situation and decided to give him a chance.  Which backfired.  I also have a famous artist take large sum of money and just completely not delivering...  ended up jeopardizing the entire project... 

With Josh... he did get back to me via Skype once saying he is doing work.  I requested to get in touch with him for updates and communication but he has completely disappeared.  I was going to pay certain amount and demand the rest back.  But at this point, this is serious breach of contract.  I will have to ask for the full refund.

All this to say... more things like this happens to the client, it's not good for the all the artists.  Reasonable clients will always negotiate with terms of payment.  But more things like this happen, it will be harder for artists to have flexible payment method...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:08:40 pm by Torokun »
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline burzum

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 09:14:19 pm
Same situation, he tried getting 600$ from me. Fortunately I read this thread while talking to him.

Offline zeteginara

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 06:24:05 pm
Yeah, he tried getting money from me too, multiple times.  I read this thread and slept on it.  I have seen the work that he has done and am very impressed with it. and I came to the conclusion that Josh is a very skilled artist and I want him to do some work for me, BUT, because of his history, I will not pay him in advance for his work. 

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #50 on: December 13, 2012, 10:52:48 pm
"Um, what happens if the client doesn't pay the artist for their work? This is why artists ask for some payment up front. It's a way to protect themselves from getting screwed over as well."

They can ask all they want. But speaking as someone who's worked extensively in hobby and professional game dev, I've never, ever paid someone in advance. And I've never met a pro artist that has expected this. It's just not how it works in the industry.

Artists can protect themselves by asking for a contract specifying their workload and pay rates, or an informal agreement to the same effect. And just generally taking on projects with devs that seem to be established and have a track record. But actually paying an artist in advance is a terrible idea, not just because of potential ripoffs, but because it kills their incentive and motivation - they already have the money. If you pay artists in advance, watch - you will get lazier, less polished work, and you will get it later, because they will prioritize toward getting new money coming in first. It's just a bad, bad idea.

"With graphic design work, I read somewhere online that some people take payments in little increments. They do a sketch, get some payment; do the actual work, get some/the main payment; any revisions or further editing, get more payments."

Absolutely! This is very common and a great idea, especially for larger tasks. In fact I'll often price per image, and allow the artist to invoice at any time for the images they've finished (and had approved) up to that point. So long as payment always follow the tasks, assignments can be broken up however the artist and the company want to.

"When working with a new client, it's a good idea for the artist to arrange a small deliverable and bill upon its completion. This approach establishes trust and manages the artist's risk without having him/her to ask for money upfront."

More power to you as an artist, if you can get them to agree to this. I never would, nor would any of the other developer I know.

"Big projects often require some percentage of payment up front..."

I absolutely disagree. Honestly, I've overseen projects that are massive, with 50+ people working on them. Nobody gets paid in advance. That is not an expectation that flies in the industry, only in the hobby and small dev communities. You shouldn't ever need to do that.

Look at the situation with Josh, and don't see it in terms of 'Now I won't deal with this artist.' Look at it from a perspective of, 'How can I takes steps to ensure that NO artist does that to me?' Discuss and decide upon rates with the artist, give the assignment, critique and give feedback when the art comes in, and only when the work is 100% approved should the artist be entitled to compensation. It puts a little more pressure on them, but if you're someone that can't wait a few days for cash, you're in the wrong field. Especially when you get to larger publishers, where they work on 'net 30' or 'net 60' (meaning your payment doesn't even get PROCESSED until 1 or 2 months after completion).  :o

"I have seen the work that he has done and am very impressed with it. and I came to the conclusion that Josh is a very skilled artist and I want him to do some work for me, BUT, because of his history, I will not pay him in advance for his work. "

That's what is of course so frustrating. Josh is one of the most talented character pixel artists I've ever seen. It's just a shame he muddies his talent and destroys his reputation with scams such as these.  :(

Offline MIRRORZZ

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 05:24:12 am
Josh is one of my best friends, we go back a long time, I know he has had a tough living situation, plus he has a child, and some personal problems, I can't defend his scams however I know he works extremely hard, I know he's worked from libraries and all kinds of places to get his work done, his work is amazing, I feel sorry for him and what he's been through and why he scammed ppl, he's still a great artist, that's all I gotta say.

Offline rdellafave

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:53 pm
I run a somewhat large independent game studio. Joshua approached me several times regarding, almost begging, for a position. He gave me the whole sob story about his kids not having pull-ups, like he has to many people here. I thought his portfolio was OK, but not earth shattering. I sent him a small amount of money in exchange for a few tiles. It was a trial for the position, but more than anything I just wanted him to stop blabbering.

Of course I never received the work. I blame myself for not Googling his name first. It was a nominal sum so no big deal. However, the fact that scum like this discredits good artists everywhere is incredibly annoying. I suggest we file a lawsuit against him. I have documentation and a track record of my conversation with him, as I'm sure many of you do. Although no one single person has been screwed out of a lot of money, collectively, it adds up.

Light a fire under this guy's @ss. I'd say he's done quite enough to deserve it. Please contact me if you'd like to pursue matters more aggressively.

Offline Sorcerak

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 04:42:25 am
THANK YOU. I was just about to offer him a large job! It's pretty much the same scenario rdellafave he came to me a bit needy last night, had a decent portfolio and good price.  I'm so glad I googled for his name and stumbled upon this thread. +10000 internets.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 03:25:28 am
For fuck's sake Josh, as a friend, (and I know you're reading this thread) PLEASE stop taking peoples money in advance.  People are willing to give you a shot despite all of this shit you've dug yourself into.  Just do the damn work and get paid.  Need diapers for the kid?  Do the work. Get paid.  Need to pay your rent?  Do the work. Get paid.  The answer is right there in front of your face.  You have no idea how frustrating it is for me to constantly hear this about you.  I KNOW you are capable of just doing a little work and getting back on your feet again.  Do it.  Stop embarrassing yourself.

If I were you, I'd address the situation quite bluntly when searching for future work.  I'd put a disclaimer on your website/emails explaining the string of bad jobs - but promise to not accept any form of advanced payment if hired.  Build that trust again.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:29:55 am by Indigo »

Offline dragonslumber

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: June 02, 2014, 10:16:35 pm
I'd just like to add that I was just contacted by Joshua Astorian on Skype concerning a pixel art job and when I confronted him with this, he immediately disappeared.  I can't vouch that he is a scammer, but his reaction definitely comes across as shady.  Also, I found this while searching for more info about him: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/joshua-astorian/collinsville-illinois-/joshua-astorian-scammed-money-from-me-this-year-and-others-in-2009-for-artistic-word-that-961843

Offline JForceGames

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:11 pm
I've also just been burned by this scammer. Worst part is that I googled his name before I paid him and this thread was the first result. I clicked it and saw that he was replying in it and that there were people backing him up, didn't notice it was a multiple page thread, and just brushed it off as something from the past that got worked out. So dumb of me. Am angry. If there's any type of legal action we can jointly take against this guy I would love to do that.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 11:28:25 pm
I've also just been burned by this scammer. Worst part is that I googled his name before I paid him and this thread was the first result. I clicked it and saw that he was replying in it and that there were people backing him up, didn't notice it was a multiple page thread, and just brushed it off as something from the past that got worked out. So dumb of me. Am angry. If there's any type of legal action we can jointly take against this guy I would love to do that.

Sadly we can't do anything against that you got scammed.

I edited Ptoings comment on the first page with big red letters.

THe only action you can take actually is to get a lawyer and sue him.
If you have had a clearly written out contract, which you should always have if you are outsourcing freelance work, it should be a pretty clear case for any court around the world.
If you don't have made a contract, there is very little you can do, except you have e-mails stating the exact work.
However without a properly signed contract it's getting a lot harder and there are quite some gray areas in the law - depending on the country you live in. 
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 03:31:50 pm
Is this for real?

Got this from his Linkedin profile
Experience
Graphic Artist
WayForward Technologies
July 2005 – Present (10 years 4 months)Valencia, CA (Remote, freelance)

I work for Wayforward, creating sprite designs, animations, and backgrounds for licensed NDS and GBA titles.

Is he still working for WayForward Technologies, even with his scamming history?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 04:02:44 pm
He is. As far as I can tell, he does contract work for them whenever they are in need of pixel work. The most recent game seems to be Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (summer 2014). Adam Tierny (who directs some of the Wayforward games) already posted above that he's been working with them for years and they've always been super happy with him.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #60 on: October 08, 2015, 04:25:59 pm
He is. As far as I can tell, he does contract work for them whenever they are in need of pixel work. The most recent game seems to be Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (summer 2014). Adam Tierny (who directs some of the Wayforward games) already posted above that he's been working with them for years and they've always been super happy with him.

I love Wayforward, but allowing a known scammer associate with them, giving him gigs/projects is very disappointing. All those people (the latest one JForceGames) who got victimized by Josh and god knows how many are they From 2009? to the present and he gets away with it.

He is also using Wayforwards background to lure potential future clients/victims.
This is just ridiculous
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:32:39 pm by Froli »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #61 on: October 08, 2015, 06:33:02 pm
If he didn't have a contract with you, I would refrain from posting such comments. You don't know what happened. I assume this thread isn't locked yet, because it provides people looking for info a place to talk. These are simple legal matters, which we have no reason to interfere with.

For example, you mention he is "luring" "victims", you have no proof of that. Slandering people you don't know is just as bad as not fulfilling a contract.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #62 on: October 08, 2015, 07:16:24 pm
I'm not really fluent with English but I hope it's comprehensible enough to what I mean.

Proofs
You recommended him in 2011 on linkedin. Because of that recommendation I paid him upfront.
Because of his profile in Linkedin specially with his connections to Wayforward, some people will get lured to him/go to him for commissions (the company has a very good reputation for retro and pixel artists with skills at high caliber)

montonero Posted: 28 October 2012 at 3:39am

Looks like Josh Astorian is back to his old tricks.
A resume posted on TigSource this summer: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27532.0
And still ripping off people by using his linkedin recommendations:

Joshua Astorian: 2D Game Artist with Licensed NDS & GBA titles experience
« on: July 26, 2012, 01:00:37 am »

Hello Tigsource!

Sorry for the long title- I tried to be brief but eye catching. Tongue

I have 5 years experience creating graphics for licensed GBA & mobile phone games and about 3 years in the Nintendo DS industry.
Portfolio: http://digitalmosaic.blogspot.com
LinkedIn page (includes work history and references): http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joshua-astorian/11/740/476

And aren't this guys who came forward on this thread victims? just like JForceGames who made that recent post.
His friends posting here saying what he is doing is wrong and Even Adam Tierney the Designer/director at WayForward Technologies said this.
That's what is of course so frustrating. Josh is one of the most talented character pixel artists I've ever seen. It's just a shame he muddies his talent and destroys his reputation with scams such as these. :(
All of this are proofs, so where is the slander in that?
I've seen this thread years ago and kept myself from posting until now because god damn, nothing has changed after 6 years.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:17:45 pm by Froli »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #63 on: October 08, 2015, 07:48:56 pm
I stand by what I said, that we shouldn't comment too much, as we aren't affected parties.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #64 on: October 08, 2015, 08:24:33 pm
And aren't this guys who came forward on this thread victims? just like JForceGames who recently made that recent post.
His friends posting here saying what he is doing is wrong and Even Adam Tierney the Designer/director at WayForward Technologies said this. All of this are proofs, so where is the slander in that?

From a moderation standpoint I have to say that stating facts (you got scammed how and why and a warning that it's still happening) or stating assumptions (you don't got scammed, but are just shitposting your personal opinion about someone in this thread) are 2 completely different things.

If one got scammed, it's as it is and we as Pixelation comm can't do anything about that, except leaving hints how to do professional business.
We have this thread here, but as far as I know Joshua is not part of this community, or at least not part of the active posting community.

If one gets a victim in business because of one's own fault, it's sad for all freelancers out there that it happens but we just can't do anything against it.

There are artists who scam their client.
And there are clients who sam their artists.
That is a fact and it's just how it is - but you can prevent this with contracts and preliminary searches for names via google THen most of these scams won't happen at all.

Only go ahead from now on if you have news or something constructive to add.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline ExtinctGames

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: October 12, 2015, 07:21:31 am
I just got sent to this thread because I posted another thread about Joshua scamming( http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=18964.msg166352#new )

He did the same with me just 2 weeks ago, said he needed groceries for his son and had no money, produced a VERY good mockup of the character I wanted so I paid him the whole gig up front. Stupid me for not Googling and searching the forum before... Seems this guy just keeps going from one person to the next...

There is a so much evidence here and on other forums and websites that I put to my legal team and We've already contacted the Murphysboro Sheriffs office and WILL be pressing charges and a court summons will go out straight away If I do not hear back from him within the time stated in the email I sent him today.

Such as a shame as I had a LOT more work for him lined up.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: October 24, 2015, 01:46:37 pm
^ Hope youre serious, its about time this scammer got held to account. keep us updated

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #67 on: November 01, 2015, 08:29:27 pm
oh my fuck jawsh not again  :'(

it's awful to see this stuff he was a great member here once. There's no denying he's had it coming....it's strange to think how people can go down this kind of path and not face themselves until it gets this bad
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:32:54 pm by Conceit »

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #68 on: November 01, 2015, 10:11:23 pm
Ugh, here we go again...

Since I'm getting called out by name here, I should probably respond. Let me clarify a few things.

1) I don't recommend or endorse Josh in anyway at this point. The last time he created art for me personally, I believe, was in 2008 on Aliens DS. That art was great, and I had no issues with him. But as I keep saying, I've never paid him upfront.

2) Since then, it looks like he's worked on a few projects for WayForward. This wouldn't surprise me. We have done a lot of pixel games, and there are a lot of directors at the company, several of whom know Josh and have worked with him before. I wasn't aware that he worked on the Transformers game, but it wouldn't surprise me. Since my company never pays artists before the work is done, there wouldn't be an opportunity for him to scam us.

3) Apologies to anyone who gets scammed by this guy. The whole situation is very sad. Some people seem to want Josh to stop using WayForward as a reference to get more work. Well first, I have no control over what he posts in his profiles. Second, even though it appears he is still actively ripping people off, if he did work for my company recently and there were no problems, then I don't see how that reference on his resume would be invalid. If it were up to me, he would not be citing us. But I have no control over that, and I'm not the last person he worked with at this company, so there's unfortunately not much I can do.

4) As I keep saying, never pay artists before the work is done. Obviously Josh is using the system to scam people constantly, but if it wasn't him, someone else will scam you. Don't pay artists before the work is done and you will not get ripped off. If they tell you they need to be paid upfront, that is unusual and unprofessional, and you should move on to the next artist.

5) If someone got scammed by him, they should by all means report him to the authorities. It's going to be difficult to prove that stuff, because unless you have contracts, or unless it was very formal how you went about things, I imagine it will be pretty difficult to lay blame on him. He can always just say that he's running behind and was still working on the art. But please feel free to try. If this is something Josh is still doing to this day, there should be consequences for his actions.

6) I'm going to talk to my bosses at the company, let them know what's going on, and recommend that we don't use him for any future projects.

EDIT: I just saw Josh's LinkedIn profile. It makes it sound like he currently works for WayForward. He does not. To my knowledge, the last project he worked with us on was Transformers 3DS in 2013. I've asked him to update his profile to reflect this.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:24:26 pm by AdamTierney »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #69 on: November 01, 2015, 10:29:28 pm
Scamming goes both ways. Now I always ask for half of pay up front. I've been burned for several hundred dollars worth of work, though it is a small price to pay to learn this. If you are really worried about scammers, for both client and artist, the absolute best thing to do would be to write up a contract you both agree on.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #70 on: November 02, 2015, 11:17:54 am
4) As I keep saying, never pay artists before the work is done. Obviously Josh is using the system to scam people constantly, but if it wasn't him, someone else will scam you. Don't pay artists before the work is done and you will not get ripped off. If they tell you they need to be paid upfront, that is unusual and unprofessional, and you should move on to the next artist.

I have to disagree with this because scamming goes both ways.
If there is an agreement (speak a contract) and some reputation it's absolutely ok to not pay the artist upfront.
Wayforward is an established and professional company, I also worked for and there are assurances that the artist will get paid.
In this case it's completely ok to not pay the artist upfront.

But if one works for "untested" clients or new companies who don't have built up this level of trust as Wayforward it's something else.
Even with a contract, it's safer to ask for a bit of money upfront. This can be 25-50%, depending on the exact job (size).

Usually people who don't mean it earnest don't sign a contract.
People who don't mean it earnest won't give out any money if they don't intend to pay someone in the end.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:19:39 am by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: November 02, 2015, 04:07:32 pm
I'm new to the community and I'm glad this thread was around to read. Crazy stuff.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #72 on: November 03, 2015, 02:16:18 pm
To clarify, when I say "Don't pay the artist upfront" I'm speaking entirely as the person hiring (not the artist). The reason isn't just about not getting ripped off, it's also about maintaining motivation. If there's outstanding payment, someone will work to complete something. If all rewards have been collected, then there's no driving incentive. Even if the artist doesn't rip you off, they will (at least subconsciously) feel less driven to complete the assignment ASAP, and might prioritize other (yet-to-pay) assignments over it to bring in $$$ as quickly as possible. That's just human nature.

So if you're hiring an artist, I would recommend NOT paying them in advance. And if you do anywy, NEVER pay them the full amount until you're 100% happy with the work (that includes revisions).

Speaking as an artist now, definitely, if you can get some $$$ up front or get a contract or anything else that covers you, go for it. I've gotten ripped off a few times when this wasn't the case. But I will say that I was given any sort of payment in advance of the assignment's completion less than 10% of the time. So while getting an advance (or partial advance) on compensation is preferable for the artist, don't expect it, because I've found it to be a rarity.

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: November 03, 2015, 04:31:42 pm
I don't work unless I get 50% up front or I really trust the person and I've worked with them a lot over time. I don't think it's right to not pay an artist something up front

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: I am looking for Joshua Astorian. (AKA Joshua Robinson)

Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 02:00:12 am
It seems Joshua has changed his name and website in order to separate himself from his past.

http://www.jrobportfolio.com/

Offline janedoe

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: December 04, 2015, 12:47:16 am
I know where to find Joshua Astorian (aka Robinson). [SNIP] If you guys are really trying to find him, file a police report... I'll get an address for you if you're serious about pressing charges.

A Concerned Citizen

[Mod edit: too much personal information given publically.  PM me if you have concerns -Indigo]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:55:29 am by Indigo »

Offline sniffysnails

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: December 04, 2015, 01:25:00 am
I have recently contracted Joshua for pixel art. Unfortunately at the time, his name of Joshua Robinson did not show up in google searches. I have paid him an upfront amount and hopefully he makes good on his word and completes what he said he would. I confronted him with this thread and his new name and he says he has changed. I hope he does and time will tell. I will keep everyone updated on this.

Offline sniffysnails

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: December 05, 2015, 05:08:02 pm
Joshua has unfortunately ceased contact with me and stopped providing any art. Needless to say, he is up to his old tricks.

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 09:27:18 pm
Jesus he's got to be like the best pixel artist to constantly keep getting work even after all of this.

How do people think its still okay to hire him???

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #79 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:06 pm
They probably just didn't background check hard enough (or are super trusting).

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #80 on: December 06, 2015, 05:42:44 am
At this point I think it's more than called for to create an official warning in the jobs section. This is bad for everyone. Josh too. Maybe without stealing money from his clients he can get clean easier.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #81 on: December 07, 2015, 04:33:31 pm
Absolutely, what's sad is that he has so much capacity to deliver, but he continues to make it worse to the point where it seems impossible for him to fix it anymore. maybe what's needed is to hold him accountable to see if he will stop running.

Offline Ninjus

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: December 31, 2015, 10:36:48 pm
I did not see this thread prior and paid Joshua money upfront to do some pixel art. He has also disappeared on me  :yell:.
He used the name "Astro" when he contacted me and will attempt to convince you on Skype to use Western Union's delivery method "cash at agent location" to send to his so-called fiancee.
I have filed a complaint with Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), hopefully they will be able to do something to put a stop to him.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:49:13 pm by Ninjus »

Offline daftofyou

• View Profile

Reply #83 on: January 08, 2016, 03:37:52 am
He just tried pulling the same stunt with me :/ Wanted to be paid via Western Union to his fiance.  He seemed pretty legit up until he started rushing me for the money and such..

Offline janedoe

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: February 02, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
Someone needs to set this guy up with the authorities to implicate him and his fiance for fraud. I know who his fiance is and how to locate them both. Both of them have criminal records. The pair can be indicted for conspiracy because they are each involved together. The fact is that both of them are drug addicts (heroine) and each have criminal pasts. They are both trying to dodge the authorities and have illegitimate incomes. These are career criminals, so be careful. Right now they are desperate for money because they have felonies they are still trying to pay off and are close to going back to jail for not paying their fines. They are getting very desperate.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #85 on: February 21, 2016, 05:52:03 pm
Wow, great way to give your fellow pixel artists a bad name! It's 2016 and the guy is still doing this??

What a waste.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #86 on: May 23, 2017, 08:55:30 pm
Alright.

So, for those of you who aren't aware of my history, I've been battling opiate/drug addiction since I was homeless at the age of 17. That's when I started making the mistake of taking money, and not doing the work. I never set out to "rip off" anyone. I always took on the work with the best intentions- always ready to do the work. Unfortunately, the nature of my addiction kept me in a state to where I often felt I "needed" an advance payment so I could purchase the drugs so I could not be sick and actually do the work. Instead what would happen is I'd get the money, get the drugs, start the work (sometimes I wouldn't even get that far) then I'd be sick again, and couldn't sit still or focus to actually get anything done due to the withdrawal (Serious opiate withdrawal is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy). This may sound like an excuse, but it's not. I take full responsibility for what I've done. What I'm doing here is telling the truth. Powerful opiate addiction is a very serious, deadly, and nearly irreversible affliction and it makes otherwise good people, do things they would absolutely never do.

So over the years, this behavior only got worse. Unfortunately, from the time the original post was made in this thread, to when I stopped doing this, no one actually saw any of the art I did complete for which I was paid. For instance, I worked on Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (DS), Hotel Transylvania (DS), etc. for Wayforward, as well as the work I completed for indie developers from about 2009 to 2016. Again, I'm not excusing my behavior, only explaining the other side of the situation.

Also, there have been several claims in this thread (more recently) where people were saying that I "almost" ripped them off, then they saw this post, then decided not to work with me. I can't guarantee that I necessarily would have done the work for these folks because I've only been in recovery for a couple of years, but that doesn't mean that I would've ripped them off.

My addiction, being homeless, along with other environmental factors in my life contributed to this behavior. So. I've been in a place in my life for the past couple of years where I've been doing art, refraining from large advances, which has resulted in many happy clients. I'm not going to go looking for these people to testify to this because I don't think I'm really going to change any minds with this post anyhow. My point here is that I'm clean and I'm trying to live a virtuous life.

As part of my recovery, it is absolutely essential that I make amends with those who I've hurt while in active addiction. There are a lot of people. I don't intend to put the burden upon them to contact me, but if you see this, and I owe you money/work, please contact me so I can begin to make amends. To those who don't get a chance to see this, I'll do my best to contact them as soon as possible and start some kind of payment plan, possibly provide the graphics they originally wanted- whatever I can do within my current means.

Look, the bottom line here is that, yes, I took advantage of people. The addiction thing is no excuse but is damn sure a reason. Whether I intended to rip anyone off or not, really is irrelevant. It happened. I am willing to right these wrongs. I don't have much money, but I can work something out with the people who have been affected by my unprofessional work ethic.

Also, I started going by Robinson (I was born "Joshua Robinson". I was then adopted by the guy who abused me with the surname "Astorian" when I was 8. He ended up leaving and I was stuck with his name) for the most part, to evade this negative feedback I'd brought upon myself. I didn't make up a name so I could "rip off" more people. Again, it was never my intention to do that. I was born Robinson and would've changed my name back anyhow. So that's that.

I don't really expect anyone to understand how being homeless and addicted to heroin/opiates could make a good person do this, but I at least had to ATTEMPT to explain the reality of the situation.

To "janedoe": You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Almost everything you wrote in your post you made up aside from me having a criminal history. A criminal history tends to go hand-in-hand with serious drug addiction. I'm sure you were angry when you posted that but there's no need to make stuff up. I'd say all the LEGITIMATE negative attention I've brought upon myself is good enough to make it so I cannot find work anymore.

Thanks.

Again, Please PM me if I owe you or someone you know money/work.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: May 23, 2017, 09:17:45 pm
So sorry to hear that joshua, sounds like a rough life.
Glad you're getting better, and you're being honest about this.
I hope things turn out well for you and your previous clients!

Best of luck

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #88 on: May 24, 2017, 05:20:28 am
I'm new here and don't know you, but I second the above poster. It's good to see you making an effort to make good on yourself like that. Good luck to you, and keep fighting that addiction. Opiods suck.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: May 30, 2017, 07:28:06 pm
Why is "rip off" in quotes when that's absolutely what you've been doing for the past ten years? Also rubs me the wrong way that you're calling people out for saying that you almost ripped them off, considering your track record. Please. I've seen threads online where you got pissed at people for calling you out for your bullshit, only to predictably dissappear when they said "fine, give me a refund or my work then please." Give us a break. Addiction or not, you're still completely responsible for your actions.

That said, i really do hope you get everything straightened out and make good on your mistakes. Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:15:41 pm by jams0988 »

Offline Chadfahlman

• View Profile

Reply #90 on: June 01, 2017, 07:32:55 am
Hey guys,
Mr. Robinson recently completed work for me. The final product was professional and delivered faster than expected. He accommodated my preferred payment method. Please note that I offered to pay up front.

For the record, I would work with Joshua again. He is proudly listed as a contributor on my project's official website. The only reason I'm reading this thread is because I couldn't remember his portfolio url, which I intended to link to, and googled his full name.

A+ work!

Chad Fahlman
Blind Samurai (Google Play)
www.blindsamuraigame.com
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:21:06 pm by Chadfahlman »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #91 on: June 02, 2017, 04:55:27 am
I'm glad that you're making such efforts to come clean, both with yourself as well as with the community.  I'm rooting for you man, and still consider you a friend despite our lives having lead down such different roads.  Good luck.

Offline Temper Tony

• View Profile

Reply #92 on: September 20, 2017, 01:41:46 pm
Sigh* This guy just recently scammed me out of $100 and did not deliver anything. He showed a few examples and modifications of a template that I sent him and they were all horrible.

I did a google search and found this post. I am completely devastated that I lost my hard earned money just like that to this fraud.

I met this guy on pixel joint. He had messaged me after seeing my posting. I thought his resume looked awesome so I decided to go with him. He asked if I could pay 50 up front so he could get started and then he showed a crappy half assed example to me then asked for another $50 because he had things to get done and that it would help him alot.

Offline Absolute8

• makbadgam
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/21175.htm
    • barryburce
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: September 20, 2017, 05:43:01 pm
Sigh* This guy just recently scammed me out of $100 and did not deliver anything. He showed a few examples and modifications of a template that I sent him and they were all horrible.

I did a google search and found this post. I am completely devastated that I lost my hard earned money just like that to this fraud.

I met this guy on pixel joint. He had messaged me after seeing my posting. I thought his resume looked awesome so I decided to go with him. He asked if I could pay 50 up front so he could get started and then he showed a crappy half assed example to me then asked for another $50 because he had things to get done and that it would help him alot.

This is rough.

I feel there is a need to start a thread involving business literacy for individuals in our community. These sort of things happen way too often and can often be the case of misunderstanding and bad management of money and time.

Offline Astro

• View Profile

Reply #94 on: September 21, 2017, 12:38:03 am
HI! JOSH ASTORIAN HERE.

Ok, so I figured something like this would happen now that I'm clean and attempting to rebuild my reputation. TonyTemper: You made your post entirely prematurely. Just to be perfectly clear, I already have work I've done for him, and I'm not finished. We just began speaking a few days ago. I've been in constant contact with him.

I'm going to finish his 'edits' then I will post the conversation and the work.

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:51:32 am by Astro »

Offline mexdev

• View Profile

Reply #95 on: September 21, 2017, 01:32:17 am
To the petition of Mr. Robinson I'll share some bullet points about my professional experience with him so far.

- Out of 3 hired, paid up front pixel artists, one of them delivered a very subpar end product based on a previous prototype model made by Mr. Robinson and the other didn't even deliver anything at all, Mr. Robinson was the only one who delivered a satisfactory end product.

- So far he has delivered every single commission for me

- He does several revisions until I'm satisfied with the end product

- He's really open to suggestions and creative ideas, something really difficult to find in an artist with actual talent

- Really easy to have a casual conversation with, this may seem like an irrelevant point, but believe me, freelancers who get out of their way to know more about the client's project, the client himself/herself and share some extra information about them tells you that they're genuinely interested into the project and they're not just after a paycheck.

- He's capable to deliver impressive sprite work with an unlimited palette, but his abilities shine even more when I imposed him a limited 4 color palette for the sprites.

- The animation is really smooth for all his end products delivered so far, is so good that I'm wondering why don't he just opens up a youtube channel, makes some mainstream fan animation clips and see Patreon money coming in

After working for years with freelancers, I'll say this

300 USD may sound like a huge budget, enough for getting whatever you commission to the freelancer to look exactly like you're envisioning it in your head; but the truth is that this amount barely covers minimum wage for a week Monday through Friday and we all know that artistic work needs a lot of concentration and the artist will need breaks from time to time not only physically but also mentally; an artist doesn't read your mind, so if the first draft doesn't look like what you were expecting you need to sit down with them and point out what's need to be fixed, you may have paid money for this job but truth is that you'll have to work a little bit too.

Saying "I like your portfolio, here's 50 bucks, make me a sprite and make sure it looks cool! You'll have it in two days tops right?" Simply won't do

Those are my two cents, best regards
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:36:18 am by mexdev »

Offline Astro

• View Profile

Reply #96 on: September 22, 2017, 02:36:21 am
Thanks for your comments, Mario.

So I was commissioned by TonyTemper (Tony Nieh) to improve the run down, run up, and run sideways animations outlined in this image, provided by Tony:

Here are my attempts to improve something I was told I could only very subtly change (as seen in the transcript if one were to take the time to read it):

Skype Transcript: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-odScmTHsRJT3l1RERFY0pTS2M/view?usp=sharing

He was dissatisfied with the services he paid for. I'd consider working with him further, if he hadn't have blasted me on here before even giving me a chance to do anymore work. I didn't rip this gentleman off.

I need to make this perfectly clear. I made mistakes in the past. I don't blame it on my drug problem at the time but it damn sure didn't help it. I have 2 positive reviews in this thread since I've changed my life around and they will only continue. I did what I did then, but I'm doing what I'm doing now, entirely differently.

Thanks.

Joshua Astorian/Robinson

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:42:12 am by Astro »

Offline Temper Tony

• View Profile

Reply #97 on: September 23, 2017, 07:34:38 am
I was going to cut my losses and forget about even dealing with it but now that I've read these last two posts, I am enraged by the audacity you have. Since you want to antagonize me for being victimized by you, I will not hold my tongue.

This was the original that was already done before I met this fellow:

and this is his work:

If you read the transcript, I talk to him about this. I told him to just fix the arms because they were not smooth in the original sheet that I sent him. He failed to even do that.

If you check out his portfolio you would EASILY see that this work that he did does not come close to anything on that portfolio. Mind you, this was the first and last update from day one of talking to him, no work has been sent since.
http://jrobportfolio.com

It's been 5+ days since he has sent me any improvements or updates, or the final product. His last reply was this which was 3 days ago:
http://i66.tinypic.com/11t53e0.png

The fact of the matter is, if you don't think you can DO THE JOB that was asked for with the price that was listed, do NOT take the job. It's the fact that you took my money and did not do anything in return or offer a refund. That is as good as being robbed in which you did to not only me but to many other people. There is an extreme pattern here from pixeljoint.com and to here in this community, and honestly you are just as good as a con artist. I feel ashamed for trusting someone I didn't know and because of that I will have an even harder time reaching my goals and providing for my family.

We had an agreement that you took on and said you could improve, that was NO improvement, NO EFFORT to improve, a week has gone by, you rushed the entire payment but did not deliver. I can't believe people like you exist. I was too kind and too trusting, sending you the payment without receiving any type of satsifactory product because "it would help" you.

Here is the WHOLE transcript:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1gg63mcVrumM3ZJbXRMdkw5R2c

Also, I want to go the extra mile and disable you from doing this to anyone in the future so I will definitely look into any legal action I can take and seeing if I can round up statements and petitions from people you've done this to because it's a damn shame and I would not want anyone else to experience this. Simply unbelievable.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:07:04 pm by Temper Tony »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #98 on: September 29, 2017, 01:11:47 am
Couple thoughts here...

It's totally understandable that with such an extensively documented poor history that one will find very little patience or benefit of the doubt from employers.  That's just something you have to deal with now, Josh, if you plan to make this situation better.  You have no room to mess up at all.  You MUST deliver on time, you MUST remain in contact, and you MUST deliver good work.  I am extremely disappointed that you've chosen to still request up-front payment.  If you simply upheld one rule for yourself, to not take upfront payment, you would avoid anyone calling you a scam artist in the future, even if you failed to deliver the work.

That said, I do find it interesting that this has only transpired over the past 10 days and there hasn't been much personal communication between you two before resorting to this public discussion here.  It's a short enough time that it's reasonable to still hope work to be delivered under normal circumstances.  I'm not saying that anyone owe's him that by any stretch of the imagination, but it's interesting to me none the less.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:17:14 am by Indigo »

Offline mexdev

• View Profile

Reply #99 on: November 21, 2017, 04:28:29 pm
Hi there, I would like to provide a quick update about Mr. Joshua, as I said before he delivered what he promised last time

This time around I commissioned him a character design, he requested me to pay him via paypal as a gift, I'm aware that by doing that there's no buyer protection by paypal, but since up to this point I trust Mr. Joshua I decided to do it

I haven't heard of him since the payment was made, he was replying relatively quick while we were discussing the payment, but as soon as I send him the money, the replies stop being frequent, no sketches or anything delivered up to this point

I'm still hoping to hear from you soon Joshua, don't let me down