AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling (updated rules)  (Read 115227 times)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling (updated rules)

Reply #40 on: February 09, 2006, 07:49:26 pm

Love it, Taka! I'm a big fan of the chibi fighter style. One suggestion though, maybe get rid of the selctive outline where his hat connects to the forehead and replace with a light AA.

Really like your ISO version, too, Faceless. It feels like the ISO with the most personality so far and 'm impressed by how you fit the grimace in.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #41 on: February 09, 2006, 11:23:57 pm
done :)

and just one thing, botkai is a planometric perspective, isometrics ugllier cousin... its really amazing how well botkai made planometric look
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 12:14:18 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #42 on: February 10, 2006, 05:52:47 pm
That's interesting, I didn't know there was a term for it. I love planometric - it has the depth of iso without any loss of floor space or any floor distortion. Have any other games used it?

- Adam

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #43 on: February 10, 2006, 10:01:37 pm
Boktai is the 45-degree angle (axonometric or however it's spelled). Planometric is the mix of 60 and 30 degrees, which I can say is a really big pain when making tiles 'cause nothing lines up very well on a grid without excessive planning and thought xD

I don't think I've personally seen any other games using the 45-degree style but more of them would be cooler! Most seem to just use the standard isometric since it's a lot easier to tile.
-----
Schu

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #44 on: February 11, 2006, 12:21:59 am
Although we use the term in game-making, isometric games are also axonometric. Just different axones :) Never heard of Planometric though, but I'll take schu's word.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #46 on: February 11, 2006, 05:04:32 am
Oh Adam. About the whole rules thing, honestly I never thought I was interpreting the rules, just doing research, you never specified do boktai style like THIS screenshot. you said Boktai, I looked up boktai and I said what I saw here.

I...dont know anyone else, but sometimes I think a little more precision or...rather restriction from the get go would be good, I tend to analyze everything and well...end up doing things like this :p

Ok this is the aproach I had with these.

when I looked up Popeye sketchs I saw 2 ways I could take this, a faithful to design and proportions somewhat tridimensionalized version OR a sprite that tries to be as inky as the sketches, but changes all the proportions while keeping the likeness

This is the "tridimensonalized" edition, in 48x48 32x32 16x16

Inky Ver, I sorta raymanized 'ol popeye here.

Boktai
  Adult, Cooking up child right now kay, that is it.

BTW, for creative enterprises like this, I belive one always does better with as varied refferences as one can get so...I thought I'd show this to u guys, even though it's a bit off Boktai style because it is a megaman char in Boktai http://www.megaman-sprites.com/sprites/Classic/boktai2/

Adam......I dont know exactly what you have in mind when you say pixel skill...do you expect certain elements like Selout when you say that?

MY GOD SCHU, leave something for everyone else to do , really really impressive freestyle, I feel like redoing my stuff after that monster you put there, but I've really got a lot of stuff to do

Faceless, I love how tridimensional your Boktai Popeye feels, that sort of perspective is really hard to do, I think sometimes even the Boktai spriters cant handle it, but you have it spot on
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 02:07:12 am by Camus »

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 11, 2006, 05:50:18 am
so. im confused.

on your first post it says
1. Make a usable sprite of Popeye.

You do mean as if he was being put into a game right? I chose the style, stance, etc, as if he was standing in his idle as if he was in a platformer. However, there are some others that get me to thinking, were we able to just free style it however, without having to make it as if it were in a game?

secondly.
do you want the child, or adult boktai??
I just want to double check, before time runs out. I pulled the sprite from your screenshot, and used that as reference.

sorry for the questions. just want to double check this all before the time runs out, and i find out that i did it wrong.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #48 on: February 11, 2006, 06:12:01 am
oh my god.......I apologize...I was going to go again interpreting the rules for flaber here....but I think I would just make it worse  ::)

I'm just gonna quote the part of the rules that just wouldnt be there whitout my butting in c.c just in case flabs here missed it :p

6) What do you mean by Boktai size & perspective? There are a lot of different sprites in Boktai. Intepret that as you want. You are only limited to the rules and words I've posted in this contest, however I chose the Boktai pic above based on how it typifies that style and size, so your chances will be better if the sprite is similar to that specific sprite in style, size and perspective.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #49 on: February 11, 2006, 06:38:06 am
Boktai is the 45-degree angle (axonometric or however it's spelled). Planometric is the mix of 60 and 30 degrees, which I can say is a really big pain when making tiles 'cause nothing lines up very well on a grid without excessive planning and thought xD

I don't think I've personally seen any other games using the 45-degree style but more of them would be cooler! Most seem to just use the standard isometric since it's a lot easier to tile.
-----
Schu
Ive always been taught

and it looks like the link faceless provided says the same thing
Life without knowledge is death in disguise