AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling (updated rules)  (Read 115194 times)

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Re: WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling (updated rules)

Reply #60 on: February 14, 2006, 10:17:46 pm
Howdy folks, I haven't been around in a while. In any case great contest thus far. Here are my entries:

Freestyle sprite against different color backgrounds.

EDIT 2/16/06: I refined my freestyle sprite somewhat; added a bit more definition
and detail to the arms and pipe. The changes make for a stronger "contender" I
believe.

EDIT 2/23/06: Freestyle...now with tatoo...

Boktai sprite against different color backgrounds.

And since practically everyone's done one, Popeye Boktai sprite "in game"

And a few WIP freestyle sprites in a slightly 'cleaner style'

Should be done with the second set of sprites before the deadline...
Time constraints won't allow for the completion of these WIPs, so just omit them
from consideration.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:13:39 pm by xegnma »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #61 on: February 15, 2006, 12:29:49 am
I really don't get why you people selout with black.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: February 15, 2006, 07:05:58 pm
Although I don't stand a chance against most of the submissions, I couldn't miss such a great contest :)

So, here is my freestyle...

...a tiny one (I hope he's recognisable)...

...and the Boktai-style one...

I think I might do some more, but I'm not sure :-\

I feel like leaving some C&C so, here goes:

@istvan: I like the simplicity of your free-style sprite, although he looks a bit gay to me (no offense). I'm still waiting for your new Boktai sprite ;)

@Alex: You got some nice ones there, in a cool style. Your first Boktai one didn't seem to be in an 'idle pose', it looked more that he was jumping, but your second one has an awsome style (it's one of my Boktai favourites).

@vierbit: Welcome to Pixelopolis ;D those are realy good! I think the colour choices are amazing, and you Boktai sprite is, in my opinion, the best of all! I'm hoping to see more works from you soon ;)

@Captain Blood: You're 'Wolverine' at Pixel Joint, right? I realy love your work :D anyway, your sprite is amazing, those vivid colours simply fit perfectly the personality you showed in a very well pixeled pose! I'm still waiting for your Boktai one, which I'm sure will also be great!

@PyroPiranha: Your style is pretty nice but I think you should clean those edges...maybe using a lighter colour on the selout would help.

@Schu: I simply love yor freestyle Popeye! <3 You were able to pixel his personality so well and in a very clean style...it's defenitely my favourite of them all! The only thing that bugs me is your Boktai one...the prespective is correct but those legs and feet are so wrong! I don't know what to say in order to improve them but they look awfuly wrong to me :-\

@Panda: Your sprites are lovely, I feel like looking at them for the whole day! Probably because the colours are so sweet...anyway, the pose is very good, gives the feeling that Popeye's ready for a fight, and that mean look would surely intimidate most of his enemies :D very good transposition of the characther's personality! The Boktai one is also nice, although I like the earlier face a lot more (the one on the first Boktai sprite).

@Akira: Yours are very good, as I expected. The freestyle is realy neat, but the Boktai ones look a bit weird...I'd suggest you to change the shape of the head, making the chin longer and maybe the cap a little bigger. Or just keep them like that, your style is realy cool (cool but weird, in a good way) :D

@Faceless: The cartoony style works very well in the Boktai one, and in the freestyle as well, but this last one (freestyle) should be more dynamic. Schu's one is a very good example of dynamism, you might want to take a closer look to it :)

@.TakaM: Your boktai one works nicely on the screen and it has a cool pose as well, but I think you should lighten the selout (eg.: on the pants, change black to a dark blue). It was very nice to see a feestile one that wasn't made for a sidescroller/platform game. Maybe Popeye's expression should a little meaner, if you get my point ;)

I wish screenshots of other characters of the game hadn't been posted or suggested, as it would have simplified everything.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb. If you wish, I might remove the screenshot...if you want that just tell me...

Well, I shall leave some more C&C later, since my computer juast started to freak out and I need to take a shower... c ya!

EDIT: Ready for another round of C&C?

@Camus: Well...I'm speechless. I was already expecting something truly original from you, but I wasn't prepared for something like this...those warm tones are very nice to watch, but I doubt a game would be this saturated (since Adam said the usability of the sprite will count alot, I think you should've done in a more convencional way...but I may wrong). I like the 'inky-raymanized' version alot more: it hasn't got the same impact the others do, but it has a nice, cartoony feel that I enjoy alot. On the Boktai ones, the kid looks better, to me, than the adult, since it has few outlines. Get rid of those black lines and I'm almost sure they'll look much better!

@xegnma: well, that's the kind of posing I wish I had achieved! Your Boktai sprite is especially dynamic, one of the best of all!

And that's it! I'm sorry for not having commented on everybody's sprites but this takes alot of time...

EDIT: Here is another freestyle, made using the "juice" base I just created:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:22:51 pm by Filax_666 »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #63 on: February 15, 2006, 08:29:21 pm

Personally, because that's what boktai does.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: February 15, 2006, 09:08:56 pm

Personally, because that's what boktai does.

I'm seeing black outlines, not black sel-out?

Offline Toby

• View Profile
    • SKEZblog

Reply #65 on: February 15, 2006, 10:28:48 pm
Woah, people are really making some awesome interpretations here :) I hardly stand a chance, but you can't win if you don't give it a shot..

Here's the piece 1, a pretty typical pose for a platformer kinda sprite.

I'll be upbading the boktai-version as soon as I get it done..

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: February 16, 2006, 07:54:24 pm
Made a few changes to my freestyle sprite...just letting y'all know :)

Offline God Slayer

• No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. No one.
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: February 16, 2006, 09:20:16 pm
Howdy folks, I haven't been around in a while. In any case great contest thus far. Here are my entries:

Freestyle sprite against different color backgrounds.

EDIT 2/16/06: I refined my freestyle sprite somewhat; added a bit more definition
and detail to the arms and pipe. The changes make for a stronger "contender" I
believe.

Boktai sprite against different color backgrounds.

And since practically everyone's done one, Popeye Boktai sprite "in game"

And a few WIP freestyle sprites in a slightly 'cleaner style'

Should be done with the second set of sprites before the deadline...
Time constraints won't allow for the completion of these WIPs, so just omit them
from consideration.

Just wanted to note: Thats pretty godly, IMO. Loving the dynamic sprite.

Also: Camus, whats with your constant drama? You alsways seem to be in some 'issue'

Offline Toby

• View Profile
    • SKEZblog

Reply #68 on: February 16, 2006, 10:15:20 pm
Sorry to be a whiner, but could you please extend the deadline by a few weeks? I haven't started with the boktai-sprite yet and I'm leaving for a holiday on saturday and have no time to start working on the sprite at this moment. And I really would like to compete..

-- this possible?

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #69 on: February 16, 2006, 10:36:19 pm
Great entries so far. Here are mine.

Tried a more cel-shaded approach inspired by the Cartoons. Beat em' up esque type idle pose.

I tried to stick with the style, colors, perspective and overall format of the boktai game sprites.

Edit:

Minor Enlargement and proportional adjustments!

Edit again:

Changed legs abit and misc.

Last one!:

Color adjustment and misc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:52:55 am by Omenith »