AuthorTopic: My first Pixel Art, EVER!  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Coconut

• Pixel by Pixel
    • View Profile

My first Pixel Art, EVER!

on: March 15, 2009, 11:38:10 pm
Hey guys.
I just joined pixelation, after reading a lot of your posts that helped me understanding the concept of pixel art.
This was done on MS Paint. I work on Photoshop for normal art, but pixel lines and etc won't stay anything decent in this software (It might just be my problem, wrong resolution or something).
Since i am 15 Years old, my 1st ever Video Game Console was a Gameboy, the Black&White version  :crazy:.

->                                             
Please tell me what you think, what can i improve on it, if you approve or disprove  ;D
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:33:12 pm by LetalPixel »
Formerly known as LetalPixel.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: My first Pixel Art, EVER!

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:02:39 am
Hello there, welcome to Pixelation, hope you enjoy your visit here and I'm hoping I can help you out in one way or another, you seem to be new at not only pixel art but the art field in general, so bare with me while I critique your piece.

Alright, it doesn't seem like you've used any reference, if you don't know how something looks, remember: its okay to look up reference.Another thing I want to note is that make sure you define your light source and I'm not sure what else to say on the subject, I hope the edit speaks for itself.

As for your photoshop problem, change it to the pencil icon by right-clicking on the brush and go to eraser and change it to block, this way you can work with pixel pieces on photoshop, though I think theres much more you should do before that, I have some suggestions for you, links follow:
Andrew Loomis Books
Andrew Loomis' "Fun With A Pencil" is what I suggest you download first, his books are great for beginners.*
A lot of useful links and tips on art
Lots of links on where to get more tutorials, reference, basically anything art-related.
So You Want To Be A Pixel Artist?
This will help you get started on pixel art, this guys very good at pixel pushing and his tutorial is great, I used it too when I was starting out.
Ten Minute Drawing Techniques
A lot of good art tutorials on youtube.
Alright man, I hope I've helped you, enjoy your stay here and have fun pixel pushing!

*I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put thise link up, they're just e-books but yeah.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:47:46 am by bengoshia »

Offline Coconut

• Pixel by Pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:00:25 am
Thanks for the help.
I still have that Resolution on problem on Photoshop, the lines just stay all blurry.
Next time ill try to use a reference, now that i seen it... it really doesn't look very simillar.

Thanks for all of the links you sent me, ill update my gameboy as soon as i get home.
Ill add some more light and 3D into into, using the reference you just gave me.
Thank you ;D

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 05:18:21 pm
Might as well post this:

It's an edit off of bengoshia's great edit, I though it could use some uncluttering.  His(?) was well executed, but IMHO trying to fit in every little detail at this size is not very economical.

That's all, keep pushing!
Shrike

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:18:32 pm
this thread may interest ya, lol shrike you had a similar approach back then too is what reminded me.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5886.msg69285#msg69285

(for the love of god don't bump it)  >:(
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:25:19 pm
Might as well post this:

It's an edit off of bengoshia's great edit, I though it could use some uncluttering.  His(?) was well executed, but IMHO trying to fit in every little detail at this size is not very economical.

That's all, keep pushing!
Shrike
Just to note, on the bottom right, there is still a little bend that takes place, thanks for fixing my piece up a bit either way though, I was pretty tired when I made it. Thats an odd photoshop problem you have, don't know how to fix it.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:26:49 pm
If it was a resolution problem it would affect paint too, would it not? Since this is your first pixel art and everything I have to consider that maybe you're not using the pencil tool once in photoshop?

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:51:29 pm
what I took from bengoshia's edit is, you may be using a resolution that's hard to apply with the specific level of detail you've included: to fix this you could add a bunch of details, like bengo has, but possibly it loses some of the chunky appeal it has, in the process. So what I'd suggest is lowering the resolution, like:

here I've roughly halved the size, and continued from there.

...dpad is hard to do at this size, though. maybe somewhere inbetween would be better.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:53:09 pm by tocky »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 03:31:37 pm
this thread may interest ya, lol shrike you had a similar approach back then too is what reminded me.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5886.msg69285#msg69285

(for the love of god don't bump it)  >:(

hahahahaha :D ;) :) :o :-X
I think that was my first critque.  hehe
I have gotten better since then, right?   :'(  'Similar Approach' scares me.  I hope I'm sort of good now   :y: :crazy:
Kind of funny how almost a year later I'm still drawing gameboys
anyways
I hope LetalPixel will come back.  I'd love to see some more progress!

Offline Coconut

• Pixel by Pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:06:11 pm
Done and done, after spending some time reading tutorials about shading and colouring, i decided to start using some type of "gradient" in each pixel, depending on the light position.
This is the outcome! I really think it turned out great for a 1st work!

, then i made it working with a game (not animated yet) .
I might animate it, since its going to be my first work on my portfolio :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:44:40 pm by LetalPixel »