AuthorTopic: Not so Cheesy Mockup [WIP]  (Read 9718 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Cheese Factory Redo Mockup [WIP]

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 05:28:37 pm
Your subterranean mockup uses really nice colors/lighting. One unusual thing I like about it is the subtle slant to the terrain/bg, it creates a dynamic sorta compelling sense of motion, I can't quite describe the effect.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was going for, actually!

Small update:

I decided this tileset could potentially be used in one of my projects; a platformer I started fiddling around with a long time ago (that's what sprite is from).

I swear I'll start cleaning it up soon!  ;)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Not so Cheesy Mockup [WIP]

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 06:35:58 pm
That was intentional eh, well now that's design then! Do you think that walking left and walking right would feel differently?

So, are you re-purposing this tileset to no longer be made of cheese? Mushroom doodads are a nice touch.

The ganja-smoking zombie demolishes that over-sized pumpkin, although it's contrast against environment is a bit much (I know you just threw it in there from another project, but I have to crit what I see). On that subject, I'd like for the walkable ground to stand out more from the rest of the terrain. Kinda like Big Brother did with his set he's been working on here - it's clearly evident what's walkable. It's just that the "cross-section" art fades too well into it. I think this issue is partially subjective. But, as is, it's not like I'm struggling to know I'd be able to walk or anything.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 07:17:25 pm
yeah i agree uber cool zombie, but may be a tad too lit for being in a cave n all. A really quick tone down and palette tinker.

Think this is looking great, heading for a real nice mockup here.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 07:18:10 pm
i admit that your mockup came out so well and i was kinda afraid that i couldn't hire you for the level design ^^;

excepted for that, the green guy remind me one of character from the good old game called "oddworld : the odyssey of abe" ^^

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 02:22:08 pm
@Terley: thanks a lot! That's pretty much exactly what the sprite needs, I agree. I played a little bit with the palette in this update. I'm using a global 256 colour palette, so I really need to sit down and tweak to get it looking right. I think I've moved it in the right direction, though.

That was intentional eh, well now that's design then! Do you think that walking left and walking right would feel differently?
Yeah I'd say so. With any luck it will make the player feel uncomfortable moving to the left. I like doing that.  :)

So, are you re-purposing this tileset to no longer be made of cheese? Mushroom doodads are a nice touch.
As mentioned earlier, I'm basically going with `porous rocks' now, instead of cheese cave.

The ganja-smoking zombie demolishes that over-sized pumpkin, although it's contrast against environment is a bit much (I know you just threw it in there from another project, but I have to crit what I see).
He is forever held dear to me under that title, now  :lol:. No, that's a fair observation. To be honest, I was pretty tired when I was putting that update together, and thought to myself it was a bit over the top, but I decided to see what others thought.

On that subject, I'd like for the walkable ground to stand out more from the rest of the terrain. Kinda like Big Brother did with his set he's been working on here - it's clearly evident what's walkable. It's just that the "cross-section" art fades too well into it. I think this issue is partially subjective. But, as is, it's not like I'm struggling to know I'd be able to walk or anything.
Yes, I think that will be something I'll look at as I refine the tiles into actual...tiles. At this part of the game the player actually gains the ability to walk on the ceiling, so I'll really have to come at the ceiling with a different approach, probably utilising the green ambient lighting to push that surface.

i admit that your mockup came out so well and i was kinda afraid that i couldn't hire you for the level design ^^;

excepted for that, the green guy remind me one of character from the good old game called "oddworld : the odyssey of abe" ^^
Thanks :). Yeah I basically couldn't stop thinking about Abe as I fitfully tried to make an interesting character. My friend calls this game `Abe's Odyssey: The College Years' (further drug references  :lol:).

Trust me, I'm too spasmodic to work for anyone!  :crazy:

Another small update, starting a little of the clean up, toned down the darkness of the foreground, tweaked character brightness:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 02:38:50 pm
great stuff!!

i'd suggest removing the mirrored tiles around the pool of water.

other than that, polish this shit up!!

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 06:05:49 pm

Thanks :). Yeah I basically couldn't stop thinking about Abe as I fitfully tried to make an interesting character. My friend calls this game `Abe's Odyssey: The College Years' (further drug references  :lol:).

Trust me, I'm too spasmodic to work for anyone!  :crazy:

Another small update, starting a little of the clean up, toned down the darkness of the foreground, tweaked character brightness:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z212/gastrop0d/rand_mock_2_1.png

*poulp face* i'm not sure to understand what you mean ? forgive me because i'm from france ^^;

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 09:59:40 pm
This is looking great EyeCraft, I love the tiles and the character. Will you be turning this into something playable? From what I remember of TE2 you've definitely got what it takes.  ;)

I second Feron about the mirrored tiles, also since this is a direct side view I would maybe consider having a single pixel top surface to the water, doesn't have to be too bright. I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress.