AuthorTopic: Ramblethread! A brainstorm approaches!  (Read 231530 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Ramblethread! A brainstorm approaches!

Reply #70 on: April 17, 2009, 12:46:20 am
Yeah that's great. Only think I'd ask for is some formatting at the top like contents you know and the hyperlinks just targetting at the html height where the paragraph starts. Do that and I promise (if you send me the whole site on a zip) to proofread it, expand it a bit and fix a few pending gaps of knowledge here and there.

Then I can put it somewhere on Pixelation.com or locustleaves.com

I really appreciate it, Mustard.

I appreciate you, Mustard. You're delicious. If mild.

Let me touch you, Colonel.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: April 17, 2009, 12:54:23 am
Here's the whole thing: http://www.pixel.schlet.net/pkr.zip

The html isn't that clean, I just pasted it straight into Dreamweaver to keep the original formatting. The content links at the top is done with <a name="C1">Chapter name[/url] so you can link to it later with just <a href="#C1">Link< /a>. Dreamweaver creates alot of paragraph elements by default, but it looks okay so I didn't see any real reason to mess with it. Some of the styling is inline, some is done with style.css.

And, I don't let anyone touch the Colonel :(

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #72 on: April 17, 2009, 04:21:21 am
the defining characteristics of a cluster of pixels on the morphological level, obfuscation, sine arch (especially given context of first image!), semiotic, semiotic, semiotic...

Banana taste good to monkey, but monkey like less banana peel. Difficult to peel when made for monkeys with big nails. This monkey lost nails scratching cave pictures. Then rock fall on head.

I had to google definitions. Eesh. I need to read more books. Until I skipped ahead to find the first image of the chap on the toilet was actually a joke, my head was exploding trying to spot what 'must' be there. I can definitely see the sailboat though.

It was very, VERY helpful to read it as one coherent piece on the website, however. And to take it slow reading it. Thank you. I've been struggling with banding and the theory was appreciated. I'm especially looking forward to dithering as texturing - I've been hunting information on that for a couple years now!

Maybe a link to the website could be put in the first post.

IDEA! Rock peel good! Monkey eat more banana now. Nyum nyum nyum.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:24:59 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #73 on: April 17, 2009, 11:38:02 am
The monkey stuff was hilarious.

I'll write more, I PROMISE. In the next couple of days.

Mustard, it's good that you don't let just anyone touch the Colonel. I'll work for your affection, I will. You'll see  :ouch:

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #74 on: April 17, 2009, 02:04:17 pm
Hrm, even when I asked you for a link to a section of the tut I hadnt read the thing as a whole.

I think it's great, very necesary and way overdue what you're doing in terms of demystification here. The whole pixel cluster thing fits well with my conception of pixels too.

One thing that bothered me though, is how you establish that there's NOTHING MORE to dithering than what you say, You can make good use of arranging the dots to create subjective dotted lines to guide the eye.  I have seen how some people overstimate it and may make pieces only centred on overdithering for the hell of it, but just dismissing the posibility seems a bit much, atleast you could indicate there's more posibilities to try out.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! :o I'm just now reading the beggining of the damn thing...and you bastard! I remember when I posted that exact same triangle linking it from somewhere, and I remember clearly that you said it was a faulty way to make a dinstinction between types of art because abstract could be equated with symbolism!  :lol:

Also, I would consider myself to be somewhere towards the right wing of that triangle, and I feel the need to add it's not just nostalgia at work here. Much of what motivates me is how the viewer's imagination and interpretation is involved in low res. I love how when you're animating a face in low res there MUST exagerated changes in the character's features, forcing the viewer to piece together all the information conveyed trough subpixel animation.
Take the purposedfully limited res as an equivalent of anime's purposedfully limited frame count, it's for an effect not for nostalgia.

Let me insist on the wiki thing,this should be awiki if a limited acces wiki at that. We could even just have an official website form of it, and have a wiki infrastructure behind that can be edited and is only 'dumped' to website form when consensus is reached on an article. !yus!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:28:37 pm by Conceit »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #75 on: April 17, 2009, 02:35:00 pm
My biggest problem with all that is not that I don't want my text to be altered (actually I'd welcome it, this is why I posted here anyway) but that I don't have the time or inclination to do daily work on maintaining the wiki factual and to my agreement (if it has my name on it I have to agree with it, right?). So instead I simply urge other people to engage in dialogue over the points of the text and I will change it accordingly whenever I revisit it (like I will about your point on dithering). Other people should definitely write more theory texts on pixels anyway, this really isn't an end-all-be-all.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #76 on: April 17, 2009, 03:43:47 pm
Cool, I get it  :mean:...I didnt realize this was getting your name on it, just saw it as more of a community thing. :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #77 on: April 17, 2009, 03:51:40 pm
I wrote the thing, shouldn't I put my name on it?

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #78 on: April 17, 2009, 04:42:50 pm
Monkey snort banana out nose at that. Funny people.

I expect it's not too difficult to set up a theory/tutorial board with posts such as these locked up nice and safe. I too think a wikipedia is a massive undertaking, disappears too easily, and would much rather that time be spent explaining WIPs, theory, etc. Once there's a critical mass of information it could always be formatted into a main page by someone with too much time on their hand, anyway.

I'll write more, I PROMISE. In the next couple of days.

Helm, I'm concerned for your safety. I've heard wonderful pixel artists promise to explain any part of the mystery that is dithering for textures, but they have always DISAPPEARED shortly thereafter. I didn't even find any banana peels as evidence of foul play. They would just silently poof - and they were gone. It frightens me to think the same fate might befall you. If strange things start to happen around you, please let us know so we can have at least some proof to better forewarn the next prospective victim.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:44:54 pm by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: April 17, 2009, 09:48:48 pm
Well, only reason I suggested a wiki is for the easy ways of modifying the content, but for that you could go with a modified wordpress as well. But if you're not afraid of getting knee deep into some HTML it doesn't really matter.