AuthorTopic: Scanner owners I need advice!  (Read 3410 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Scanner owners I need advice!

on: July 10, 2011, 05:30:27 am
Hey there!

So I'm doing some shopping and finally decided to try and look for a scanner to buy. So I've settled on a Hand-Held scanner as the best option for me. I was wanting to know from you guys, is what do you use and what has worked out best for you. I thought it'd be best to ask the experts so what do you guys reccommend?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Re: Scanner owners I need advice!

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:24:54 am
Wife almost bought me one of those handheld scanners but we decided against it since the flatbed scanner that is attached to the printer that I have that only cost me $45 3 years ago works perfectly. I hear the handheld scanners (the scanning 'wands' is what I'm referring to, if that's the handheld type you mean) have mixed results.  Some working great for certain situations, others working really poorly in other situations. Just do research on whatever you buy before you buy it at places where users submit reviews just to give you a glimpse at problems or successes you might find in products once you narrow down your decision.  Even if I'm buying something in person at an electronic store in my city, I like to check Newegg.com to see what people reported about the device before finalizing my decision when it's a big-ish technology purchase.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:40:39 pm
I love my all-in-one Canon desktop scanner/printer. One keystroke in Photoshop and it scans the glass, image pops up in a file. Very fast. Very nice. But it sounds like you need something more mobile? Don't know anything about hand-helds.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:24:44 pm
I imagine he wants a hand-held one so he can scan paper larger than 8x11? I was always curious about that, I couldn't even scan my sketch book with my scanner.

It surprises me to find that standalone scanners cost more than all-in-one printers. A lot more. I could probably run up to the store and buy an all-in-one for $40-$50... but the cheapest stand-alone scanner I could find was this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838111056 which I ended up buying.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:59:58 pm
Sure, there's replies. After I decide on what to buy. -.-

Anyways.

@Argyle: Yep, that's what I was looking at. I looked at dozens and dozens of reviews on them and they all seemed nothing but good. There were a few poor ratings here or there but they explained it as not working. So I looked at the reviews from amazon and one guy, an artist, who tried to use it gave it a real negative review. And that's what I'd use it for. Scanning in 8x11s. But someone posted a counter argument just a little bit ago and said he had no trouble with it. I checked newegg.com for it but sadly they didn't have a review. Even though it was introduced last year. But if I do have trouble that just means I'll have to return it, and deal with customer service again, which, I've not been too pleased with lately. But yeah, thanks for the tips. :)

@Mathias: Yeah, I was looking at something mobile. .

@Dusty: Yeah, I'm going to try to do that. My dad has an all in one but it's upstairs and he uses it for office use. And I draw in the middle of the night too so, yeah. That flatbed though, looks nice. But I don't think I have the space for something like that.

Thanks guys!