AuthorTopic: Feature 07 - Savage World (artistic nudity)  (Read 124101 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Savage World (artistic nudity)

Reply #60 on: March 03, 2009, 06:07:16 pm
well I'd be suprised if anyone here is such a bird expert, I've found an interesting video on youtube with some good slow motion side angles of birds with explainations to how their designs differ. May help there's a great slo mo shot of a bird from 3:26 then a duck right after. Though eagles differ they're wings all the same should help for the angles you're going for, though I personally think it'd be nice to see the back wing for sense sake, otherwise you'd only ever see the one wing and it may just look a bit weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HCnhT7qoLs

(whats with the blatent connection to allah in this video? Utter nonsense.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:08:58 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #61 on: March 03, 2009, 09:26:53 pm
Yeah, that reference pic has the eagle aimed about 30 degrees toward the camera. I would say that a sidescroller probably fakes an angle closer to 10-15 degrees with some parts extending beyond that for clarity and aesthetics. Also, sidescrollers seem to rotate the view to be a little bit overhead. Thus you can see things like the top of the ground and the opposite side of different objects and entities.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 02:24:46 am
Very minor note: I see you have two variations of your "0" listed with all the other digits. I think the second one makes a lot more sense! Use it!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 06:25:39 am
I personally like the one he is using atm in the top right more.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 06:23:21 pm
Wow, lots of good feedback. I made a slight change to the HUD and modified the eagle. I'm working on the tiles now, too, so hopefully the next update will be something good. I did indeed use that eagle photo as reference (I believe buloght posted it in this thread earlier as a recommendation). Don't worry, though, I've fixed the wing and spiced the colors up a bit. I chose the "0" in the upper-right of the mockup because it can't be confused for a "6", like the other "0" can. Stay tuned!

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 12:04:03 am

Ok, here's what I have... getting sick of working on this at the moment.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 04:51:50 am
The new tiles look possibly awesome. The edges of the cliff cut off a bit abruptly, making it look like a cardboard cutout. I'd use a bit more dark shades on the edges to convey the fact that it has volume. It's hard to explain, I might edit later (just woke up).

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 04:59:32 am
Yeah, those tiles are pretty sweet. I feel like there isn't too much depth to the actual cliffs, even though there is much depth to any individual rock. Some variations in lightness and darkness between the rocks would help. Especially the areas below the top of it. Not only do they all register at the same depth, they also have this finely chiseled edge along the side. While the heads are meant to portray the depth that the rest of the cliff is lacking, I feel that they only help to exemplify it at the moment. I could actually go on for a while about this, but I'll wait to see what comes before I go any further.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 05:29:58 am
Yeah, the depth issue bugs me, too. It would help if there were sub-forms that wrap around the big forms, rather than a bunch of nonsense detail inside the big forms. I would try changing it, but I'm sick of looking at it. Artistic instinct tells me to scrap it. Going to take a break from it. Edits would be much appreciated!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 05:49:03 am
Quick paintover. Basically, none of the shapes represent any rock behind the first layer. Hence it looks like faux cardboard decor. Your game is at a slight angle, so we should be seeing a massive part of darker rock that doesn't catch light.