AuthorTopic: Feature 07 - Savage World (artistic nudity)  (Read 124068 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Savage World (artistic nudity)

Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 04:57:31 pm

I may periodically pick at the shading on the HUD, but I'm satisfied to call it "done" in a working sense. As you can see, I'm still procrastinating doing the new ground tiles. I have an idea for them that will hopefully be pretty cool.

I think that the previous hud frame for the score was better. It took up less real estate, and the countour of the woman traced/framed the score. Now I find it to be a bit much, given how much more prominent the woman is than the score itself. I think it's really nice, but you have to be a little more pragmatic when dealing with ui elements. Glancing at the score, gets my eyes to the head of the woman almost every time. Most likely because the curvature in that ui space all leads to her head. That, and/or the thin font that shares a palette with the female is just not nearly as interesting.

The health indicator, on the other hand, looks fantastic. It's elaborate, but it's concise enough that a player can quickly glance at it and get a proper idea of what's going on.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 06:58:57 pm
Absolutely marvelous colour useage on the hud pieces.

Have you ever considered writing a tutorial/a short article on how you work?

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 08:30:54 pm

Doppleganger: It's a tricky balance. I want the interface to be playable, but much more epic than pragmatic. The goal is to communicate the excess. If I put a solid backing behind the numbers, does it help their readability?

Feron and allaze-eroler: Thanks for the compliments. I honestly don't think my process differs much from that of most pixelers. The polish comes from the refining stage, which I base on look and feel. It's hard to put into words why I put one pixel here and another there.

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 01:38:08 am
If not a tutorial, then I would absolutely love to see a progress anim, as something to consider for a future piece perhaps. There's certainly interest for it!

The red backing behind the numbers works seamlessly. The HUD no longer looks unfinished in any way.
Assuming the eagle is an enemy, I can't think of a better way to communicate excess! Just imagining what would happen when you kill it brings shivers down my spine. Feathers; everywhere.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 03:23:14 am
Something has been bothering me about that eagle.

The back wing looks way out of whack.

This might be a little better.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: March 03, 2009, 03:58:13 am
I agree with EvilEye about the eagle. I think his edit addresses most of the concerns. Basically, the wings you've done are at completely different angles. I wouldn't say that EvilEye's edit is 100% accurate (sorry EvilEye), but I think that it's definitely a step in the right direction.

As for the UI, it makes a world of difference to have that background. Is there any reason you've chosen the number 7,200,000 for the score? I ask, because whenever I do a mockup I always come up with an arbitrary score that usually is in the millions with only the first two, and sometimes three, numbers being anything but 0. Perhaps it's an innate decision in all of us.

My initial reaction when I saw the new eagle was "wow! that game sure is patriotic!". I'm not suggesting to change it however, I just think that there is a lot of symbolism that comes with the bald eagle, and it's amazing how representative of America it actually is. Anyways, let's see some tiles already! I get the impression that you're dreadfully afraid of tiles, and all I can do is keep asking myself why.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #56 on: March 03, 2009, 03:06:58 pm

evileye's edit is good, but this reference looks more like the original  :huh: , (did you use this image by any chance as a reference?? as the pose is almost identical)

I think the color ramps on the eagle could be a bit more adventurous.  I also find the outlining on the underside very strong.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:09:18 pm by Feron »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #57 on: March 03, 2009, 03:21:36 pm
The reference is is a different angle than a sideways perspective game would probably work with though, which is their point.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #58 on: March 03, 2009, 04:55:34 pm
Well then the far wing wouldn't really be visible at all...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #59 on: March 03, 2009, 05:43:57 pm
If he were going for 100% sideways frame yeah. But he's not, I... think.