AuthorTopic: GR#014 - Tobe's Vertical Adventure - Sideview Game Art  (Read 53196 times)

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

GR#014 - Tobe's Vertical Adventure - Sideview Game Art

on: January 04, 2009, 07:19:05 pm
08 Jan Update
I know what you're thinking... it's along the line of "WTF IS THIS THREAD DOING HERE AGAIN".
But believe me, it's gonna worthwhile this time... because the Tobe Vertical Adventure is now live, on XBLIG

Like I said before, this is where the project started, so there's no reason why you guys should not be informed, despite the fact that nobody ever buys a XBLIG, lol.
But seriously, after this long, I'm glad I've completed the game - full pixel art ... well, except for the cutscenes.

Enough of talk, here some giant screen shot (available only here on pixelation :)

We've received complains about the lack of thumbstick support, and has plans to fix that. But I hope you guys still get to try and give the game a shot.
You can download the demo / purchase it from the link here...
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585503f5/

Or visit our website here...
http://tobesadventure.squarespace.com/
We gonna have quite some stuff on the net which I presume would be interesting for artist especially. Here's a sneak peep...

Ultimately, if you like it, do drop us a message because it keeps us a live.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21Nov Update
The game is finally done after so long! It is currently sent for review on XNA club, and we're expecting to release sometime in Decemeber. You can read more about the game at http://tobesadventure.squarespace.com/ or see page 2 of this thread for some brief update.

3rd Oct Update
Hi again! So I've been MIA for a while now, working hard to finish the game. We're almost there. And here's a actual screenshot and in-game clip
Screenshot

Video(I was using a crappy screen capturing software, so the framerate seems pretty bad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMf8rrw2sD4&feature=player_profilepage

Also, I've decided to take down some of the later level images, so not to spoil the fun for whoever gonna play :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So... here's a quick and dirty teaser I put up together for the game...
It doesn't really say anything... just fancy visual put together like you seen here... except that... they now moves.
But yea, do check

http://www.youtube.com/user/rayteoactive#play/all/uploads-all/0/QvTIc2xw6sU

Somebody's in a working mood... Updates!

Here's another world, another theme. Obviously, this Ice zone is sort of a direct contrast from the pyramid.
The layout of the platform is kinda messy in comparison. But I like how each tile looks. My main concern here is probably the limited colors. What do you think? too dull?

Horay~! More Updates!

Here's an updated version of the original level. The background was given more saturation, and there's more "black" then wall now, to keep consistency with the desert/pyramid level. Also, I finally remove all the white line from the character, added monsters etc.

One thing I need special attention with... the holes in the far background... they're empty. Is it bad? I was hoping to leave it as it is due to the time constrain, but just in case I manage to finish things earlier then I can, any idea what I can do with it? Or perhaps I should remove it once and for all?

Character Update (5July)

Tested the sprite for player2, Nana. Oh, and I've decided to drop the white line. I hope it's not the wrong move though :(

Level Update (3July)

Hi guys, here's some minor updates.

1) slightly desaturated the sand fall (if that's what it's called)
2) some tiles with hieroglyphics
3) better spikes... or needles
4) included lady Nana (changed the outfit for readability... which still don't look fantastic)

I might not work on the pillar though, since I have to hurry and move on to the next level.
As for the white outline, it's a real pain. There seems to be more negative then positive comments about it, but I can't seems to get the character to stand out without it.

Oh, and lastly, the veins are meant to be interactive - hence the outline :)

Level Update 2 (2july)
I took more time to finally finish up the level. I think it looks better now... though the "Egyptian" theme still didn't seems as strong, but I guess it's passable. What do you guys think?

Level Update (2July)
Hi guys, I'm finally working on VA again. I started working on the mock up of a new level, this time with a Egypt / pyramid theme.
I realized a few element changed throughout the process, as I find it hard to implement the original  style (like the repeated pattern BG) to suit the different theme of the levels.

I'm working with many reference too, but I still feel very much block as in the element to build up the mood and theme. If anyone have anything cool in mind I should take a look at, please advise.

Animation Update (15 May)
I've left the project for quite a while(working on some vector-base games instead).
The game is ongoing, working out on the game design, and the programmers have started with place holder for now.

Anyway, for some reason, the programmers needed the wall climb animation 1st, so I had to start working it on. This is my 1st attempt on animation, so serious C&C is much appreciated. I took a whole day long working on this as I was drawing in PS, bring it over to Flash for viewing, and back and forth. All that, and the fact that climbing animation lacks of reference didn't help... But I did found 2 awesome thread here.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6653.0
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4427.0
Grateful to the comments inside  :D

Btw, I do realize the animation looks.....robotic and lifeless. I do wish to redo it again when I have the time. :blind:

Small updates again

I did some messing around with the character outline and the design... sort of a cat ear and a blue/yellow raccoon tail. I'm kinda lost here, so some opinion on this will be very helpful.

As for the background, I mange to create some cave holes (not sure what you call that), anyway the pattern on the wall makes this extremely difficult for my level, I have to ignore the tilings. I need some suggestion though... should I..
1) leave it empty?
2) add another layer like I did for the center hole or
3) add something going on in the far

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATES!!!
Finally found time for this. It's still WIP, but I think I manage to establish the rough look and feel.

A few more things to do from here...
1) I still need to add more variety of items, objects and traps(like the spike and stuff).
2) need to make a 3rd layer of background
3) some cute monster
4) the user interface
5) Player 2 -"Nana" a tribute character to ice climber and nanakostudio(Annabelle Kennedy)
I'm pretty sure I missed something else. Do fill me in.

Anyway, I changed the character to something more colorful... and even gave him a "sticker look". What do you call that anyway. I tried everything to make him stand out but failed, so I gave up... sigh. But hey, it's still sweet in a way and it serve it's purpose. I'm also looking at giving the character something more significant to make him more then just any guy... maybe a fox ear or a monkey tail. Fashion accessory are way too common. What do you guys think? I will be posting some of the character sketches soon, so you guys can help judge. The sketches are here. Just scroll ;)

And before I forget and get ban, I took reference from sonic for that waterfall. I thought it was beautiful and couldn't bear not having something similar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I'm working on a new game mock up screen-shot.
(it's late, so I'll fill in the game design description next time around)

The visuals are inspired by Cave story and Underside, but using much bigger sprite (the character is 32 x 32, I think).
Anyway, I created the character first, so I guess he turns out a little too flat in comparison to the background. I'm hoping to make him stand out more, but I refuse to add dark outline, so to maintain the intended art direction. Any suggestion?

As for the background, the character is actually inside a cave. In this case, I didn't want the rocky tiles to looks like real rocks. Instead, I go for more graphical representation... which I think I've got it right. but not entirely sure either.

Also, I'm still working on the platform tiles. I've placed them below the character art. Do let me know which is better.

I like what I have at the moment, but I guess it's still early to tell... something do feel amiss though.

Btw, the game is plan for X-box live arcade, which I'm absolutely unaware of any restriction. Any information on this, I will be very grateful. Curently, I'm working without any color / grid restriction. But I find it a pain without the restriction. Colors combination tends to get too much to control, and without the grid, the workload just keeps expanding. I'm looking at sticking to a system color palette... probably GBA, since it looks like the most colorful palette at the moment. Or should it be NDS?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:08:43 pm by Cyangmou »

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Re: [W.I.P] Vertical Adventure - Platformer mock up

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:43:33 pm
Personally given that you don't have much restriction, i do believe that you can probably add 2-3 colours to the character since as it is right now, it looks very flat compared to the very beautiful backgrounds.  Everything looks adorable so far imo.

Offline Hydronium

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:25:44 am
It looks nice so far - do the different kinds of rock tile do anything different?

I'd suggest adding more detail to the character, especially to his hair. If the the back of his head is has defined locks of hair, I think the front should too. He blends in a little with the background, especially the orange one. Maybe a lighter shade of blonde will be in order?

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:07:12 pm
A small update on the character - I flush up the hues and add just a bit more details (hair glow and stuff). I think it looks much better, though I'm not sure if it's good enough. The other 2 in the front was just messing around, lol.

Anyway, the multiple tiles and background were just different tryout. My preference at the moment would the the blue background (top left) and probably mix around for the land tiles.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:33:38 pm
I dont see why you can't use all the tiles and all the backgrounds you created. they would definitly add loads of variation.

as for the character, maybe a bit more contrast to have him stand out.

why do you call this vertical adventure? is it just the projects name or do you mean like A vertical scroll adventure game or something like that?

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:48:01 pm
Well, you're half right on the title. The images right now doesn't show anything about the game, but it's really a platformer that requires the player to travel down, then up again.

As for the contrast issue, I felt the latest update was good enough... but I guess I can give it another shot.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:24:11 pm
The old hair colours were much much better.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:13:11 pm
The main character is quite cute, reminds me more of keneth fejer than cavestory though.
What I donīt like about him is his angry emotion. Any reason for that?

And no, your background donīt resemble a cave at all, even if you go for more abstract visuals.
Maybe draw a few tiles with cracks in it. And also the background needs something different than a bunch of squares.

Oh, I donīt think xbox live has any real restrictions, atleast not for "simple" 2d graphics.

keep it up.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 11:43:09 am
I dont mean to say the character doesnt have contrast. What I mean is that the background really is juicy and colorfull and I sort of wish that the character was also as contrasting and eyegrabing as the background. but also I should consider your color choices.

I just ment to say that the background is really catchy. so catchy that its competing with the character for attention. maybe if its moving it wont happen as much

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 07:27:57 am
I just ment to say that the background is really catchy. so catchy that its competing with the character for attention. maybe if its moving it wont happen as much

Yea, I get what you mean. I did the mistake of creating the character 1st. But when I started working on the background, the background turns out much better then intended. Now the character just looks pale in comparison. I have been messing around with it for hours, but nothing good came out of it.

The main character is quite cute, reminds me more of keneth fejer than cavestory though.
What I donīt like about him is his angry emotion. Any reason for that?

And no, your background donīt resemble a cave at all, even if you go for more abstract visuals.
Maybe draw a few tiles with cracks in it. And also the background needs something different than a bunch of squares.

I'm surprise! I was refering to Keneth Fejer at a point of time... but largely, I was also inspired by the art of nanakostudio. As for the background, though I mentioned I was inspired by cave story, I did not want to create something that is just my edit of cave story. I looked and studied and grab what I believe was useful and work on it as my own. Pretty much the same for the character.

lastly, I did some alteration with the hair color as an tryout, but I'll post them later for a bigger update.