AuthorTopic: Possible activity discussion.  (Read 154263 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Possible activity discussion.

Reply #70 on: February 03, 2009, 08:19:05 pm
I sure hope not. I figured maybe it could be something as simple as a set of mockups showcasing different areas or maybe a whole level. When I said teams I figured that redesigning a whole game would be too much work to ask of one person and would be unreasonable. Anything to do with coding or even the requirement of Game Maker doesn't sound like a good idea to me. The whole purpose would be to recognize the traits of a given game that makes it stand out and translate them into another genre while keeping likeness but innovating given the different play mechanics. Not to actually produce games.

Or wait maybe I misunderstand and the whole game maker thing was talking about something else entirely. :? There's already a competition going on to replace simple game graphics. http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7810.0

I'd really like to see the genre swap activity go on some time.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #71 on: February 03, 2009, 10:35:35 pm
Well we could always work on the same game with the entire community :O There's no problem in that really; and I can still offer my game-maker ability to make it interactive and more motivating for anyone participating. (Warning, any outcome would be windows PCs only, although it is vista compatible).

And since when did game maker come in as a requirement? It's just that it's more motivating and more fun to see an actual outcome that is more than visual. That simply means that it is a challenge and activity to translate a game in genre A in genre B graphically, and as an extra treat I can offer applying it and posting .exe demos of the pixelart in use. Anyone participating then also may have some cool portfolio item involving massive teamwork, and more than static art :P

So yeah, I guess you misinterpretated it Atnas - and any idea that involves making graphics for a game could work with my idea here :P

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: February 03, 2009, 11:49:33 pm
That doesn't sound too bad. :) I was talking about Gil's idea, though. He said he didn't want to spend much time on it, and I wondered why we'd spend any time on it at all if a playable version did nothing more than what could be conveyed with mockups. I think if we were to do this it would be better to convert an rpg or overhead action game to platformer. (for obvious reasons, the side view is much easier in my opinion and more people have experience with that kind of sprite.)

I would personally like to see Final Fantasy I translated into a platformer. I don't like Final Fantasy all that much as a series but I think FFI did a good job because it didn't beat you over the head with directions or make you listen to windy speeches and didn't have set in stone characters. Basically it just set you down in the world with a party of your choosing and said 'get the crystalslol'. It has some okay designs, pretty plain but they work. Dragon Warrior was also okay.

The game doesn't have to be ancient but I uhh haven't played that many games in a while. Anyone else have any games they would like to see genre swapped? And if it really isn't a good idea we could always just design something original but I thought things would go more smoothly if it was a genre swap.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:52:14 pm by Atnas »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: February 04, 2009, 08:03:26 am
He said he didn't want to spend much time on it, and I wondered why we'd spend any time on it at all if a playable version did nothing more than what could be conveyed with mockups.

My thoughts exactly. Seeing everything in movement has its satisfaction though.
But if an activity was to be made, it'd be awesome if it was something proper.

Anyone else have any games they would like to see genre swapped?

Uhm, let's see:
- Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior)
- Pokémon
- Mr. Driller (though I guess if it was made into a platformer, it would be similar to Drill Dozer)

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: February 04, 2009, 10:09:41 am
- Blaster Master. I'd turn it into a full MMO strategy game.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: February 04, 2009, 12:35:28 pm
Just wanting to notify you that there's a bunch of 3D games around begging to become 2D! :D
Think about metroid prime as an RPG :O Or halo 2 as a platformer maintaining the multiplayer mission mode and huge ass boss fights :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:39:03 pm by TrevoriuS »

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #76 on: February 04, 2009, 12:49:31 pm
PONG MMORPG

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #77 on: February 04, 2009, 03:59:56 pm
I understand that it needs to be a more complete game if we're going to do the "make graphics for a game" challenge. I was simply offering art in motion though, so if we need more than that to make that particular challenge work, I suggest we look for some other programmer interested, since I really can't free the time to do a game engine, even basic, just for the sake of a challenge.

Maybe we should look into getting help from GDR or Game Maker community. A crossover collab could be tons of fun. I'm sure that the Ludum Dare folks would be up for something like this too, since they are used to making a quick, fun game under a time limit.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #78 on: February 04, 2009, 07:18:53 pm
Maybe we should look into getting help from GDR or Game Maker community.
Picke me, pick me =')

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile

Reply #79 on: February 04, 2009, 07:55:55 pm
i'd say lets make a one level, 2 player SHMUP action platform puzzle where everyone makes a 64x64 sprite~tile. where characters get shuffled from being the hero to enemies. something like what happens on ROM CHECK but less random. it could even host a versus  functionality.