AuthorTopic: Possible activity discussion.  (Read 154260 times)

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Re: Possible activity discussion.

Reply #110 on: September 18, 2009, 07:06:29 pm
Here's an idea for an activity. A while back helm posted on his blog a lengthy spiel
about EGA graphics of games long past (see link here).
What I found intriguing about the post is that he took a non-too-appealing image
and revised it within the constraints of the original palette to create a great piece of art.

Throughout his discussion of the piece he expounded on his interpretation of the original piece
and how it shaped his version. Great though the art was I found myself in disagreement with
the interpretation. I looked at the original and I couldn't quite find the discontent evident in
his version. The thought occurred to me that no two people would supply the same interpretation
and wouldn't be cool to see these interpretations in the form of a pixelation activity?

So here's the activity : Select a piece of pixel art and have participants in the activity revamp
the piece maintaining the original palette, supplying the rationale for your interpretation of the
original piece.

We could kick this off with versions of the "Codename: iceman" snapshot from Helm's blog post.
We could call it, REVAMP ACTIVITY: "VISIONS OF MANDY"...

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #111 on: September 18, 2009, 07:17:50 pm
cool idea, but then id want an image that really enables you to be creative, because otherwise the entries will all be the same. Don't forget that also the entries will highly influence each other.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #112 on: September 19, 2009, 03:07:15 am
I actually really like your idea. It would surely be interesting to see two different takes on the same piece!

It would also be creative to make it so two entrants get the same image and compare their interpretations of the same original. I think it'd be quite fun to do, but if it would work, I'm not sure. Still, good idea. :)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #113 on: September 19, 2009, 09:09:01 am
We could have a big quiz: Per image there are 5 participants, they all 5 make an image based on that ugly original one, the 5 are posted together and we have to guess who made which ;)

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #114 on: September 23, 2009, 02:56:44 pm
I'd like to know if there will ever be another I Spy challenge. :crazy:

In other news, I'm back after a long time of forgetting about this site. To those of you that may remember me, I'm sorry I was so immature. :-[ I swear, I'm not a child anymore.  :(

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #115 on: October 07, 2009, 05:37:41 am
I was staring at a sketch of a robot I drew last night that looks like it could have been an exclamation point... ! (watching to much venture brother's lately I guess) and I suddenly pictured him rolling out on his little wheel at the end of a sentence and stopping, sucking in his arms and actually becoming an exclamation point...

Ok... so here is my idea for a pixel challenge... everyone could animate their names! And I mean like each letter comes out individually or all at once, not just moving text. Like someone could make each letter a robot that comes into the picture and stops to form a name, animals that are shaped like letters... etc.

Now that I actually read it it sounds crazy lol.... seemed much more doable in my head :P

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #116 on: October 17, 2009, 01:28:23 am
you know the classic repeating background you see in low budget cartoons n stuff... well, what about a collab where we all take part in adding to the background making on giant seemless one! it would be a nice change of pace from the iso and hex form were all used to and would be simple enough to pull off... we could call it: "Where the sidewalk ends" in honor of shel silverstein!

<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #117 on: October 21, 2009, 12:32:44 am
How about something similar to this?
little circles or X's on white background, and users can paint anything using it, without moving it or erasing it. 
http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/05/06/school-of-art-and-design-creativity-test/

;D

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #118 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05:27 am
How about something similar to this?
little circles or X's on white background, and users can paint anything using it, without moving it or erasing it.  
http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/05/06/school-of-art-and-design-creativity-test/

;D

Hmmm, interesting idea. I'd forgotten about that concept. I remember activities like that in school.

Don't miss this development.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:37:36 am by Mathias »

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #119 on: December 07, 2009, 11:23:54 pm
I think we should consider having a competition for a mockup off "Zelda; A link to the past", but for the 2nd version (if there would have been one on the super nintendo entertainment system). If you get what I mean.
My pixeled 2D MMORPG: https://discord.gg/TmHHJkG