AuthorTopic: Possible activity discussion.  (Read 154256 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Possible activity discussion.

Reply #160 on: March 22, 2013, 09:52:47 am
This tool is pretty amazing.  Every refresh, with the right settings, seems to have at least one sprite that could actually pass as if it was drawn with total intention.  Nice work!

You should make it 'randomly' spit out actual mario sprites for april fools.   :lol:

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #161 on: March 22, 2013, 01:02:23 pm
I like a lot what it generates with the default settings except scale2x. For larger sizes like 32x32, it would benefit from a setting that gives a chance for a pixel to get the same color as a contiguous neighbor, it would help create vertical and horizontal lines, as well as solid areas.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Possible activity "Season Kombat"

Reply #162 on: March 27, 2013, 01:16:42 pm
Given the winter/spring tussle we've been observing here in north-west Europe, I'd suggest a mockup compo on the theme "Season Kombat". Fighters VS screens, fatalities, fighting poses.

Get wild.

(apologies for the low-quality of brain-to-web bandwidth)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:44:21 am by PypeBros »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #163 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:56 am
Pypebros:  :lol: it's been practically strobing snow/sun over here, I guess there's a limited shelf life there though? Some kind of zombie/T-1000 snowman situation is pretty amusing though, might sketch.

Surt's random gen thing is pretty darn sweet and seems popular to boot, I'd love to see a challenge done with it. It isn't obvious what that challenge would be though, ideas on that front would be great. I'm thinking something like everyone choosing and posting a random sheet and then having to incorporate a number of raw sprites (plus new 'uns) into a themed mockup. Might be fun to extend that spirit of randomised and emergent work into the challenge proper, thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:36:55 pm by Facet »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Possible activity Season Kombat

Reply #164 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:03 am
I'm thinking something like everyone choosing and posting a random sheet and then having to incorporate a number of raw tiles (plus new 'uns) into a themed mockup. Might be fun to extend that spirit of randomised and emergent work into the challenge proper, thoughts?
You mean like "Season Kombat" meeting Surt's random generator ?

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #165 on: March 28, 2013, 10:35:37 pm
Yeah! The generator is great, but I think introducing a theme like that might spark some really interesting stuff in adapting the generated sprites to purpose.

Or maybe super-sizing one and rendering it out, as envisioned here? I'm jus' spitballin' here, don't want the tool to get forgotten about for lack of application.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #166 on: March 30, 2013, 06:15:41 am
Aha ... it's a theme that you want. So how about this:

(edit: new backstory in development)

The SURT virus affects both structural libraries and active processes on the system.
- Some of the 16x16 tiles (data blocks) that are the building bricks of the environment are corrupted (i.e. merged with a tile gathered from a randomly-generated sheeet)
- depict at least two "monitoring bots" (typically multi-sprites) with parts being replaced by some derivative of the generated sheet)
- include at leas two "completely randomized" process, that are made only of SURT sprites derivative
- pick two sprites and turn them into larger (background?) structure.

How to proceed:
-  Generate a sheet, select your mandatory tiles (4 blocks, 2+2 sprites and 2 larger structures), post them on the board unmodified.
- Follow the GBA constraints: 555RGB colors, 4 planes + sprites, 15+alpha colors per sprite and per 8x8 tile, 16 tiles palette and 16 sprite palettes at most.
- an entry is a 256x192 mock-up with revised versions of your mandatory tiles. The shape of the tiles must be identifiable and may not have been altered. You're free to colour them as seen fit
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:18:31 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #167 on: March 31, 2013, 08:52:58 pm
hm, I think creating assets for any personal project (even non-profit) isn't really in the spirit of the 'official' challenges here, there's a lot of folk who would want to be able to have a whole community of artists for visual development on their work.

That said, the idea is sweet and the generator a great match for it; why not start a personal thread as a break from Bilou and have folk chip in with ideas as per usual?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #168 on: April 02, 2013, 12:39:47 am
I dig the idea of supersizing the sprite. I think the sprites can be inspiration enough, we could give a screenshot size and a sprite size, and then allow anybody to contextualize the game as a shmup / topdown rpg / scroller / fighter or whatever they feel their sprite fits the most.

PypeBros: I dont mind the idea of using the assets here for a game, and I dont know anybody else but personally for me to think of contributing anything I think it would have to be a community game, the protagonist being a "winner" among all the adaptations of surt's generated sprites or something like that. a Pixelation project not a PypeBros one. (Although that whole community sourced development method hasnt turned out so well for TIGsource's Indie Brawl and Balding's Quest)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:28:26 am by Conceit »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #169 on: April 02, 2013, 04:38:03 pm
PypeBros: I dont mind the idea of using the assets here for a game, and I dont know anybody else but personally for me to think of contributing anything I think it would have to be a community game, the protagonist being a "winner" among all the adaptations of surt's generated sprites or something like that.
Yep, that would make sense. I'll draw back the "biokid-related" parts and propose a seed point that would use a more generic character for which I won't mind handing over the IP.

I'll post an update of the proposal ASAP.