AuthorTopic: THE MUSCLE BABY THREAD  (Read 52673 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: THE MUSCLE BABY THREAD

Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 08:44:03 pm
Yeah I found myself giggling at my screen making mine quite a bit.  :crazy:

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 01:04:07 am
These probably count here.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 02:44:47 am
I don't know what the hell that was, Helm, but I can't stop laughing long enough to read any text in the vicinity of that... thing.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 10:33:10 pm
Thank you Helm and Lackey for the compliments.  :)

Today I got home from school and felt the urge to do rpg graphics. I decided the first thing I'd make was a character template to set the scale for everything else and give me a base to easily change jobs.

Now, I wouldn't call it a musclebaby, but it's definitely a baby! I was going for a cute and maybe even cuddly look. I think that's what many people want when they do these. They know that all that will be showing is the big pleading eyes and that everything else will be covered by belts and zippers with spikes of hair poking out. But then when they get to the body, it shifts to anatomy practice. It won't show anyway, so what would it hurt to practice a little?

Well, it only took me a few minutes to draw a few blobs, clean them, mirror, and choose colors. It was amazingly efficient. I'm used to over complicating things and then simplifying, not the other way around. I think muscle babies may be one of the reasons nine out of ten rpgs never make it off the ground. People spend all the time on these unnecessary muscles and lose interest in the game itself. (Or the artist gets fed up with spending so much time on the project and leaves the moment it's done, as was the case in the job I outlined in my first post. It's self inflicted torment, really. Unless you've already had lots of pixel experience, which most rpg spriters haven't had.)

Oh well, that's just one theory.

DISCUSS:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 10:50:20 pm
Yeah I was going to post to tell Skeddles about this thread but I also wanted to give him hefty critique so it didn't sound like 'lol, you're making a musclebaby'. Why I really want to avoid because ridicule is awful and not the point of the thread. But it is a valid concern stylistically to mix a semi-realistic body with a huge symbolic head and people making that sort of art just because other people make similar art to it should be more informed about how it reads to other people.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 11:34:12 pm
I'm actually intrigued by how skinny Skeddles' template is, when almost all the others are hulks. Sure, it has definition, but it's also incredibly lanky. I was wondering if, beside the mixing of anime with realism, if something that wasn't necessarily muscled was still considered a musclebaby. Where is the line drawn?

To tell the truth, the lankybaby's body is actually very close to the type of definition you'd see in an anime - but it has a chibi head. Is something considered a musclebaby as long as the head and body are far enough apart stylistically, or are they independent of each other?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 11:37:05 pm
For me as long as the face connotes 'baby innocence' and a few muscle groups are defined, it's a musclebaby.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 04:12:49 pm

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 05:57:21 pm
I tried making a 'muscle baby', but I think I may have done something wrong:

Offline straypixels

• SHAZAM!
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 05:58:06 pm
LOL! I've been indoctrinated into the musclebaby thread lol. Thanks for the link, Conceit.

I suppose it wasn't really intention to make a musclebaby, but I kid you not, my wife walked up to me last night and said "Why does it look like a baby."

I'm uh... I'm gonna be making some changes to fix that lol

Although I have to admit, I may not stick to this size. I was starting to consider how HAYOOOOGE some of the assets in the game were going to have to be to be scale to this bugger... just not worth it the memory constraints O_O
Straying since 1999