AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004283 times)

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #880 on: June 16, 2009, 06:28:05 pm
I figured it's about time I took a real initiative to improve my drawing skills, and I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows any good resources online or offline. My skills right now aren't completely non-existant, but I don't quite know if there's somewhere preferable I should start. I dunno, general advice always help, so if anyone got any ideas, I'm all ears.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #881 on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:30 pm
I'm not sure of your age, but to start off try "Fun With a Pencil" by Andrew Loomis. You can't find it in stores, but there's a billion people hosting it and his other books online now. FWAP is Loomis' first book and doesn't go into much detail on correct human anatomy and the stuff comes across as pretty cartoony. The point of the book is to get you thinking of the body as 3d dimensional shapes. My first time through I sort of glanced at a couple pages, drew some stuff and then headed onto the next book because it had all the anatomy stuff I wanted. I only realised recently that I really missed the point and I've since gone back to FWAP. There's probably some good info to be found in the Official Anatomy thread so have a look there if you haven't.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #882 on: June 17, 2009, 08:22:51 pm
I'm 22, I'll check out the book if I can find it. I've been trying before to study anatomy and drawing it, but I believe I could benefit more from it if I knew more "basic techniques", sorta (Guess I'm a bit afraid of starting in the wrong place). So yeah, starting from the bottom and going up. I lurk alot and read all new threads and replies, so I'm familiar with that thread, it's a good one :)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #883 on: June 18, 2009, 12:04:38 am

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #884 on: June 18, 2009, 05:50:42 pm

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #885 on: June 18, 2009, 08:46:28 pm
Going to be heading out for a while probably. I'm going to miss you guys. Keep pixelling!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #886 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:27 pm
I'm 22, I'll check out the book if I can find it. I've been trying before to study anatomy and drawing it, but I believe I could benefit more from it if I knew more "basic techniques", sorta (Guess I'm a bit afraid of starting in the wrong place). So yeah, starting from the bottom and going up. I lurk alot and read all new threads and replies, so I'm familiar with that thread, it's a good one :)
Cool, I'm the same age. I've had the same desire since last summer to really learn the basics, so I've kinda shelved the pixels and been concentrating on my pencils. The Loomis series is really great for that and I enjoy them a lot. If you aren't already checking it out, conceptart.org has a fantastic atmosphere for artists looking to improve. If you want to PM me your email I'll send you some links to art threads and articles I've found interesting. It's got some book recommendations as well.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #887 on: June 19, 2009, 07:43:46 am
http://gamu-toys.info/sonota/sw/obama/obama.html

Damnit, where's the :headexplode: smiley?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #888 on: June 19, 2009, 12:42:39 pm
:0#

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #889 on: June 19, 2009, 01:07:25 pm
http://gamu-toys.info/sonota/sw/obama/obama.html

Damnit, where's the :headexplode: smiley?

Nevermind that, where's the Dick Cheney figure with the spring-loaded gun that fires real birdshot, and the Guantanimo Bay Action Playset?
I mild from suffer dislexia.