AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004308 times)

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2300 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:39 am

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #2301 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:10 pm
I feel like I've seen that piece of Bruce Lee in PixelJoint but I can't check because it's down.  :yell:

EDIT http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/67935.htm
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:21:22 pm by leroy »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2302 on: March 16, 2012, 09:58:24 pm

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #2303 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:01 pm
Thanks! (I'm gonna stalk that guy XD, he is amazing!)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #2304 on: March 16, 2012, 10:47:26 pm
DA is holding an "8-Bit" contest for hoodie designs.
I'd probably enter but judging by the pics they posted and some of the entries so far I fear that they are after the "intentionally shitty because retro" look which is kinda sad.
Any of you want to enter?
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #2305 on: March 22, 2012, 03:36:34 pm
   Just got done reading Moby Dick. I must say, I can see how this book received such mixed reactions when it first came out. Maybe it's due to the volume of movies I've inhaled over my lifetime, as opposed to books, but I felt this story dragged far too long in it's waist.
   It felt as if the writer(Melville) had trouble deciding what type of book he was wanting this to be when starting it off, what with the silly antics between Ishmael and Queequeg, to the GIANT wad of ship and whale anatomy in the middle, and finally the mad hunt in the end. Ahab is introduced bit by bit, which kind of hurts the novel's excitement of progression, in my opinion. When I was younger, I heard so many great things about this character, and he was built so largely as some American literary icon. He is said to be completely mad with vengeance, which I could see the writer was attempting to display. However, his interaction with most Captains he came across, and his crew seemed almost sportsman-like(if whale hunting could be called this, away from it's true cruel nature) as far as the whereabouts of the White whale go during the all save the last chapters. There is only 1 or 2 chapters truly dedicated to him in the middle of the book, and rest feels like Sailor ship-anatomy lessons 101.
   So much description goes into every minute detail, that I feel the writer loses himself in what was supposed to be the focal point of the story. I did enjoy the crew, however, and feel they got the brunt of it, in the end. Not that I was angry of their final fate, I just felt that their demise could've been better appreciated had the writer took the time to describe their ends sincerely, instead of mark their deaths "off-screen", so to speak. I was just so frustrated that it took so long for some excitement to reach the book, and have even more so to have it end so abruptly for a crew who were the ONLY reason to even bother with the middle of the bloated story.
   Overall, I wanted to like this, after hearing about it so often. Unfortunately, it dolled on and I can't quite say I enjoyed his Melville's descriptive nature as much as I've enjoyed Hemingway's in this field of story telling. A sad disappointment, for uneducated fool like myself. I'd give it a 2 out of 5 stars.
my back hurts...

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #2306 on: March 22, 2012, 04:44:18 pm
Good work sticking with it, even though it felt dragged out. I should, too. I haven't approached Moby Dick at all, yet. I see it's 560 pages though, so that'll have to wait for now! I have other stuff to finish off first (incidentally, Hemingways The Sun Also Rises being one!).

If you want to try another book that really drags on, try Don Quixote ;). Though that's a very "episodic" piece of literature (it's a picaresque, after all), which could serve as an excuse I guess. You could treat it as a long-running TV-series!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:49:26 pm by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #2307 on: April 02, 2012, 01:51:07 pm
Help recognize a game!!!

What IS this platformer game? I remember having played it on 286 PC in year 1990 or thereabouts. The starting area looked something like this:

The hero may or may not have had a sword in hand. And the grass was animated like that. The graphics may have been EGA or CGA. I've been wondering about this for years.. decades, in fact. There can't have been that many platformers on PC in the beginning of the 90's, but all my googling attempts have proven futile.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2308 on: April 04, 2012, 03:51:30 am
Perhaps it was just a dream.

Perhaps this is dream.

Perhaps . . . we're all just asleep, dreaming.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #2309 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:13 am
Perhaps . . . we're all just asleep, dreaming.

No we bloody well aren't.