AuthorTopic: GR#033 - Lion Warrior - Anatomy / Sprite Process  (Read 18192 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Lion Warrior

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:42:03 pm
here's a minor nitpick, but i'd suggest using less AA on the edges of the armor(where peices of the metal end) so that it looks more crisp and angular.. right now all the edges look like they've been sanded and smoothed which gives off a cutesy friendly feel to the knight. wouldn't hurt to use more angles on the knight to juxtapose the curvy hair on the lion..

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:21:31 pm
Medieval armour usually is not very angular at all tho. Actual angles would make it more instable and easier to break, rounded shapes support themselves better and make blades and such slide of easier.

I think what you got atm looks quite solid, looking forward to the colouring.

What looks a bit odd tho is the completely missing far backleg of the lion, he would have to stand VERY widelegged to pull that off and I do not think that lions do that.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 08:26:31 pm
im just suggesting how to improve the piece artistically/aesthetically speaking, not how to keep it historically true. I feel the armor is too smooth around its edges and looks more like soft metal. the shading on it is a bit soft too.. i feel it would benefit the flow and composition of the piece if you create some contrast against the lion in the form of the 'edgy-ness' to offset the softness o fthe piece..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:41:58 pm by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:00:19 pm
I do agree that the shading on it could use more contrast to look more like metal. Bigger jumps from coreshadow to light and such.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline KGladiator

• Pixelartist Apprentice
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 10:16:41 pm
Wow looks awesome... drawn or not. I agree on the contrast of the metal. The lion's head has great detail  ;D

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 01:37:06 am
update

Tried to work on the shading of the metal, as well as the shading/volumes of the lion.  Roughed-in the back leg of the lion.  A lot of the fur is still NPA scratches, will be cleaned up later.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 03:28:03 pm
Wow! This is looking fantastic.

It might just be my 2am-eyes, but the leg of the lion furthest into the background seems out of perspective or just positioned in such a way as to make the lion's stance a little weird/unstable? It feels like it should be slightly down and to the right more to me...

The way the knight's cape comes to a shallow tip on our right seems a little too chibi in my mind, as if it's a toy cape, or made of very thick material, which conflicts with the flowing nature of our left's cape tip. The right-most tip needs to be a sharper tip, or needs more of a ripple to the underside of it, or something like that.

Also, maybe the puff on the end of the lion's tail could be slightly bigger.

Still, this is awesome work!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:36:54 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 08:38:51 pm
Pretty amazing at this point, far beyond anything I could provide valid critique on. However, I did happen to notice that the bar thing in the lion's mouth is missing the reigns... might make things a tad more difficult for the knight, eh? I have to imagine that you just haven't added that part yet, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to point it out.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 12:39:11 am
Mostly changed the lion's stance, due to critique offered by Elk on the PJ thread:

I think I might've bent his right foreleg a bit much...

And I started working on the palette.  Keep in mind I colored an earlier WIP stage, so critique only on the palette for this image:

@Zero:  I did forget about the reigns for the time being, but I'll finish them later on.

@EyeCraft:  I'm not really happy with the cape as a whole.  Changed up the whole stance, so maybe the back leg is better now?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:27:11 am by Cure »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 01:12:20 am
with a palette that dark, you really should consider putting it on a more neutral background color.  It worked alright with the greyscale image because it was a lot lighter in value, but with this new palette, Its really hard to look at like this.  (works well from 50-70% black IMO)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:19:56 am by Indigo »