AuthorTopic: Read the Rules, then introduce yourself here.  (Read 364683 times)

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Re: Read the Rules, then introduce yourself here.

Reply #320 on: June 24, 2013, 08:18:36 pm
Hi,

I'm Altourus, a computer programmer from Canada that is interested in learning to do pixel art so I can create indie games without relying on CC art that tends to not mesh well with others.

Thanks,
Altourus

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #321 on: June 27, 2013, 03:46:05 pm
hey there,

My name is Johan, also known under JSL in c64-scene. Someone from Italy gave me the link to Pixelation, and adds to it that I could get help with pixeling. Alltough I do pixel since a long time on the c64. For examples, on Commodore 64 pixelworks, or even drawings, visit my dA at www.jslptv.deviantart.com and checkout my Gallery. ;)

Greets,
Johan aka JSL/role/tropyx/creators/swo magazine/sos

Welcome, jsl!
That someone was me and I'm glad you joined! Although I rarely have time to visit this wonderful place, here it's full of much more knowledgeable and skilled people who can give you tons of precious advices.
How about posting the picture you're working on at the moment and let it go through the "pixelation process" before releasing it? ;)

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #322 on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:49 am
hey Saimo and others,

Pictures which fail me, go directly on a D64 to safekeep. With these I could need help. Usually pixelweekend starts at Friday-and-Saturday, that is today.. I pixel about 4-5 new pictures, and transfer them with StarCommander, I don't like to startup this Pc for just showing a picture in progress, I pixel heaps and then is transfer. In order to get help here, I could show the failed pictures, and perhaps those get finished afterall. Currently I am working, and perhaps thats lame, on a photo from the web which I converted, from Bruce Lee. I did earlier some photo work on Marty Feldman and Laurel&Hardy on C64.

Offline SPTRLLC

• View Profile

Reply #323 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:45 pm
Hi Everyone !
First, I apologize for any grammatical/orthographic/... mistakes i will certainly make, as english is not my country's language(I'm french)

So, if you want a quick IRL presentation, I'm a 15 years old, currently in holiday. I'd say i am an average boy, videogames, friends and all that stuff, I listen mostly to hip hop, but I also like hypster-ish music(Bondax for exemple). I don't know what I should add, ask me if you want to know more !
For my "virtual life", I am interested in pixel art for many years(I think it started when I was 12 or something, my brother was making a game with RPG maker) but I never really got into it, don't know why. But  like 2 weeks ago, I had a crush on a cartoonish pixel that I can't find, and I decided to learn pixel art. I am a "semi-beginner", I know the basics like colors choosing, linearts, the things to avoid like pillow shading ect... but I haven't practiced a lot. You might wonder why I choosed an english forum instead of a french one, well there aren't really big communities and this will surely be a great way to improve my writed english ! I choosed Pixelation because I wasn't really getting a good feeling with pixeljoint's forum, don't know why, and those are the 2 pixel art forums in english that I know.
Then I guess I should talk of the other things I do on my computer. Well, I have a great one, wich allows me to play recent games. Recently I've played TF2 a lot, even though I suck at it, but like for any other things, you have to work to be better !

I am finished for my introduction, ask me if you want to know something !

Offline CytricAcid

• wait another year, utopia is here
    • cytricacid
    • cytricacid
    • View Profile

Reply #324 on: July 28, 2013, 04:43:55 pm
Hello hello! I'm Cy and I'm a 17 year old girl whose going to college for game art and design stuff.
pixel art has always been an interest for me. My friends often herald me as a master, but I believe that's only because I've been doing it a long time :P
I've stalked this forum for years every so often, and I love searching through on the theories of pixel art and banding and whatnot. the idea of Pixel Clusters is of interest to myself, as I feel that I can apply that theory to other digital art I do as well as pixel art!
I'm an artist too, of course. I've been drawing as long as I can remember and I'm well acquainted with many different mediums. my deviantart is http://cytric-acid.deviantart.com, but I don't post much art because I'm a perfectionist :U
Interest wise, I'd like to say that my 3 main interests right now are the video game series Monster Hunter, and I feel like it's probably my favorite video game series ever :P So many cool wyverns!!!
I also really love classic rock from the 60's-80's, but specifically 70's prog rock. I love bands like Supertramp, Yes, ELO, the Beatles of course, and many others. It's a rather shallow music taste, but hey, it's what I like!
Finally, I've been playing a lot of Animal Crossing. :P It's really addicting and has gotten me into practicing my pixel skills for 32x32 terrain and whatnot.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #325 on: July 29, 2013, 05:36:21 am
Hi, welcome!

If you apply cluster theory to other forms of traditional painting you will find that what you're doing is just putting down good, strong and confident brush strokes. What I mean is that the theory in trad. painting exists before we ever picked up the pixel easel and that it is us that are retrofitting their technique to our ends, not the other way around :)

Happy pixelling.

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Reply #326 on: August 13, 2013, 09:31:29 pm
Hey boys, I'm Friends Ro$$, from the friends show!
I am currently programming a little platformer game with a friend. I'm in charge of learning how to, and making the graphics for the game so you're going to be hearing a lot from me!
It'd also be sweet to meet some new people!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:58:19 pm by [Friends] Ro$$ »

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Reply #327 on: September 02, 2013, 10:12:54 am
Hello.

I am a pixel hobbyist with limited time to practice, and therefore I need to find ways to make my drawing faster. My current plan to achieve that is:

1. Draw like Google image search for "single ligt source". Highlights seem enough if done right, and if not done right it will look wrong with no matter how detailed shadows. Maybe I will need to make a compromise here and use a very dark (but still flat) version of the material color for full shadows, rather than making all full shadows the same dark color (my current intention). So that would be about 1/4 less pixels to shade. Also, with same color brightest highlights, it leaves just the midtones to worry about as far as material color is concerned.

2. Smaller sprites, like 32x32. I find those interesting, because of the challenge to simplify. More specifically, I tried to redraw, say, a Nethack ant sprite, and found that the old less detailed version was more pleasant than my new overly detailed version with fancy highlights and stuff. I mean, this version was more pleasant even when scaled to 32x32: http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/File:Giant_ant.png

In order to avoid confusion, I think it was better to have this explanation in one place which is here, rather than all over the drawing threads. Those two goals are open for discussion in the drawing threads, though.

My criticism tolerance is rather high, especially as criticism has resulted in progress in the past. I would prefer people getting their point across over trying to be polite. Real impressions is what matters.

In the past I have made a few sprites and animations for Battle for Wesnoth (http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31323), as they often have dark full shadows there.
I am considering doing sprites for a randomly generated roguelike (I don't believe in the open world hype), and that would be a lot of small sprites for dark dungeons.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:26:22 pm by Tapsu »

Offline pragma

• :D
    • View Profile

Reply #328 on: September 04, 2013, 11:38:13 am
Hello everybody, I'm Ted and I'm a programmer from Greece.

I was always interested in pixel art as a hobby. I can't say I'm much of an artist, I just like to make pixel art here and there. I discovered this forum recently when I was searching for pixel art tutorials and I can say this place has EVERYTHING I'll ever need!

I started pixel art when I was still a kid, painting pixels on a graph paper. I moved on later making animated cursors in microangelo (Does anyone remember that? Yes it was a looong time ago). I still believe it had one of the best interfaces for animation ever. I'm still searching for something similar but modern and I guess I'll settle on Graphics Gale... or who knows, I'm a programmer so I'm tempted to make my own! :)

tl;dr: nice to meet you guys!

Offline bibek

• View Profile

Reply #329 on: September 05, 2013, 02:48:51 am
hello friends.. my name is bibek and i am from kathmandu (nepal). i am very much interested in arts and crafts. i hope this forum helps in generating more ideas about it.