AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296606 times)

Offline xenobond

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #170 on: September 01, 2008, 03:14:45 pm
Aiee! As soon as I start making more pieces, I start hating the ones I made earlier.

:y: on the MoleMan. ='_'=

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #171 on: September 01, 2008, 10:58:06 pm
It's no problem if you submit later, it's not like there are prizes to be won :D
Silly me. You're right! :P
Will be posting soon.

[right here!]

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #172 on: September 02, 2008, 03:42:00 am
Made it! And with five minutes to spare before midnight! ^_^

Finally made a tile set and stage scene. It could be better, and I think I'll work on it some more and post an update later.

By the way, kickass stuff everyone. I think we have enough material to actually make a game if there was a programmer among us who'd be interested. Just a thought  ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:20:34 am by Ryona »

Offline rdcarvallo

• View Profile

Reply #173 on: September 02, 2008, 04:04:47 am
Dump of the work from this week:

BOSS:

MOCKUP:

TILESET:

Only two palettes used, so I can give more color to the stage.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #174 on: September 02, 2008, 06:42:00 am
Ryona>
I really like your mockup. It has a cool techno-feel and looks mostly consistent, which is not easy. Did you intended use the nes restrictions? If not, ignore my further techno babble.

The nes don't have any layers, thus a background like yours wouldn't work. I counted the colors of some of your tiles and on some you have 5 or even 6. For the tiles itselft you have mostly a correct amount of colors, but don't forget: Background tiles have the same restrictions as sprites. You have 3 different colors and and one color is always shared throuh all palette rows (4 rows for background tiles and 4 rows for sprites). In sprites your 4th color is always transparent, meaning, you can see the background tiles through it. The same to the background tiles. You can use 3 colors, but one color is transparent. But now you can't just add a new background with tiles. Think of a background color you paint on. Sometimes the background color can be part of your tile.. thats where you use transparency. What you have as a far away background should be one color. If you want to have such a background , then look out for the borders of your platforms where you tried to use the 4th color.
I made a small paintover to show some places where the nes restrictions were brocken. You can ignore what I did with the sprites, because I don't know how you aligned them to the 8x8 grid, but maybe they have some errors too.

Offline Delkaes

• View Profile
    • Zombie Holocaust

Reply #175 on: September 02, 2008, 07:51:29 am
update of my monkeyman boss. replaced one color, maiking him now in some armor. added an banana on helmet.

i need to redo all my mockup, it doesn't fit on megaman style, need to be more blocky and bigger tiles.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #176 on: September 02, 2008, 09:44:54 am
Ryona>
I really like your mockup. It has a cool techno-feel and looks mostly consistent, which is not easy. Did you intended use the nes restrictions? If not, ignore my further techno babble.

Ah, thank you, Rosse.  :)

I don't really know the NES restrictions, so all I attempted at doing was not use too much colors. But I guess I didn't even succeed at that. lol
Oh well. I may Have a read through the NES restrictions after all and maybe make an attempt to correct the errors.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #177 on: September 02, 2008, 03:22:36 pm
a more realistic type megaman:

lylac color represents a transparency.  1 tile overlay for the face.

would this sprite work?? i don't really know much about restrictions and that...

Offline xenobond

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #178 on: September 02, 2008, 05:14:17 pm
It could, it'd just mean that there would be less on the page for enemy or other sprites you might need. You have a block of 16x16 8 pixel blocks [128x128 pixels total] for sprite data. Data can get switched out so you can fit different enemies/boss data, but can only have that to fit things in.
Snapped this while I was playing MM5-

Offline gamingjustin

• View Profile

Reply #179 on: September 02, 2008, 06:37:39 pm
Wow, seeing all this great work might actually inspire me to try again... Lots of variety and styles, too. Also, reading up and paying more attention to restrictions really makes me appreciate the NES more.

I think it's been linked in these forums before, but there is a fanmade mock-NES version of Rockman 7. From some initial impressions I don't think it quite adheres to the NES restrictions but it definitely retains the NES feel. Also, you are free to browse all the graphics of the game, as they are (if I remember correctly) just regular image file formats. So it could be a source of extra inspiration: http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pages/13.html just hit the ver.final2 link.