AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296576 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #100 on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:54 pm
well like i said before, if its consistant then the player would become use to it and adapt their perception/comprehension.. obviously someone isnt going to instantly get it if all they've been looking at or been favoring to view is towards a different visual style. im just exploring something different i guess or something which isnt the norm.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:49:37 pm by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: August 25, 2008, 10:34:45 pm

Here's where my work is going. I have the boss sprite, 3 enemies so far and some tiles. I'm not too good at tiles, they are not very tileable, but megaman style follows that.

I'm amazed on how you guys take with the restrictions. The different styles are sweet!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #102 on: August 26, 2008, 03:01:31 am
KON: it is NOT consistant, the foreground grass tiles have none of the telltatles the dirt or metal tiles do. I'm still not sure wether they're supposed to be platforms or not...

It is good for mood to be mysterious and keep changing your communication methods, but not for clear-cut logical things such as level design.

Offline Pietepiet

• View Profile
    • Pietepiet

Reply #103 on: August 26, 2008, 06:23:54 am
Zccc: I LOVE the tiles with the honey dripping off. They look rather delicious.

I haven't been able to work on my mockup for a good while now. Some other things got in the way, unfortunately. I'll get to it again today or tomorrow.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #104 on: August 26, 2008, 07:59:50 am
I think you use your tiles too random in your mockup, alex. It looks almost like these scenes in classic games where you have destroyed a endboss and everything exploded and now you have to escape (imagine your mockup shaking on the screen with lots of small explosions and a fast alert background music). All this tiles which doesn't really fits together gives this impression to me. I tried to make a similar mockup with your tiles which I think the screen could have looked like before the explosion.

Offline Pietepiet

• View Profile
    • Pietepiet

Reply #105 on: August 26, 2008, 11:42:11 am
Update on Sneakman. Here's what I've got so far for his level:

Still very basic, I guess. Not sure about the change I made to the enemy. I'll have to mess around with it some more.

And Sneakman himself:

Offline mice

• View Profile

Reply #106 on: August 26, 2008, 12:08:27 pm
I'm with Alex on this one. The early castlevanias had some readablilty issues as well, without being frustrating. But I can't see it being a problem in Alex' mockup.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #107 on: August 26, 2008, 02:18:57 pm
KON: it is NOT consistant, the foreground grass tiles have none of the telltatles the dirt or metal tiles do.
Conceit, if all the levels would be sharing the same artistic styles and design choices, the game would feel consistant. there will always be a process the person has to go through to learn how to comprehend anything. There will always be inconsistency between the two variables making up a contrast because you need inconsistancy to make contrast. So inconsistancy itself isn't always bad or to be frowned upon. and consistancy/inconsistency itself shouldn't be the only measureing stick for anything.
I believe you're looking at it and selectively finding certain inconsistencies and responding from the standpoint that it should be just like other elements in the mockup(so that every tile looks similar and less interpretation needs to be done, or so the interpretation can be simplified into some primitive polarized way essentially dumbing down everything). Most gamers wouldn't be like "oh this tile should be more contrasty", instead they'd simply see the tile for what it is in the context it is in, and not for how contrasty it is. and thus how they choose to interpret it would be relative to the context it is represented.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #108 on: August 26, 2008, 02:42:32 pm
Kon, I understand your point of view and I agree to a degree, it's alright to train the player in something they might have taken for granted. However if you make a player try to stand on each and every one of the tiles on your level to know if they can stand or fall through them, the unnecessary deaths will make the player feel fed up and just give up on your game, see?

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #109 on: August 26, 2008, 02:46:14 pm
can you spot any tiles which a person can mis-interpret and furthur more die from in my mockup? i can't. the grass tiles are pretty clear to me that i can stand on them, and the dark grey tiles are pretty clear to me that i can walk in front of them. you dont need neon yellow caution tape on everything.