AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296568 times)

Offline mice

• View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 05:43:37 am
MtŪ: Gorgeous!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 06:00:18 am
Aaand.. the boss:

I call 'her' Snow Woman.. for now (name pending) :P

I gotta be honest, neither the sprite nor the portrait pic looks like a woman. The shape of the sprite isn't really "femme", and the face in the portrait looks rather masculine.

The levels you made though are fantastic!

And on the topic of the color restrictions and 8x8 shablangy... Do I really have to worry about that stuff? I assumed that NES sprites could have five colors because MegaMan does, so I simply went with that.

Some of us are techno-gaming-computer-programming-mumbo-jumbo-illiterate *cough*me*cough*, so if we really have to go by the restrictions, could someone explain them in plain English please?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 06:16:17 am
Megaman is made up of some blue sprites for his body and a peach+white sprite for his face.  So yeah, he does follow the hardware restrictions that were necessary for games to even run at all on the NES :P  I think snow woman does read as a woman but could also be more feminine.

As far as the uh, techno-babble, there are a lot of posts in this thread and the last mockup frenzy that break down some of the crazier parts of the NES spec, but it really isn't 100% necessary for this activity.  As long as you aren't using craploads of colors everywhere (which won't look like an NES game then anyways) it's really fine.  If you WANT to follow the spec 100%...well, do a little research :P  It's really not that complex!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 06:29:20 am
This is awesome =) I have some good ideas, and I HAVE to do something on this one...I dont wanna go for the regular robotmaster (the official ones disappoint me quite a lot, they are all old designs with one minor armor part changed)

I want to make one of those GOOFY looking robotmasters...I think they're hillarous.

Ryona...

hahah. I know what you mean with the 5 colors! I started pixeling with megaman sprites so that boogled my mind as well.

Basically, think of it like this: Normally, for nes everything can only have 3 colors per tile.

The megaman developers wanted to make megaman more realistic, they wanted to give him a face with skin color, so they wasted a 8x8 sprite there for that.

So if you want to use more than 3 skin colors, try to make it only in a 8x8 area of the sprite.

Even though I'm no expert I could try to explain the other limitations, but you have another doubt you can post it here unless you want me to give u more lip than I have to  :crazy:

EDIT: DAMN u adam Atomic  :o

and a crit for your WarpWoman Ryona...while you know how to make a curvilcious woman, you are not posing her like one, so when one reads her in real size the negative space that indicates her waist gets totally lost, because the way her arms go straight down create a sort of square that brings all the attention away from her body...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:19:53 pm by Conceit »

Offline MtŪ

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 10:56:42 am
Aaand.. the boss:

I call 'her' Snow Woman.. for now (name pending) :P

I gotta be honest, neither the sprite nor the portrait pic looks like a woman. The shape of the sprite isn't really "femme", and the face in the portrait looks rather masculine.

The levels you made though are fantastic!

Thank you Ryona, I can see what you mean and I agree with you. I tried my best to fix it and hopefully it looks better now:
Old:

New:

Better/Worse?

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 02:46:13 pm

I present you Honey Man, my first NES pixelart. I tried following the restrictions, not sure if worked. Otherwise, I don't like it, cuz' it doesn't fit Megaman   >:(

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 03:38:34 pm
Went back a step and messed around and came up with this:

Cut off the legs and made him fly instead  :D
The chest detail is a separate 8x16 sprite (I assume 8 is height and 16 width).
Anyway, he stays this way. At least for now, flicker be damned.

And here's an enemy:

A bird-bot. I'm actually not sure if I think it fits at all...

Working on the tileset. That's always the hardest part  :'(

MtŪ: The new avatar is an improvement, looks good. :)

Zccc: Looks cool, beehive stage ftw!

Btw, is the 8 sprites per scanline a finite amount restriction, meaning there can't be more than 8?
Or is it that more than 8 causes severe flickering?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:43:25 pm by Luzeke »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 04:16:38 pm
more than 8 causes severe flickering

:)

Offline rdcarvallo

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 07:09:43 pm
I know of the "no edits" rule ,but Mettols(the yellow hats) and Sniper Joes (the green men with shields) themed for the stage???

Offline Amon

• Whut?
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 09:00:05 pm
Recently got done with a dealie similar to this one.  Only it was just making the robot masters, so I've got a whole sheet of my own creation done.  Just a matter of making levels and enemies.

Sharkman!