AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 403886 times)

Offline dead_pool

• View Profile

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #170 on: April 25, 2009, 04:53:53 pm
Yes I do have a tablet, and I see what you mean with opaque thing. Simply lowering the opacity will give it a more "artist's brush look"?
"I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence and I divide them"

email me at (tim.blake.navy@gmail.com)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #171 on: April 25, 2009, 05:45:27 pm
It's not setting the brush to a lower opacity, it's turning on a setting to dynamically change the opacity based on pressure. Probably your problem is you're using an ink brush in painter, one that by default doesn't vary in its opacity. I don't have painter anymore so I can't help you...

Yes, generally even a simple round brush with opacity detection on will look more painterly, but there's also textured brushes and more abnormally shaped brushes.

On the topic of your anatomy study, the outline is well enough but a silhouette isn't everything. You'll probably find that your last one is a little cramped and serves more as a diagram rather than how a human would actually be found standing. You should try to break out of drawing that same man over and over as early as possible, because there's hardly ever a time when a figure is seen from that direct a viewpoint, and it's best not to form bad habits.

You might want to try www.posemaniacs.com for some more in depth poses. c:  if you do, don't forget to shade, as the lines aren't important, the volumes are.

Offline dead_pool

• View Profile

Reply #172 on: April 26, 2009, 02:17:43 am
Ok, I understand. About my anatomy; as since this is my very first try at every drawing a "correctly proportioned" figure, I am learning the body layout from a frontal view first, to know where key points lie on the figure. I'm following Andrew Loomis' book and by doing so, I'm drawing the male from front, and side views. Once I'm familiar with the skeleton and muscle structures, I'll draw more realistic poses. Thanks for the advice though.

EDIT: As for shading, this is probably my worst area. I need some real practice in shading. Any advice? I don't have a good knowledge of shading at all.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:53:32 pm by dead_pool »
"I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence and I divide them"

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #173 on: May 01, 2009, 01:59:16 am
Well, the general thought to keep with you is that outlines simply convey boundaries of masses and shade defines the masses. Studies are usually more successful, I've found, when I disregard using lines and instead just shade the masses, any lines that result are borders from contrast and/or edge shadows, which is realistic. When drawing the human body, you have to be careful to not just draw the outline but also use light and shadow because otherwise you won't be learning the true form of the body, and the manner you perform your studies will not permit you to reach your goal in the fullest.

There's not much advice, I simply see shading as, when monochrome, marking areas of varying intensity... You just draw what you see, and that's really all there is to it. There's no rule on how much gradation or harsh shifts should be used, you simply draw what's there. Understanding it is another thing, and requires you to observe from a multitude of perspectives and go underneath what you see on the outside, understand how it influences the end product. The goal then becomes understanding the human enough to invent and modify with ease as to not to depend on reference out of necessity, otherwise one becomes nothing more than a faulty camera...

Offline dead_pool

• View Profile

Reply #174 on: June 06, 2009, 05:39:02 am
Well I was reading Andrew Loomis' book on drawing head and hands and I decided to practice drawing heads for a while. Do these look alright?

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #175 on: June 07, 2009, 01:14:16 am
Hey have any of you heard of The Structure of Man? http://thestructureofmandvd.blogspot.com/ 

It just seems to fit in perfectly with this topic, and I couldn't just not tell you guys.  I'm halfway through the core lessons, and it's ridiculously comprehensive.  It's 8GB of lessons.  It doesn't go through the body at all of the angles, but it teaches you the proportions of everything.  I highly recommend it.  It's not worth $45.00, though.  Here is the torrent for it, if you find it interesting (let's not - mod)  Oh, and if when you download it, make sure you follow the lessons consecutively.  You will learn so much, so fast. 

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:29:08 am by Helm »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #176 on: June 07, 2009, 11:53:21 pm
I really don't think you should be posting a torrent for those videos. $45 really isn't that much, especially for something you say is "ridiculously comprehensive" that you "highly recommend." I've spent many times that on some good art books and considering how much Vilppu or other artists charge for their instructional videos, $45 is even less in comparison.

If people are trying to improve their art and cost is a concern, here are some links to free art ebooks over at conceptart.org
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131117

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #177 on: June 08, 2009, 12:37:10 am
I really don't think you should be posting a torrent for those videos. $45 really isn't that much, especially for something you say is "ridiculously comprehensive" that you "highly recommend."

I guess it's not, I'm just not in the habit of spending that much over the internet.  But either way, I just hope you check it out.  It's incredible.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #178 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:25 am
I've got those DVDs and they are pretty amazing and almost too much to comprehend!
I think the guy is actually distributing them himself because the packaging and the labels were very DIY.
It felt good paying for them too because I felt like I was paying directly to Riven.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:11:02 am by robotacon »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #179 on: June 23, 2009, 07:46:11 am

the leg i drew for Scribblette, occured to me that i should probably put my own advice up for critique if i'm going to stand by it and this is a pretty good place for that
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.