AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 403948 times)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #150 on: April 13, 2009, 01:35:55 am
I'm no expert on anatomy, but I do see some issues. Some of the proportions and appearances of body parts don't resemble the same part on the opposite side of the body. The shoulder, for instance is a good example. I don't think you should mirror the sides completely, as things tend to be slightly different, even with such a static pose with a full frontal view. But, if you can draw one side of the body decently, you should probably be able to draw the other side similarly, and decently as well.

Also, not sure what's going on in the stomach/abs area.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #151 on: April 13, 2009, 01:51:46 am
Really check out the pectoral muscles and see how they connect. Your pecs are kind of bubbly and overflowing, where they should be firmer and defined. For example, the top of hte pecs connect to the clavicle and in the centers join to the sternum. You have a line near the top of your pecs which seems like it could be hinting at the clavicle, but it looks sort of randomly placed. Andrew Loomis book are a great  and free reference if you are interested. I've found them a wonderful resource. Start with Fun with a pencil and don't just skip through the first part about circles looking for the detailed reference pics.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #152 on: April 15, 2009, 07:13:45 am
@KuroRyuzaki: I think you need to undergo a study of the skeleton. Knowledge of the skeleton and where/how muscles connect to it is important in understanding the form of the muscles. The pectorals, as mentioned, need to connect with the clavicle, ribcage (at specific points, for instance yours are going over the sternum) and humerus. Deltoids attach to scapula, clavicle and humerus at specific points, etc. Common element is muscles extending over their points of attachment at bones. Abdomen area seem pretty much invented.

@dead_pool: I'd be very careful considering the forms you're trying to lay down. To me it seems like you're focusing a lot on the lines/contours and not as much on the 3D volume of the various areas of the body, and thats leading to some warped/wonky perspective on the form. For instance, the (our) left arm has a bulge that I guess is the pectorals sticking out, but little to suggest the arm that the muscle should be attaching to; seems like a mix of perspectives or a misunderstanding of the anatomy. The line between the breasts I guess is conveying the sternum seems very conflicted with the form suggested by the breasts and the area at the pit of the neck. Once again an apparent mix of perspectives. My suggestion is: work on the whole body at once, iterating detail, construct contours by considering form (not the other way around). Aside from that I think you're going pretty well.

@accident: hard to pin down the form; the lines are very loose. As such, difficult to critique your anatomy. Things I pick up are the chest looking somewhat concave/crushed, neck at an unnatural angle compared to shoulders (looks like its snapped backwards). Aside from that I'd just suggest working on refining your studies to make sure you properly confront areas you find difficult, and simply do more!  :)

Been a while, but I did another sketch from photo:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:16:00 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #153 on: April 15, 2009, 10:16:00 am
Good work. Try to make assured strokes for the contours of the body. Line width should represent curve and the light hitting it, don't let forms get represented just by where the scribbly shading hits a wall, assured strokes!

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #154 on: April 16, 2009, 05:17:40 am
Thanks. Actually I have a lot of trouble controlling my line work with the tablet. I had a small practice session with basic primitive volumes this morning, and I found it's something I'll need to devote more attention to in order to become confident with it.

Aside from that, I tried doing a construction, and I have woeful knowledge of appendages:

:-[

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #155 on: April 16, 2009, 11:19:03 am
The second biggest problem is overlong arms. The constipated pose is puzzling, but not wrong. The biggest problem is the places where the pectorial meets the arm in the armpit, that whole place although not exactly invented is represented pretty sloppily. Those neck muscles on the back of the neck do not show the same way when the hand is low and when the hand is extended, look up some reference.

Offline dead_pool

• View Profile

Reply #156 on: April 17, 2009, 08:58:32 pm
My second attempt at human anatomy. Critique please. If you can, please try to ignore the bad looking hands.
"I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence and I divide them"

email me at (tim.blake.navy@gmail.com)

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #157 on: April 18, 2009, 04:22:32 pm
General proportions incorrect, a lot of stuff around pelvis off (crotch too low, pelvis too narrow); Look up Loomis or something similar for a guide on landmarks on the body and proportions.

Not a great edit; I'm pretty tired and my memory is shot, but that's the best I can make at the moment  :)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:32:04 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline dead_pool

• View Profile

Reply #158 on: April 18, 2009, 05:07:13 pm
Thanks ,Eyecraft, for the great edit, criticism, and guidance. I think i have a severe problem with drawing legs  :(. I get so frustrated I want to be able to draw correct anatomy, but everything I draw is so bad. I practice all the time, but I can't see my progress. Does everyone feel like this at some point or am I alone in this?  :P
EDIT: Also, can anyone suggest any books for noobies in anatomy. I tried some pretty complex stuff I saw on a blog, and it was way to complicated for me. It was on a much more advanced level, for someone who already has a pretty solid understanding of anatomy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 05:11:56 pm by dead_pool »
"I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence and I divide them"

email me at (tim.blake.navy@gmail.com)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #159 on: April 18, 2009, 07:38:35 pm
Your anatomy is horrible? Anything I'd draw would look like garbage compared to yours. You've been doing pretty darn good. Your legs are pretty close, I'd say your arms and stomach/abs area are a bigger problem.

It's going to be hard to get things perfect, but just keep studying and practicing and you'll get there. I know there are a few books referred by the members here, but I can't find them or remember at the moment.